Contribute
Register

Enabling igpu alongside RX580 for better Handbrake performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow thank you very much for your time and effort. I'm back home tomorrow so will give it a go. Again, many thanks!
:thumbup:
I hope it will fix your problem.

if you do a lot of encoding, macos is not the right "tool", windows applications/options are superior

x265 is a problem on current cpus, I agree you really want to use gpus. Not sure how good quality it is on igpu. My test are mainly x264...

but i would imagine the concept would be the same, so amd gpu>igpu for speed and quality

if speed with ok quality is your main concern, i would agree, go with imacpro and use 580 hw encoding. gpus are usually faster but the quality is not as good as cpus (using basic settings/software)

if you are happy with macos/handbrake, try to make videotoolbox work, that is indeed gpu

i do not have 580 anymore, but when i did this thread was very relevant (i have no idea if it still is relevant to current macos version or current hw):

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...support-h264-does-not-support-hevc-hw.240353/

Last edited:
qbe
To be honest encoding is not a priority for me, I have lots of UHD rips that play perfectly fine on my setup at full untouched size - I was just trying to look into how to utilise hw encoding to see how much smaller the files could be made without a discernable quality loss, more as an investigation than anything else.

If you write @ before the user name (@m0rb1u5 for example), that user receive a notification of your new message, in this way it is easier to be aware of what is published and may interest us.
Also, when you write @ before user name, the forum engine looks for coincidences between users.

@miliuco
Oops. Lesson learned!
Am going to try the two EFI's this afternoon so will report back.

@miliuco
@qbe
OK, I reset NVRAM and put in the imac19,1 EFI and the machine booted fine. In Hackintool I can see the VDA is supported now in Hackintool.

I tried a small encode using h264 2160p30 preset and standard h264 Video selected (no settings adjusted) in Handbrake and the CPU maxed out all threads immediately and it was reading average 33.5fps.

Then I retried the same encode, selecting h.264 Video Toolbox and the CPU threads are no longer maxed (probably running at 60% max), and the average fps has jumped to 52.

Interestingly, the activity monitor still shoes absolutely nothing going on that is using my RX580 (I am assuming it would show up?) so I am not entirely sure if the reduced CPU load and greater fps is just to do with the preset settings for using h264 Video Toolbox as the Video Encoder...

@miliuco
@qbe
OK, I reset NVRAM and put in the imac19,1 EFI and the machine booted fine. In Hackintool I can see the VDA is supported now in Hackintool.

I tried a small encode using h264 2160p30 preset and standard h264 Video selected (no settings adjusted) in Handbrake and the CPU maxed out all threads immediately and it was reading average 33.5fps.

Then I retried the same encode, selecting h.264 Video Toolbox and the CPU threads are no longer maxed (probably running at 60% max), and the average fps has jumped to 52.

Interestingly, the activity monitor still shoes absolutely nothing going on that is using my RX580 (I am assuming it would show up?) so I am not entirely sure if the reduced CPU load and greater fps is just to do with the preset settings for using h264 Video Toolbox as the Video Encoder...
Interesting! Let me do a similar test and check if my dGPU has activity in this scenario.

Try iMacPro1,1 and comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back