Contribute
Register

End Of MacOS on Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to buy the new Mac Pro but if this guy is rendered useless in three years, this makes no sense.

Here's what a professional technology writer thinks. It would be a minimum of 5 years before a Mac Pro could be non-Intel based.

Here's what a professional technology writer thinks. It would be a minimum of 5 years before a Mac Pro could be non-Intel based.

5 years is a short period when you invest over 10000 dollars !

That's the point !

Pro users are a miniscule part of Apple's revenue. Even so, I don't think they would be so foolish as to leave them high and dry like they did PowerPC users back in 2006 with the Intel transition. I hope they learned a lesson. Also remember that Jobs was the CEO then and they do listen, slightly more, to what their customers want now. Why even build a new iMac Pro or Mac Pro now if they would be obsolete by 2021 ?

Pro users are a miniscule part of Apple's revenue. Even so, I don't think they would be so foolish as to leave them high and dry like they did PowerPC users back in 2006 with the Intel transition. I hope they learned a lesson. Also remember that Jobs was the CEO then and they do listen, slightly more, to what their customers want now. Why even build a new iMac Pro or Mac Pro now if they would be obsolete by 2021 ?

That's an interesting point. It has been about a year since they had that round table session with industry pros to discuss what they wanted in a Mac Pro and have been developing the machine since. That sounds like a lot of engineering effort just to kill it a year or two later.

The next really exciting thing will be the new modular MacPro, how modular it will be and its starting price !

I wanted to buy the new Mac Pro but if this guy is rendered useless in three years, this makes no sense.
Let's say you buy the next, 2018, hopefully, Mac Pro. You use it for 5 years and are on macOS 10.19 or whatever it's called then. Apple comes out with a new MP refresh with their own chip. That 10.19 is still going to be supported and functional for 2-3 more years. Many Pro video editors I know do not use the latest and greatest version of macOS or even FCPX. The now ancient FCP 7 was just laid to rest in 2017. Many people never upgraded from that because they like it so much.

https://nofilmschool.com/2017/08/death-comes-final-cut-7

The switch doesn't make sense to me. The ARM architecture can't really replace the X86 architecture or vice versa. I know Apple was able to design ARM chips that perform very well for mobile devices compared to some x86 mobile chips, but we are comparing the top notch highest end ARM chips with the low end scum of the X86 chips. When it comes to performance, X86 is unbeatable by a long margin, it doesn't matter if that's Intel or AMD. When it comes to battery life, ARM is much better.

Apple is trying to introduce the idea that the word "computer" is nonsense, all you need is an iPad pro. But that only holds true if you are a 10 year old kid with no real homework to do. I know that most people only use their computers for Facebook, email and very light task that could be done with some iPod touch, meaning that Apple has some incoherences to explain in their line up , why you keep selling laptops when all you need is an iPad with a "keyboard"?.

While the lowest end MacBook has a ARM like performance level with no so great battery life , at the very least the macOS Operating System deserves an appropriate CPU architecture, there's a hardware ecosystem and infrastructure around the x86 instruction set that make "computers" far more useful and pleasant to deal with.

For me, if true, this is a sign that Apple wants to abandon the desktop market. They make most of their money from mobile anyway.

Apple doesn’t care about the desktop anymore. How much more obvious can they be. They do not offer a decent desktop in a price range for the average consumer. Why spend $1k+ for an iMac when you can build a faster system for less than $400. The underpowered Mac mini hasn’t been updated in years. iMacs are not upgradeable and the iMac pro is just a show off piece. Sure if money is no object Apple “desktops” are great. The company has moved away from what most of us who hackintosh would like. I love MacOS but I will only consider it by building a Hackintosh. I spend 90%+ of my “computing” time on my iPad Pro. Which includes photo editing, writing, and email. (I don’t do social media, or play games). As iOS develops I am not sure a desktop Mac will be a necessity in 2020. I have the desktop to access old files and because there are just some tasks that just work better on the desktop. Once iOS hits its maturity in a couple more years I don’t think very many people will be concerned about apple desktops anymore. It really will not matter what cpu brand is used. The future will be portable, personal, and of course very profitable for apple.

For me, if true, this is a sign that Apple wants to abandon the desktop market. They make most of their money from mobile anyway.

Apple doesn’t care about the desktop anymore.

It goes along with the design direction of APFS. The new file system is optimized towards machines with a single solid state drive using the cloud for backups, and does nothing helpful for hard-disk-drives. I haven't heard anything to suggest HFS+ will see further improvements. My general feeling is Apple considers machines with traditional disk drives as outside their scope now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back