Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming WIFI - F2 - Clover
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I have followed this guide to try and get my settings correct.

I have the latest Clover Configurator installed (5.4.4.0) and have set the machine to a 19,2 (which is an i7-8700 and I have an i7-8700k). I have added a serial number that was checked at checkcoverage.apple.com as suggested. I also generated a random SMUUID using the "generate" button in Clover Configurator. I also replaced the first 12 characters of the board serial number with the serial number I used hardware serial number, leaving the last 5 characters what they were. I saved the plist.config file and restarted.

On restart, I get a different looking clover screen (it is tan in color). If I try to boot OSX, I immediately get the stop sign. I switched on verbose, but that doesn't give me any error messages, I get the stop sign immediately. I have restored back to the stable system, but I need to complete this step and get the SMBIOS settings right.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

LMHmedchem

I also generated a random SMUUID using the "generate" button in Clover Configurator. I also replaced the first 12 characters of the board serial number with the serial number I used hardware serial number, leaving the last 5 characters what they were. I saved the plist.config file and restarted.

I never had to do any of these steps. I just use Clover Configurator to generate Serial, Board Serial, and UUID. Then check to make sure the serial is good and done.

I never had to do any of these steps. I just use Clover Configurator to generate Serial, Board Serial, and UUID. Then check to make sure the serial is good and done.
I will give that a try.

When I check the serial number, I get the message,

"We’re sorry, but this serial number isn’t valid. Please check your information and try again."

my understanding is that it should say,

"We're sorry, the number you have provided cannot be found in our records. Please verify the number and try again"

and not that the number is invalid. Is this true?

I will try again with the method you suggest. I am wondering if there is some issue with calling the system 19,3 when I am using High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G5019) .

LMHmedchem

I will give that a try.

When I check the serial number, I get the message,

"We’re sorry, but this serial number isn’t valid. Please check your information and try again."

my understanding is that it should say,

"We're sorry, the number you have provided cannot be found in our records. Please verify the number and try again"

and not that the number is invalid. Is this true?

I will try again with the method you suggest. I am wondering if there is some issue with calling the system 19,3 when I am using High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G5019) .

LMHmedchem

"not valid" is what you want to see.

I've never tried iMac19,2 or iMac19,3. iMac19,1 worked fine for me.

Well that's one thing I don't have to fix.
Do you mean that you used 19,1 for an i78700k machine?

LMHmedchem

I used it for i9-9900K. But you should have no problems using it with i7-8700K either.

I used it for i9-9900K. But you should have no problems using it with i7-8700K either.
I tried using 19,1 and just left all of the fields as they came up after selecting 19,1 from the list. I still get the boot error. I get the strange clover screen, and then the stop sign, then it shuts down on its own.

I tried starting up again and I got a normal looking clover screen. I turned on verbose and I get a message, "this version of MacOS is not supported on this platform".

I am guessing that the 19, hardware does not ever ship with High Sierra and so the 19, system designations cause this error.

My system is an i7-8700k. Before I was using 18,3 as my system definition (for no particular reason). I was trying to find a number that matched my hardware as closely as possible and there is nothing that really does other than the 19, machines. What should I use for my definition to get this working? Will it matter if the definition I use does not match my hardware?

LMHmedchem

I tried using 19,1 and just left all of the fields as they came up after selecting 19,1 from the list. I still get the boot error. I get the strange clover screen, and then the stop sign, then it shuts down on its own.

I tried starting up again and I got a normal looking clover screen. I turned on verbose and I get a message, "this version of MacOS is not supported on this platform".

I am guessing that the 19, hardware does not ever ship with High Sierra and so the 19, system designations cause this error.

My system is an i7-8700k. Before I was using 18,3 as my system definition (for no particular reason). I was trying to find a number that matched my hardware as closely as possible and there is nothing that really does other than the 19, machines. What should I use for my definition to get this working? Will it matter if the definition I use does not match my hardware?

LMHmedchem

The system definition shouldn't matter too much. I've found iMac18,x to work well with Coffee Lake and Coffee Lake Refresh.

If you really want to use iMac19,x, try adding "-no_compat_check" boot argument to your config.plist.
Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.33.15 PM.png

Personally, I've switched to using iMacPro1,1 with my Z370/i9-9900K system.

The system definition shouldn't matter too much. I've found iMac18,x to work well with Coffee Lake and Coffee Lake Refresh.

If you really want to use iMac19,x, try adding "-no_compat_check" boot argument to your config.plist.

Personally, I've switched to using iMacPro1,1 with my Z370/i9-9900K system.
Thanks, I will try that. I have it working using 18,3 and just keeping all of the values that appear after you select from the list. I thought that the first 12 characters of the board serial number was supposed to be the serial number and the last 5 characters could be random. Is that not true, or not true anymore?

Under System Parameters, the Custom UUID is blank, is this correct?

Also, I noticed there there is a boot flag that looks like it is set to use the NVidia web drivers. I have an AMD card in, so I'm not sure why that would be. It seems to work but I would like to remove it if it shouldn't be there.

LMHmedchem

Thanks, I will try that. I have it working using 18,3 and just keeping all of the values that appear after you select from the list. I thought that the first 12 characters of the board serial number was supposed to be the serial number and the last 5 characters could be random. Is that not true, or not true anymore?

Under System Parameters, the Custom UUID is blank, is this correct?

Also, I noticed there there is a boot flag that looks like it is set to use the NVidia web drivers. I have an AMD card in, so I'm not sure why that would be. It seems to work but I would like to remove it if it shouldn't be there.

LMHmedchem

I have no idea about 12 characters or the last 5 characters... I just use whatever is generated by Clover Configurator.

Yes, I have Custom UUID blank.

If you don't have an Nvidia card, the Nvidia boot flag will do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back