Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 F23g
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
My Comet Lake build is missing settable items in the System Preferences --> Energy Saver user interface.

This is a completely new Big Sur 11.2.1 20D75 installation, on a new Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SSD, and NOT a macOS upgrade from a previous macOS incarnation.
Everything one can think of is however working as it should, sleep included, just wandering where the missing items have "vanished" to, anyone has any ideas or suggestions I can pursue to restore them or make them visible should they just be hidden ?
The screenshots should put some light on the subject at hand which also includes a screenshot as to
what Hackintool displays under it's power setting section, for this particular hack.

Greeting Henties

Attachments

• Effective power settings according to Hackintool.png
    Effective power settings according to Hackintool.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Energy Saver settable options missing.png
    Energy Saver settable options missing.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 118
Seems to be X86PlatformPlugin not loaded, make sure plugin-type 1 is enabled and match CPU definition ( like ACPI code CPU0 or PR00 or C000) in ssdt.

@shuhung thank you for your response, but I am a bit lost with your suggestion
about a X86PlatformPlugin that needs to be loaded, kindly elaborate as I have never heard about that plugin over the past 10 years I have been hacking.

Greetings Henties

kindly elaborate as I have never heard about that plugin over the past 10 years I have been hacking.

X86PlatformPlugin, system power management plugin, activated by plug-in type = 1, required for activate CPU and GPU power management.

My Comet Lake build is missing settable items in the System Preferences --> Energy Saver user interface.

This is a completely new Big Sur 11.2.1 20D75 installation, on a new Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SSD, and NOT a macOS upgrade from a previous macOS incarnation.
Everything one can think of is however working as it should, sleep included, just wandering where the missing items have "vanished" to, anyone has any ideas or suggestions I can pursue to restore them or make them visible should they just be hidden ?
The screenshots should put some light on the subject at hand which also includes a screenshot as to
what Hackintool displays under it's power setting section, for this particular hack...
Perhaps you need the SSDT that activates plugin-type=1, see posts 1 and 2 of this thread, you need SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml: power management on Haswell and newer CPUs, not required on AMD; to configure the plugin-type=1 parameter on the first processor.

@shuhung Thank you for your latest response. Indeed many moons ago @RehabMan discovered that setting plugin-type=1, will invoke NATIVE Apple CPU power management, something I indeed implemented with the SSDT-PLUG.aml in the ACPI folder of my Comet Lake build, initially I just got a bit confused with the terminology u used in your reply. So far so good, but then I implemented the CPUFriend method of CPU power management on top of that and there is where things seemingly started going wrong with my Comet Lake build. The CPUFriend method is NOT a NATIVE Apple power management method and indeed seems to interfere with what plugin-type=1 attempts to achieve, in fact CPUFriend removes plugin-type=1 from the IORegistry, thereby disabling NATIVE Apple CPU power management and taking control of the power management process by itself.

I subsequently removed the CPUFriend.kext and its CPUFriendDataProvider.kext from my opencore 0.6.6 Kexts folder and voila matters begin to lighten up.

IORegistry Explorer now once again shows plugin-type=1, under PR00@0, the respective IORegistry Explorer attachment refers.

The Energy Saver options under System Preferences also started to look slightly better as its now at least also displays "Enable Power Nap" as a settable option.
There are however still 2 items missing from that input screen being:

1. Put hard disks to sleep when possible.
2. Start up automatically after a power failure

Under item 1 above I wonder whether the non appearance of that particular settable entry has to do with the fact that I have no old fashioned "spinning" hard disks present in my Comet Lake build. For storing operating systems code, such as for Big Sur, Windows and Linux I rely entirely on NVMEs or SSDs. For storage of generated Data I rely exclusively on 4 x 2 TB SSD drives.

My comment under item 2 above is that although it is not visible as a settable item
the machine does however behave as though that invisible item is indeed set, because once a power failure occurs, and subsequently restores, the machine restarts automatically as intended.

Your views, or for that matter, anybody else's view on points 1 and 2 above will be appreciated, obviously any suggestions to assist in approving matters still further are also most welcome.

Greetings Henties

Attachments:
a. My Skylake Energy Saver settable items.
b. SSDT-PLUG.aml used in the ACPI folder of my Comet Lake build
c. Comet Lake IORegistry explorer excerpt showing plugin-type=1 after removal of
CPUFriend,kext and its data provider kext.
d. Comet Lake Energy Saver settings after CPUFriend.kext removal.
e. Comet Lake Hackintool Power settings.
f. Comet Lake Geek Bench scores.

Attachments

• Comet Lake Energy Saver settings.png
    Comet Lake Energy Saver settings.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Comet Lake Geekbench scores.png
    Comet Lake Geekbench scores.png
    450.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Comet Lake IORegistry explorer.png
    Comet Lake IORegistry explorer.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Comet Lake Power settings.png
    Comet Lake Power settings.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Skylake Energy Saver.png
    Skylake Energy Saver.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 66
  • SSDT-PLUG.aml
    161 bytes · Views: 46
@miliuco Thanks, please refer to my previous posting and assist to improve matters further.

Greetings Henties

@miliuco Thanks, please refer to my previous posting and assist to improve matters further.

Greetings Henties
I see. SkyLake dialog is ok but in comet lake effectively 2 options are missing.
About hibernatefile, this is how I have configured these options in my Coffee Lake system, I believe that hibernatefile should not be null unless you configure it like that for some reason.

pmset.png

You already have SSDT.PLUG and you have X86PlatformPlugin right also.
I can't think of how to fix the Energy Saver dialog missing options.

The CPUFriend method is NOT a NATIVE Apple power management method and indeed seems to interfere with what plugin-type=1 attempts to achieve, in fact CPUFriend removes plugin-type=1 from the IORegistry, thereby disabling NATIVE Apple CPU power management and taking control of the power management process by itself.

Seems to be incorrect.

CPUFriend support native XCPM from Haswell up, support plugin-type 1 and 0 (for legacy CPU), use for custom frequency vector table injection, equal to native Apple CPUPM + custom frequency vector control, able to beat Apple HWP CPU PM.

Result of CPUFriend frequency table injection on KBL, perfect power comsumption and no performance drop on my KBL.
1613686611197.png

Try attach sample and see the different, frequency vector + plugin-type =1 aml, should work with Comet Lake.

Attachments

• ssdt-data.aml.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
@miliuco Yes I do not use hibernate mode neither do I want a sleep image being generated every time my hack goes to sleep. Each sleep invocation generates a new sleep image file, megabytes in size, deleting the old in the process, just consider the data volume that this entails over a period of only one week, a rather unnecessary horrendous workload for my poor SSDs that I want to last longer than just a year or 2. For that reason I direct the creation and maintenance of the sleepimage to a /dev/null bitbucket, thereby relieving the strain on the affected SSD or NVMe.

Greetings Henties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back