Not open for further replies.
Re: [Solved] Enabling Bluetooth on P8P67 * boards

Houbie said:
Where can I find the V2 Driver?

Rg,

Hans

Page 3, 5th message.

FYI, the Windows 7 path where the Atheros AR3011 firmware (which was used in the V2) lives is C:\Windows\System32\drivers\AtherosBt.bin

drcrack said:
ajg0r said:
drcrack said:
Thank you! I updated 1st post.
Is it the firmware you extracted that comes on driver disk with P8P67 motherboard?

No, the driver was downloaded from the Asus site.

Ah, ok, that should be as fresh as we can get. Thank you, nice job! :thumbup:
I will test it in the evening whether new firmware has fixed my Magic mouse freezes.

Yeah I have this same exact problem. My Magic Mouse keeps freezing. Whenever I use the two finger swipe to navigate back and forth it freezes for a few seconds. I just updated the firmware and it doesn't seem to be working, but I might have done it wrong. I followed the instructions and power down my computer. Unplugged the PSU. Pressed the power button. Waiting a few seconds. Replugged the PSU. Turned it on and booted back into OS X and the problem still persists. However, I did install it over the old one and that might be the problem. Nonetheless, I am thinking of just buying a separate bluetooth USB hub and test to see if it's actually the motherboard's bluetooth that is quirky with OS X.

Aznboy1993 said:
Yeah I have this same exact problem. My Magic Mouse keeps freezing. Whenever I use the two finger swipe to navigate back and forth it freezes for a few seconds. I just updated the firmware and it doesn't seem to be working, but I might have done it wrong. I followed the instructions and power down my computer. Unplugged the PSU. Pressed the power button. Waiting a few seconds. Replugged the PSU. Turned it on and booted back into OS X and the problem still persists. However, I did install it over the old one and that might be the problem. Nonetheless, I am thinking of just buying a separate bluetooth USB hub and test to see if it's actually the motherboard's bluetooth that is quirky with OS X.

Installing over the old one shouldn't be a problem, just make sure that ath3k-1.fw in /Extra/ath3k-firmware-uploader has appropriate modification date, the uploader binary is the same for any firmware.

It seems like I have less freezes with new firmware, but still a had a few since. Mine usually happen after I type some text on the keyboard (USB wired one).

Is it just two of us having freezes? Is it just with Magic Mouse?
Can anyone pls confirm his Magic Mouse working / freezing?

There are few possible causes:
1) We are unlucky to get bad mice/chips. This can be verified by connecting different device (mouse) to Atheros bluetooth and testing mouse with different BT (or macbook).
2) Magic Mouse is not compatible with Atheros bluetooth (let's wait what other people report).
3) Just uploading firmware is not enough, and windows driver does some extra initialization (could be checked by comparing behaviour in Windows with that in Mac OS on the same PC, and extra initialization, if any, can be found with USB sniffer).
4) Firmware is fine, but Mac OS picks some generic not fully compatible BT driver (in System profiler it shows Manufacturer: Unknown, Vendor ID: 0, Product ID: 0x1, as reported above by ajg0r). Maybe it loses packets because baud rate setting is to high, or some power-saving mode (as my freezes usually happening after not moving mouse for a while).
5) P8P67 onboard bluetooth chip is just crappy ;))) (Then, it should be as bad in Windows).

So please report your problems here with different devices and different OS, so we can find out what the real problem is.

drcrack said:
Aznboy1993 said:

Installing over the old one shouldn't be a problem, just make sure that ath3k-1.fw in /Extra/ath3k-firmware-uploader has appropriate modification date, the uploader binary is the same for any firmware.

It seems like I have less freezes with new firmware, but still a had a few since. Mine usually happen after I type some text on the keyboard (USB wired one).

Is it just two of us having freezes? Is it just with Magic Mouse?
Can anyone pls confirm his Magic Mouse working / freezing?

