Contribute
Register

End Of MacOS on Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a very misleading article. The author and Bloomberg are talking about co-processors. He uses just "processors" after the first paragraph to make it sound like Apple will be replacing Intel CPUs with it's own A series chips. That is simply not true. The author should have explained what co-processors actually do. Mostly handle just power management and security. He is just using this as click bait.

Well folks , the Intel share price just dropped 8% and Apple gives Intel 5% of its total profit so do the math.

Will the change from Intel to Apple Processors in 2020 also affect desktops?
You posted in Buying Advice so I have moved your post to this existing thread.

Will the change from Intel to Apple Processors in 2020 also affect desktops? I am interested in a new build for a desktop hackintosh, but I am hearing that Apple is planning to move from Intel to its own processor. What does this mean for the hackintosh community? Thanks for your comments. Here is a link to an article about the change.
https://usat.ly/2Grdq6l via @usatoday
Exceptionally hard to say for sure. But lets say that in 2020 all Mac laptops and desktops move to arm chips. They'll still support amd64 arch for several years after 2020 because they're not going to suddenly drop support on the 2019's that someone just bought a month before the 2020 models came out. So if you're looking to build now I'd say that you still have probably 4-5 years of being able to upgrade to the newest version of MacOS on an amd64 build. Then several more of being slightly outdated software wise but still usable.

Will the change from Intel to Apple Processors in 2020 also affect desktops? I am interested in a new build for a desktop hackintosh, but I am hearing that Apple is planning to move from Intel to its own processor. What does this mean for the hackintosh community? Thanks for your comments. Here is a link to an article about the change.
https://usat.ly/2Grdq6l via @usatoday

As you know, no one can perfectly predict what will happen years from now. If you consider a few things happening now you can get some insight into what will likely happen. You will likely be able to use a hackintosh you build now for some time after 2020. Think about how well the iMac Pro is selling this year. It's Intel Xeon based. Some people are paying over $13,000 for a maxed out iMac Pro. The Mac Pro yet to appear for sale will be even more expensive than that. I'm sure that most who buy these expect it to be relevant for the next 3-5 years minimum. If Apple were to completely drop support for these in 2020 the major investments by current buyers would be pretty much worthless, no resale value. You would have some extremely upset customers. I don't think Apple would be that harsh and cut off all Intel based Macs that quickly. There may be some other plan they have to keep Intel Macs working but obviously no one outside of Apple knows what that may be. I doubt it would be emulation when the tasks like editing and rendering with the iMac Pro and Mac Pro would suffer greatly in that scenario. Just think, all the Pros using these pricey Mac desktops could easily switch to Windows 10 on these machines in 2020 and use Premiere Pro. Then Apple loses a Pro customer, sales of FCP X go down and Apple's pro reputation goes down the tubes as well. Not likely to happen in my opinion.

Last edited:
Don't you just love the dramatic titles internet sites use to write about this ? They really like violent language suggesting murder and death. So dramatic. Can't you just see someone smashing an Intel macbook pro with an axe ? :confused:

https://gizmodo.com/apple-reportedly-killing-laptops-with-intel-inside-the-1824262384

Here's a youtuber trying to get clicks on his channel:

Screen Shot 11.jpg

In his title he has RIP hackintosh 2020. LOL

Don't you just love the dramatic titles internet sites use to write about this ? They really like violent language suggesting murder and death. So dramatic. Can't you just see someone smashing an Intel macbook pro with an axe ? :confused:

https://gizmodo.com/apple-reportedly-killing-laptops-with-intel-inside-the-1824262384

Here's a youtuber trying to get clicks on his channel:

View attachment 322644

In his title he has RIP hackintosh 2020. LOL
Clickbait unfortunately works. Ads really have made things go downhill.

Finally, there is one Youtuber (Gary Sims) that clearly explains what is actually going on with the resurfacing of the Apple ditching Intel desktop chips for their own designs rumor. Nice work Gary :thumbup: Wonder how he does such a sharp green screen in his vid ? He could have made his main pts. in 3 minutes or less but he takes time in the beginning to explain and give background for those that are not techies. Spoiler alert. Gary does state that this "leak" may be a way for Apple to negotiate a better deal with Intel on what they pay for desktop chips. Watch the video through to the end to hear his view on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back