Contribute
Register

Enabling Bluetooth for P8P67 * boards and BT-211

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Solved] Enabling Bluetooth on P8P67 * boards

very awesome hack. only one problem.
i got the bluetooth dongle "seen" by the computer, but it gets stuck when it is trying to discover devices, it cant actually detect any bluetooth devices. i also went and got another dongle listed as osx capable but it cant see jack diddly either. wat do?

That's where I am at as well.

I installed the Andy files and he had integrated the fix for BT, but it didn't work for me.

I don't see a BIOS setting and I get the same issue as you. I'm just looking at my magic mouse, lying there, unemployed.

SO! after further frustration I have noticed that when my computer is in discovery mode, my phone can see it.
im wondering if I should modify my IObluetoothfamily info.plist so i can shut down the bluetooth via osx because system profiler says the hardware is on, but the bluetooth setup application says the hardware is off... strange.

I am using another dongle that is supposed to be osx compliant, and uses a cambridge silicone chipset (the same chipset apple uses in their own bluetooth) and that doesnt work either, not only that but my phone doesnt see it. its so frustrating to be sooooo close and yet so far away from my goal, especially as i have now dropped like $100 bucks total just on stupid bluetooth dongles. you would think with all the problems people are having with the bt-211, someone would know the remedy.

could someone who has this evil little peripheral working please look through their bluetooth kext so that we can compare. i have heard people even have this problem with certain rev of the d-link 120. more development needs to go into bluetooth functionality. cause from what i have been reading, even if you do finda magic dongle, it only has a fraction of the functionality BT is supposed to have (HID gets turned into a different protocol, no stereo audio...)

all i want to do i hook my dj hero turntable up as a midi interface on traktor ....

side question, other than flashing a new firmware to the dongle, does the install modify any kext? if so i would like to try to undo that, and try this other cambridge silicon chipset again.

I have been waiting to post in this thread until i had a chance to play with my new build. I used ajg0r's driver from the outset and it works relatively well. Keyboard has been fine. Trackpad is fine but will get laggy for a few secs at times. Havent had freezes or drop outs yet.

I think ill leave it for now. Much thanks for all the help. I have the ASUS P8h67-I Deluxe board fwiw.

side question, other than flashing a new firmware to the dongle, does the install modify any kext? if so i would like to try to undo that, and try this other cambridge silicon chipset again.

No, it doesn't modify any kexts, and all it does can be seen from uninstall instructions in the topic head.

drcrack, I am having a fairly tough time of this. I can't get BT working at all. It did once and never again. I used Andy's Install that had one of the packages in it, but it didn't work. I used a BT dongle and I installed the software in your first post, and BT worked. After a restart, it never worked again. All I get in Console is:

5/15/11 6:59:58 AM local.ath3k-firmware-uploader[28] Atheros AR3011 not found
5/15/11 6:59:58 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (local.ath3k-firmware-uploader[28]) Exited with exit code: 1
and
5/15/11 7:02:32 AM Bluetooth Setup Assistant[237] Failed to create connection to the daemon: [NSPortCoder sendBeforeTime:sendReplyPort:] timed out (327160952.708923 327160952.710930) 1
5/15/11 7:15:07 AM Bluetooth Setup Assistant[270] Failed to create connection to the daemon: connection timeout: did not receive reply

I have cold booted, no on board BT to be seen. The dongle gets some action, but nothing can be seen or connected.

Also, I have removed the files and reinstalled. On reinstall I get "Exited with exit code: 1", which I believe is not good.

Any ideas for me?

Andy,

Is there a way to uninstall the bluetooth driver, as installed by your install package? It doesn't appear to be located in /Extra as the install script that was posted here puts it.

I bought a 3rd party USB Bluetooth dongle to use with my Magic Mouse, so I need to disable the on-board one.

Thanks!

Eastwind said:
drcrack, I am having a fairly tough time of this. I can't get BT working at all. It did once and never again. I used Andy's Install that had one of the packages in it, but it didn't work. I used a BT dongle and I installed the software in your first post, and BT worked. After a restart, it never worked again. All I get in Console is:

5/15/11 6:59:58 AM local.ath3k-firmware-uploader[28] Atheros AR3011 not found
5/15/11 6:59:58 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (local.ath3k-firmware-uploader[28]) Exited with exit code: 1
and
5/15/11 7:02:32 AM Bluetooth Setup Assistant[237] Failed to create connection to the daemon: [NSPortCoder sendBeforeTime:sendReplyPort:] timed out (327160952.708923 327160952.710930) 1
5/15/11 7:15:07 AM Bluetooth Setup Assistant[270] Failed to create connection to the daemon: connection timeout: did not receive reply

I have cold booted, no on board BT to be seen. The dongle gets some action, but nothing can be seen or connected.

Also, I have removed the files and reinstalled. On reinstall I get "Exited with exit code: 1", which I believe is not good.

Any ideas for me?

Well, upon warm restart after firmware has been already loaded, you will be getting "Atheros AR3011 not found", and it's normal, since after uploading it has different PID. If you keep getting the same message after cold boot, I can only recommend checking whether it's enabled in BIOS. Otherwise the code for detecting BT is very simple, and if it doesn't see it, I can't think of anything helpful. Oh, you can check whether "ioreg | grep 0x0cf3" command will give any output.

I've tested it a little bit under Windows 7 and Linux, and though I can't say whether freezes happen any less frequently than in OS X or not, I can confirm that with my setup similar freezes do happen regardless of the OS. Windows 7 was cold-booted, and I have Apple Bootcamp drivers for Magic Mouse installed.
At the same time I have another BT dongle (very old one), which doesn't have any problems with MM in either OS.
So it looks like onboard BT itself works bad with Magic Mouse, regardless of the firmware.

Bottomline: if you're experiencing problems with P8P67 built-in bluetooth and Magic Mouse using this firmware uploader, just get another proven BT dongle and disable internal bluetooth in BIOS. You don't even have to uninstall firmware uploader -- it won't "see" your other dongle, unless it's ASUS BT-211 which is literally the same chip, and therefore can't be recommended as a replacement :)

drcrack said:
I've tested it a little bit under Windows 7 and Linux, and though I can't say whether freezes happen any less frequently than in OS X or not, I can confirm that with my setup similar freezes do happen regardless of the OS. Windows 7 was cold-booted, and I have Apple Bootcamp drivers for Magic Mouse installed.
At the same time I have another BT dongle (very old one), which doesn't have any problems with MM in either OS.
So it looks like onboard BT itself works bad with Magic Mouse, regardless of the firmware.

Bottomline: if you're experiencing problems with P8P67 built-in bluetooth and Magic Mouse using this firmware uploader, just get another proven BT dongle and disable internal bluetooth in BIOS. You don't even have to uninstall firmware uploader -- it won't "see" your other dongle, unless it's ASUS BT-211 which is literally the same chip, and therefore can't be recommended as a replacement :)

Can you recommend a replacement? I got the "Sabrent" one that seemed to be supported (got the exact Fry's product number that was linked in the Wiki), and OSX didn't recognize it at all (after disabling the on-board bluetooth in the BIOS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back