There are few possible causes:
1) We are unlucky to get bad mice/chips. This can be verified by connecting different device (mouse) to Atheros bluetooth and testing mouse with different BT (or macbook).
2) Magic Mouse is not compatible with Atheros bluetooth (let's wait what other people report).
3) Just uploading firmware is not enough, and windows driver does some extra initialization (checked by comparing behaviour in Windows with that in Mac OS on the same PC, and extra initialization, if any, can be found with USB sniffer).
4) Firmware is fine, but Mac OS picks some generic not fully compatible BT driver (in System profiler it shows Manufacturer: Unknown, Vendor ID: 0, Product ID: 0x1, as reported above by ajg0r). Maybe it loses packets because baud rate setting is to high, or some power-saving mode (as my freezes usually happening after not moving mouse for a while).
5) P8P67 onboard bluetooth chip is just crappy ;))) (Then, it should be as bad in Windows).

So please report your problems here with different devices and different OS, so we can find out what the real problem is.

It's probably a combination of Nos 3) and 4). Instead of Vendor ID: 0, Product ID: 0x1, it should be Vendor ID: 0x0cf3, Product ID: 0x3000, Product ID: 0x3002, Product ID: 0x3003

Can somebody who has audio streaming working post what the Profiler reports?

OK I just installed it on Windows. It is working, but it seems to be disconnecting more often. So I guess it's the actual bluetooth adaper and not OS X itself?

Aznboy1993 said:
OK I just installed it on Windows. It is working, but it seems to be disconnecting more often. So I guess it's the actual bluetooth adaper and not OS X itself?

Did you "cold-boot" Windows, or Mac OS was started first?

I can confirm that there are still freezes if I cold-boot Windows for initialization, and then boot to Mac OS (firmware upload skipped).

EDIT:

Now testing it with old dusty Tekram USB dongle (reported as Silicon Wave, Vid=0x1310, Pid= 0x0001). As far as I remember, it's Broadcom-based, and I had many crashes with their drivers under Windows XP few years ago :)

ajg0r said:
drcrack said:
3) Just uploading firmware is not enough, and windows driver does some extra initialization (checked by comparing behaviour in Windows with that in Mac OS on the same PC, and extra initialization, if any, can be found with USB sniffer).

It's probably a combination of Nos 3) and 4). Instead of Vendor ID: 0, Product ID: 0x1, it should be Vendor ID: 0x0cf3, Product ID: 0x3000, Product ID: 0x3002, Product ID: 0x3003

Why do you think so?
Vendor ID: 0x0cf3, Product ID: 0x3000 is reported before firmware is uploaded, but after uploading both Linux lsusb and System Profiler under USB tab show Vid=0b05 (ASUSTek Computer, Inc.), Pid=179c. Or is it just a USB hum it's connected to? How to know what Pid it has after firmware upload?

I tried to patch IOBluetoothFamily.kext with those, but no luck :(
Code:
--- /Users/drcrack/local/bak/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist	2011-01-30 02:36:06.000000000 +0300
+++ /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist	2011-04-30 12:20:08.000000000 +0400
@@ -39,6 +39,19 @@
 			<key>bDeviceSubClass</key>
 			<integer>1</integer>
 		</dict>
+		<key>AsusP8P67Bluetooth</key>
+		<dict>
+			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
+			<string>com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
+			<key>IOClass</key>
+			<string>AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController</string>
+			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
+			<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
+			<key>idProduct</key>
+			<integer>6044</integer>
+			<key>idVendor</key>
+			<integer>2821</integer>
+		</dict>
 		<key>EricssonROK101</key>
 		<dict>
 			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

Also I tried original Atheros Pid and Vid (it has to be decimal), same result:
Code:
+			<key>idProduct</key>
+			<integer>12288</integer>
+			<key>idVendor</key>
+			<integer>3315</integer>
But, again, I think those only apply to DFU mode.

Also tried Pid=12290 (as Pid=0x3002 corresponds in Linux kernel to Atheros3011 with sflash, and I thought it could be the same as with firmware uploaded. The same result.
Maybe my kext patching is wrong (
I tried to follow these threads, as pointed by samuel77:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15487
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t188763.html

Yes cold boot. It's actually worse on Windows. I'm thinking of buying D-Link DBT-120 and trying it out. I do not have another bluetooth capable device at my house so I cannot try the Magic Mouse with another device. Do you think you could try that?

I use a magic mouse and an apple keyboard with a best buy brand USB bluetooth adaptor, no lag or anything like that with it, so it's definitely the onboard BT causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back