Contribute
Register

End Of MacOS on Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a very misleading article. The author and Bloomberg are talking about co-processors. He uses just "processors" after the first paragraph to make it sound like Apple will be replacing Intel CPUs with it's own A series chips. That is simply not true. The author should have explained what co-processors actually do. Mostly handle just power management and security. He is just using this as click bait.

Last edited:
That is a very misleading article. The author and Bloomberg are talking about co-processors. He uses just "processors" after the first paragraph to make it sound like Apple will be replacing Intel CPUs with it's own A series chips. That is simply not true. The author should have explained what co-processors actually do. Mostly handle just power management and security. He is just using this as click bait.
Yes, misleading

I read that article, or one like it and assumed the same thing. For those of us who are not as knowledgable, can anyone explain simply how a hackintosh without a co-processor handles the same OS needs? Or more precisely, how a hackintosh can run without the Apple co-processor.

Not happening.

I remember the days when you could buy a separate co-processor and fit it to your motherboard if you wanted extra speed for mathematical calculations. They were called Maths Co-Processors, funnily enough. There was a nice big socket, usually next to the CPU for you to push the thing in.

Pretty soon CPU manufacturers included these on the main CPU die. I forget when the change occurred but I *think* it was after 486 chips or the first Pentiums. Memory might be playing tricks on the timing.

The quoted article is a pretty poor example of the type because it doesn't really seem to explain what it's on about. Yes, Apple make CPUs for their mobile devices. The way all CPU manufacturers are going forward is combining more and more on the CPU die to save manufacturing costs. Perhaps the writer is suggesting Apple will use similar in their desktops.

Of relevance, most modern laptops use mobile versions of the CPU range. For Intel (non-ARM) these now *include* memory controllers and USB/In-Out controllers, whereas their desktop chips use a North/South Bridge arrangement, which are separate chips in different places on the motherboard. So building a mobile device is easier with just one chip rather than several.

:)

Well Ladies and Gents - this was literally just released on Bloomberg a few minutes ago. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...to-move-from-intel-to-own-mac-chips-from-2020

"The initiative, code named Kalamata, is still in the early developmental stages, but comes as part of a larger strategy to make all of Apple’s devices -- including Macs, iPhones, and iPads -- work more similarly and seamlessly together, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private information. The project, which executives have approved, will likely result in a multi-step transition."

Hopefully it is more along the lines of co-processors as discussed above. That being said, Apple's in-house chips have come a long way.

people familiar with the plans

the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private information.

Take this with a few grains of salt. Anyone that actually works for Apple cannot disclose any of this, especially to Bloomberg. If they did they would be fired immediately. So this has to be second hand information and likely guesses. I'll believe it if I hear Apple officially announce this, not just people with no face and no name.

This seems all too familiar. Look at this news story from nearly 6 yrs. ago published on Cult of Mac. People also make these "announcements" to influence the stock market. They first short Intel Stock, then release a story like this and hope everyone believes it and dumps their Intel stock out of fear, a knee jerk reaction. They then profit from short selling. Sneaky isn't it ?
Here's proof:
Intel Corp. INTC, -7.01% shares fell sharply Monday after a report that Apple Inc.AAPL, -1.56% will begin outfitting its Mac personal computers with its own chips in two years. Intel stock was already suffering on the day, down about 5%, but fell to losses of more than 9% after Bloomberg News reported that Apple could make the move as early as 2020. Bloomberg cited anonymous sources for the report.
Screen_Shot_9.jpg

My guess is that they will only come out with Macbooks with Arm based chips by 2020, not the full Mac lineup. They would be hard pressed to replace an 18 Core Xeon W chip with an A series ARM processor in the iMac Pro in 2 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back