Contribute
Register

End Of MacOS on Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if that affect Mac Sales in the next years.
If that really come true means that if you buy now a $10000 iMacPro it might get no longer supported quite soon

I wonder if that affect Mac Sales in the next years.
If that really come true means that if you buy now a $10000 iMacPro it might get no longer supported quite soon

This is speculation at best. I have strange feeling it a new iPad Pro

Doubt Intel will simply let Apple walk away from their partnership.

There is some possibility that Apple could use its own chips for low power macbook air and some of the other low power use products. There are clear limitations to Apple's A** range of processors and as powerful as they are for mobile use, there isn't going to be the level of horsepower available for much past basic home or office productivity tasks - great for many in the target audience on specific product lines.

If anyone seriously looks at these stories that appear to be getting attributed to unofficial sources in Chinese or far east manufacturing then please explain the capabilities an iMac Pro or new Mac Pro would be using processors designed for an iPad or iPhone?

I would say on the balance of probability that Apple will be using desktop processors in many of its products for some time to come.

If they do completely switch to ARM based chips for every Mac they would never use low power A series chips such as those found in mobile devices. You would need so many of them it would not be space or cost effective. What will probably happen is they will eventually design their own desktop chips and have a company such as AMD fabricate the chips for them. That would pair AMD ARM chips with AMD graphics and then Apple has complete control of the most important hardware in a Mac.

I do agree that, in the event Apple divorces from Intel entirely, they'll make their own x86 chips to supplement the ARM ones. But what would be the point of picking AMD? They don't have their own fabs. If Apple's doing the design, they can hire a fab to produce it without AMD's help.

edited to add: hmm, interesting: AMD's patent on the x86-64 instruction set expires sometime around 2020! There might still be patents to license on SSE and stuff like that.

Last edited:
I do agree that, in the event Apple divorces from Intel entirely, they'll make their own x86 chips to supplement the ARM ones. But what would be the point of picking AMD? They don't have their own fabs. If Apple's doing the design, they can hire a fab to produce it without AMD's help.

I was thinking more of AMD's help with an integrated graphics chip on the CPU. There are plenty of Macs that use igfx only. Maybe they will come up with something even better than Intel. They have lots of experience in that area.

It would probably not be an X86 architecture chip, but ARM based instead. AMD does have experience with making ARM CPUs already. This is all speculation on my part. Maybe they could pull that off I really don't have any inside info here. AMD seems happy to do whatever Apple wants in terms of discrete GPUs so why not work with them for Desktop CPUs as well ? Maybe Apple will announce something at WWDC in June.

Last edited:
Even if Apple released brand new machines this week that used non-Intel CPU's, it would still take close to a decade before they stop supporting their current Intel line. And who the hell knows where we'll be in a decade software and hardware wise? For all we know we'll all be using Google terminals by then and doing everything on the cloud.

I am amazed at the degree of alarm on these forums, this is nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back