CPU
i5-3317U
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all. Maybe someone still needs to get this old PCI soundcard alive in High Sierra and pretty sure in Catalina as well, so here is my EFI.zip.
It works with Clover v5107. Not tested latest versions. No jittering in sound, also sleep and wake are working.

that is for my desktop setup:
ASUS Sabertooth X58, NVidia GT240, 24gb DDR3

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    24.6 MB · Views: 218
Hello all. Maybe someone still needs to get this old PCI soundcard alive in High Sierra and pretty sure in Catalina as well, so here is my EFI.zip.
It works with Clover v5107. Not tested latest versions. No jittering in sound, also sleep and wake are working.

that is for my desktop setup:
ASUS Sabertooth X58, NVidia GT240, 24gb DDR3
@dioxine - Wow this is a blast from the past! I have this soundcard too, but I sacrificed it for a SATA controller when I moved to motherboards that reduced the number of full sized PCI slots. Did it need extra drivers or any extra work to get it up and running?

Currently for audio work, I have a USB interface, so it's not urgent, but I do remember that this was a great card.

@dioxine - Wow this is a blast from the past! I have this soundcard too, but I sacrificed it for a SATA controller when I moved to motherboards that reduced the number of full sized PCI slots. Did it need extra drivers or any extra work to get it up and running?

Currently for audio work, I have a USB interface, so it's not urgent, but I do remember that this was a great card.

Latest driver with working sleep-wake ability is included into EFI.zip. I had an issues with jittering in sound on my setup, so i recreated config.plist totally, removed almost all ACPI patches and quirks. Of course it is for my hardware setup, but i think its a good start tuning it for any hw setup with normally functioning Envy24 driver finally.

Last edited:
Updated: I've just installed Catalina 10.15.7 with almost same EFI (only added NullCPUPowerManagement.kext for my unsupported CPU and switched to MacPro 6.1 in SMBIOS), soundcard works smooth. Tested it in Bitwig and Ableton - no jittering.

Screenshot 2021-12-25 at 15.09.30.png

Your Ivy Bridge CPU is supported in macOS, just not natively in macOS Catalina.

If you were running an earlier version of macOS, did you generate an SSDT.aml for CPU power Management, as recommended in every Ivy Bridge guide I have ever read.

Using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is a complete cop out, it basically lets macOS run your CPU with no power stepping, generates lots of unnecessary heat and will cause the premature death of your CPU. That kext is only meant for short-term use while installing macOS/OS X and until a custom SSDT.aml can be generated for the Ivy Bridge CPU.

See this old guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.222982/

Your Ivy Bridge CPU is supported in macOS, just not natively in macOS Catalina.

If you were running an earlier version of macOS, did you generate an SSDT.aml for CPU power Management, as recommended in every Ivy Bridge guide I have ever read.

Using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is a complete cop out, it basically lets macOS run your CPU with no power stepping, generates lots of unnecessary heat and will cause the premature death of your CPU. That kext is only meant for short-term use while installing macOS/OS X and until a custom SSDT.aml can be generated for the Ivy Bridge CPU.

See this old guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.222982/
I was talking about my desktop setup, not a notebook one. So in my desktop i have Westmere-EP on Xeon X5650, much older than Ivy Bridge. Yes, NullCPUPowerManagement completly disables native macOS power management, but setting Generate options is Clover to automatically generate PStates and CStates return PM back. My CPU is overclocked to 4Ghz with disabled Turbo Boost, and it is very very old, so it has only two steps, and here they are automatically changing at almost idle CPU:
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 12.36.12.png
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 12.36.18.png

and with hardly loaded all 6 cores and 6 hyperthreading lines using terminal ( yes > /dev/null & ) way i get this:
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 12.44.14.png
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 12.44.31.png

so i can say even with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and correct Clover settings, i get working PM.
i have generated SSDT.aml especially for my overclocked to 4Ghz CPU somewhere in files, but im lazy and found it's much easier to turn on that checkboxes in clover.

But for guys, who has modern or not such old setup as my desktop there is no need in NullCPUPowerManagement.kext at all.

P.S. Don't look and my AC power supply voltages, it is in dying stage :)

Last edited:
I know a few things about Hack’s but what I am not is a mind reader!

If your profile signature says you are using an Ivy Bridge CPU, then logically that is what I am going to think you are using. At what point did you think it prudent to tell us you were using an old Xeon CPU? Yes I should have realised an Ivy Bridge CPU wouldn’t work on an X58 board, but hey, next time do us a favour and tell us the full specs of the system not just part.

You need to look at replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard.

Hi. I have DMX6Fire 2496 PCI. After my modifications, this card runs on High Sierra. Proposition for modification are welcome. In plan is add switch input and MIDI support.
This is a link to my repository: https://github.com/donarturo11/Envy24-new

Definitely buggy for me... and it was me that modded the driver... for Mavericks in 2017. Nothing but annoying robotic noise in Mojave on my old Dell Optiplex 9020/OC 0.8.8.

It could also be that the card is toasted after all those years unused in a drawer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back