Contribute
Register

End Of MacOS on Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Apple released brand new machines this week that used non-Intel CPU's, it would still take close to a decade before they stop supporting their current Intel line. And who the hell knows where we'll be in a decade software and hardware wise? For all we know we'll all be using Google terminals by then and doing everything on the cloud.

I am amazed at the degree of alarm on these forums, this is nonsensical.
It's a big change. And honestly, the rumors about apple doing it have always had me a bit.... anxious. I really really like apple software but I switched to windows xp and linux during after G3 original iMac era and only came back to apple once they started making x86 computers so that I could run all the software I needed one way or another. The idea of them switching and me not being able to have a windows partition or virtualization instead of emulation means that I'd have a hard time buying a Mac. I'd probably switch to a Linux distribution at that point for my daily use and boot into windows for the required software.

One more interesting and perhaps relevant bit of news this week perhaps buried in the drama about Intel Macs:

https://stratechery.com/2018/the-end-of-windows/

If you look at the Apple rumors in this context, it becomes more apparent that big US tech companies are doubling down on cloud: whether it really is better or not, it is the future, because it is better for them. What do you need an Intel x86 chip under the hood for if your apps are running in the cloud?

Anyone who knows more than a few things about this industry, however, knows that using cloud apps has sweeping implications for privacy and data integrity. Cloud is a big win for application developers because they get to develop vastly less of their code for multiple platforms, and if your app is browser/web based, it gets even simpler.

Some of the biggest costs of these architecture changes will be pushed down to end users, however. If you want to retain control, I strongly suggest getting fluent with linux. Whether it "does what you need" or not, you need to figure out how to make it work or you will be subscribing to everything from here on out whether you like it or not.

I received this piece of news this morning:
https://www.techworm.net/2018/04/apple-to-use-own-mac-chips.html
Apple will switch totally to its own chips on Macs starting from 2020
So I guess this website has less than 2 years of life before being archived.

Bloomberg said:
according to people familiar with the plans...................said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private information.

Sounds legit....but it could make some sense for the Macbook and MacBook Air, less so for desktops for some time to go yet? What do you think. Will Apple stop using all Intel's processors for the iMac, iMac Pro and Mac Pro?

Sounds legit....but it could make some sense for the Macbook and MacBook Air, less so for desktops for some time to go yet? What do you think. Will Apple stop using all Intel's processors for the iMac, iMac Pro and Mac Pro?
It seems that Apple is going to stop using Intel processors step by step, first on Macbooks and Macbook Pro without discrete GPUs

So I guess this website has less than 2 years of life before being archived.
that would imply that in less in 2 years all existing Macs would get outdated and no longer supported.
I doubt that it will happen so fast.

IMAGE 2018-04-04 14:23:30.jpg

I have an easier time believing that Apple will make a bid for AMD and using AMD to make their own X86 CPUs. That would give them the control they want for CPU and GPU.

I wanted to buy the new Mac Pro but if this guy is rendered useless in three years, this makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back