Contribute
Register

End Of MacOS on Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came off the wire! Is this the end of Hackintosh as we know it?!! https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...or-muted-start-to-second-quarter-markets-wrap
Not really, even if this is true, they still have to support the existing Intel Macs for 3-5 years from now. Don't worry. Be Happy.
This public service announcement brought to you by Chicken Little.

upload_2018-4-2_13-35-31.png

Last edited:
My guess is that they will only come out with Macbooks with Arm based chips by 2020, not the full Mac lineup. They could never replace an 18 Core Xeon W chip in the iMac Pro in 2 years.

Agreed.

Gizmodo's Alex Crans just quoted us in this article. :thumbup:

Apple Reportedly Killing Laptops With Intel Inside, the Hackintosh, Dreams

https://gizmodo.com/apple-reportedly-killing-laptops-with-intel-inside-the-1824262384

In an email, noted hackintosh community leader tonymacx86 told Gizmodo that, if the rumors are accurate, Apple would at least have to support x86 through 2020 as otherwise it would kill many of the laptops people are buying today. But tonymacx86 said that when support ended, “it would have a negative effect on the Hackintosh community.” Yet he wasn’t all doom and gloom. “Although it’s very possible that it may spark the open source community to create projects to regain support.”

Apple's chips inside the iPhone and iPad are pretty impressive and have come a long way. Apple is definitely right on track.

Still, I doubt chips like those are able to replace Intel CPU's like those inside an iMac Pro or Mac Pro. Even in the near future.

It's actually pretty dumb if you ask me. Apple will lose allot of pro-users. Also, we won't be able to run Windows on a Mac anymore.

Last edited:
Apple's chips inside the iPhone and iPad are pretty impressive and have come a long way. Apple is definitely right on track.

Still, I doubt chips like those are able to replace Intel CPU's like those inside an iMac Pro or Mac Pro. Even in the near future.

It's actually pretty dumb if you ask me. Apple will lose allot of pro-users. Also, we won't be able to run Windows on a Mac anymore.

Losing Bootcamp is what would sadden me and makes me doubt the article.

I consider the PPC days the bad old days because to use Windows software you had to use emulation that really slowed things down. Now on a Mac you can use wine, virtualization, or Bootcamp to be able to run the windows apps you might need, and there are a lot of things where you do need a few windows apps. The switch to intel allowed Macs to be a general purpose computer rather than a very nice niche computer. Going back to a different arch would be a step backwards unless they get a lot of developers on board to port a lot of software.

The loss of the ability to make a hackintosh wouldn't honestly bother me. I made mine because I wanted to take apart MacOS to see how it worked for a learning experience.

If they do completely switch to ARM based chips for every Mac they would never use low power A series chips such as those found in mobile devices. You would need so many of them it would not be space or cost effective. What will probably happen is they will eventually design their own desktop chips and have a company such as AMD fabricate the chips for them. That would pair AMD ARM chips with AMD graphics and then Apple has complete control of the most important hardware in a Mac. Whether they can compete with Intel on that front remains to be seen. If this scenario does play out it leaves Intel with a very small slice of the Apple pie. As of today they'd only be selling Apple 4G modems for the iPhone X.

Last edited:
If they do completely switch to ARM based chips for every Mac they would never use low power A series chips such as those found in mobile devices. You would need so many of them it would not be space or cost effective. What will probably happen is they will eventually design their own desktop chips and have a company such as AMD fabricate the chips for them. That would pair AMD ARM chips with AMD graphics and then Apple has complete control of the most important hardware in a Mac. Whether they can compete with Intel on that front remains to be seen. If this scenario does play out it leaves Intel with a very small slice of the Apple pie. As of today they'd only be selling Apple 4G modems for the iPhone X.

Oh, but we have no idea how far along they are in development. Apple guards its secrets quite zealously. I still think it is likely that we see Intel x86 coprocessors in pro-class Macs for some time to come, simply because there are too many things those customers need to be able to do that is outside of Apple's ecosystem, and I doubt that a software-based way to do these things is practical; besides, the coprocessor softens the blow to Intel.

Rest assured that the boot process and pretty much everything else will be under the control of the Apple chip. I had earlier made the assumption that MacOS was on life support and Apple wasn't planning to put the kind of cash into their PCs to make something like this happen...I guess I was wrong!

Will the change from Intel to Apple Processors in 2020 also affect desktops? I am interested in a new build for a desktop hackintosh, but I am hearing that Apple is planning to move from Intel to its own processor. What does this mean for the hackintosh community? Thanks for your comments. Here is a link to an article about the change.
https://usat.ly/2Grdq6l via @usatoday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back