Contribute
Register

End Of MacOS on Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah exactly. Although I would split between the Desktop machines and the Macbooks.
I can see an Apple made chip be absolutely great on a 12 inch Macbook and be optimized very well to be one of the best laptop on the market... I mean Battery life could be crazy good.
iMacs on the other side might take quite awhile since Apple doesn't do chips for desktops yet and has nearly no experience on this side.
With an Apple designed, Arm based chip in a Macbook Pro they could probably eliminate all of the fans too. How cool would that be ?

@trs96 totally agree !
I wonder how muchg efford is it to make current Applications work on an ARM Cpu.

@trs96 totally agree !
I wonder how muchg efford is it to make current Applications work on an ARM Cpu.
Well on the one hand we have Project Marzipan which should help on the other hand you can already look @ photoshop on the Ipad. Although I'm not sure if they remade the entire program or worked with apple to show one use-case of Marzipan.
But I actually think Project marzipan will show us how likely it is we see it in the near future.

homohurre123 Thank you for the answer, I didnt even know about that Mazipan Project

Writers on the internet do this to get page views for their site. Here's an example of another wrong prediction. These started in about 2012 and have continued each year.
According to a report from Bloomberg, Apple is working on three new Macs which it will release as soon as this year. These are apparently arriving in the form of two laptops and one desktop, each sporting Apple’s own new co-processors.

Well this was written in January 2018.

Obviously we never saw those in 2018. More fake news to get people to click on a story and up the page views.
Don't believe these "news releases" till Apple actually releases products with these chips in them.

Will Apple eventually do this ? Probably a few Macbooks and the Air will have ARM based A chips but that doesn't mean every Mac they make (desktops specifically) is going to be switched the A chips. They won't completely leave Intel behind in 2020 and make every chip built into all Macs, as Macrumors wants you to believe.

It would be a complete joke to release the next Mac Pro this year with a $10,000 pricetag and a 28 core Xeon CPU and then pull all Intel Support in macOS by about 2022 except for some x86 emulator software. If I were to buy a 2019/20 Mac Pro and they did this, that would immediately end my use of all Apple hardware products.

How many A series chips would it take to replace one 28 core Xeon ? Probably about 6 of them. Apple completely abandoning Intel support in their Mac desktop line would be suicidal. If they really want to kill off the Mac completely that's the way to do that. Switching from PPC chips to Intel was necessary 14 years ago because PPC chips were too hot and slower than Intel processors. ARM chips do use less power and produce less heat but you simply can't get the processing power or speed you need for the iMac Pro or Mac Pro to function up to the specs of what's already available from Intel.

If you were to ask any professional whether they care about being able to run iOS apps on their pro level Mac desktop they would laugh and tell you that is completely ludicrous. Apple made ARM chips might get put into iMacs and Mac Pros as a secondary processor but not as the main CPU. I think there will still be Intel x86 support long after 2020 arrives. It's obvious that Apple wants complete control of everything that goes in to making a Mac. They plan on eventually making their own graphics cards too. As the saying goes, "you don't build Rome in a day." It will be quite a few years until they can be completely free of Intel, Samsung and AMD. That is their goal, we'll see if they can pull it off.

Last edited:
Interesting article, but it overlooks some things. First is that the desktop processor is reaching maturity, as in all of the 'easier' improvements have been made, so further improvement will be slower and more difficult as a result.

I think absolute performance is not the point, but the end result that Apple cares about. Apple using their own silicon means they can integrate in a way that isn't likely possible using chips from Intel that is also offered to other companies.

I personally hope Apples doesn't go away from X64 desktop because Apple is the one computer you can buy and run any OS, and losing that would be a devastating blow to Apple's sales that would push Apple back to 1995. Virtualization is used extensively by Mac people to run those Windows apps that don't run on natively, or in Microsoft's Excel the Apple version is significantly handicapped or incompetently developed.

AMD is a much bigger problem for Intel, because unifying the GPU and CPU in to a single unit will be big, and AMD is superior with graphics and HBM memory. Not hard to imaging a AMD package with 64GB of HBM memory and CPU/GPU combination combined.

Apple going their own way would really push the Mac in to the zone of iPad Pro with an attached keyboard! Though, maybe playing Infinity Blade with a mouse and keyboard will be fun?

I hope they don't do it just because 'Can't innovate my ass!' That didn't go so well last time.

But then, you can run Windows 10 on ARM today, and of course you can run Linux and Unix on ARM already. So maybe it won't be bad as I tend to assume it would be.

But then Apple could very likely make the Mac just like the iPhone, you can run any iOS you want as long as it is a recent version.

at apple, nothing bothers me anymore. Look how much hardware the messed up in the past up to date.
eg, overheating, the new broken keyboards or the T2 bug

I've not heard anyone mention this as a possibility
Why can't Apple use a hybrid ARM/x86 chip in it's Mac Desktops in 2020 ? Would be the best of both worlds.
AMD has worked on this in the past and recently they have posted a job opening in December 2018. Nearly
every one of the job postings says: "Experienced with CPU core verification on x86/ARM is a plus."

I know that this doesn't prove that Apple is involved in any way. But the idea that AMD could produce hybrid ARM/x86-64 chips to get them through the transition years, till they can produce all of their own desktop class ARM chips for the Mac lineup, would certainly be interesting. Would greatly extend the years our CustoMacs will still work with macOS.

Last edited:
ARM's big advantage is its low energy usage and the CPU power required to meet many users needs is actually pretty small and easily accommodated by ARM chips. Windows laptops with ARM chips provide at least twice the battery life of Intel equivalents and should Windows provide a method to have laptops which last twice as long as mac laptops then I suspect that would lead to a serious dent on Apple laptop sales. Bringing the same programs to the two different platforms using a system which allowed programmers to write once and compile for both platforms seems the only way that would allow apple to take advantage of ARM's low power usage on moby's and low-end laptops whilst at the same time allowing for their power users to continue on the Intel platform. (Much like NT4's ability to run on different chips).

My bet is on a unified programming environment with two versions of programs compiled for ARM and Intel; preparing for that is no small task and may require quite an overhaul of Apple based programming so a dual ARM/x64 machine might provide a good stop gap and method of transition but my bet is that they will go along the same path as Windows Surface machines with two distinct platforms with new low powered laptops being ARM based and their more powerful laptops and desktops sticking with Intel but both able to run similar programs complied for each of the cpu types. In the long-term, unless Intel finds some better power management, ARM has the advantage, for the majority of computer users don't require high computational power (and when they do, there are increasingly more ways to shift this work onto the cloud) and users care a lot about how long their battery lasts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back