Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone gotten it iGPU and RX580's to work at the same time, for High Sierra? For me, it keeps crashing now.

Why would I want that? I believe Quick Sync requires the iGPU if i'm not mistaken......

I have gotten it to run with a Z170, and an RX 480.... but only in Sierra..

Hi, i have a Sapphire rx 460 2gb one fan and I Sierra 12.3. I want to accelerate the graphics because is slow when I enter to launchpad, for example. I have clover but I don't have any kext you say in the guide. I only have AMD 9500 Controller. Can you help me?

Hi, i recently updated my sierra 12.2 to 12.6.
I read that lilu and whatever kext could solve my issue with black screen bios set to pcie gpu and having to set change cable if i need to get into bios.
so I followed the guide placed lilu and whatever kext then i reboot, set bios to disable igpu and prioritize on the pcie.
after rebooting again, I can get to bios and clover boot loader
until it reached apple logo loading screen going halfway it suddenly went to black screen.

does anyone knows the issue or guide to fix this?

Last edited:
Updated to 10.12.3.
To do so I used some tips from ITSage site (link: www.theitsage.com/install-radeon-rx-480-gpu-macos-sierra/)

Steps:
1. cloned drive and EFI partition
2. Run updates using terminal instead of App Store, to allow me to edit the kexts prior to rebooting.
(sudo softwareupdate -i -a)
3. Then edited the AMDRadeonX4100.kext and the AMD9500Controller.kext in the same fashion as before.
4. After reboot, I ran multibeast to reinstall my audio (ALC1150 in my case), and rebooted again.
5. Lastly, I applied the "enable-baffin-cus-script" mentioned on the ITSage website to enable more computing cores on the RX480. The link to the script and the terminal commands are listed at the ITSage website link above in the section titled "Performance Easter Egg".
6. Reboot and test.

Much to my delight, there does seem to be a nice OpenCL performance boost with the changes.
Here's my latest benchmarks. Compared to my prior post, this is definitely better.

BruceX time = 8 sec now (was about 11 sec before)

View attachment 244022 View attachment 244023 View attachment 244024 View attachment 244025 View attachment 244026

I've updated to 10.13.1 High Sierra.
It's been a long road. I did a fresh install on a new SSD. I'm still moving old files/apps over.
I used UniBeast and MultiBeast for High Sierra as described on UniBeast.
For some reason, I needed to separately add lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext to the EFI>clover>other folder. I must not have selected the right options in MultiBeast. Once I did though, it recognized my cards.
In Z87 gigabyte BIOS I still have iGPU as primary. I still use dual XFX RX480 cards.
Everything works as before, even the benchmarks are the same or better. However, the one app I really wanted to work doesn't... FinalCutPro X 10.3.4. It crashes upon any attempt to import any video.

I'm hoping future Final Cut Pro updates help.
My main motivation from moving from my very stable 10.12.3 system, was the need for native HEVC codec. I've got an iPhone 7+ and a GoPro6 that both record in HEVC. It would be nice to handle it native in Mac.

Any thoughts about final cut?

Hack HS.png

I've updated to 10.13.1 High Sierra.
It's been a long road. I did a fresh install on a new SSD. I'm still moving old files/apps over.
I used Unibeast and Multibeast for High Sierra as described on Unibeast.
Interesting.... I've tried Premiere Pro CC 2017. If it's set to OpenCL, it also crashes. If set to "metal" then it works fine. I wonder if the FCPX problem is an OpenCL issue.

Hi, i recently updated my sierra 12.2 to 12.6.
I read that lilu and whatever kext could solve my issue with black screen bios set to pcie gpu and having to set change cable if i need to get into bios.
so I followed the guide placed lilu and whatever kext then i reboot, set bios to disable igpu and prioritize on the pcie.
after rebooting again, I can get to bios and clover boot loader
until it reached apple logo loading screen going halfway it suddenly went to black screen.

does anyone knows the issue or guide to fix this?
Anyone??

on previous guide on setting up 10.12.2 we are required to edit AMD4000kext 0x67E01002 to 0x67DF1002
do i need to revert back to the E0 ??

I have been all Nvidia since day1 of my early years starting out with OSX Leopard things have really changed since then. I decided to give the XFX AMD RX 580 Black Crimson a try, model RX-580P8D Part # RX-580P8DBRR from best buy. Anyone else with that particular model? I am able to get this to boot but its basically a black screen all the way until I get to my Login. I do understand this is the way it is if you do not have both the Internal Intel GPU and Discreet going at the same time but I think I have things confused since I really have never used or ever really plan to use Multi-Monitor. If I enable IGPX for the Asus Maximus Hero VIII Z170 with Kaby Lake processor and connect both the HDMI from the Intel GPU and HDMI AMD to the one Samsung Monitor HDMI 1/2 ports. I do see the Post Boot and Bios but never see the Clover Boot. Do I actually need to connect a 2nd monitor for this to see it boot to the clover menu and then automatically hand it off to the AMD card at the OSX login or Desktop?

I also read from the OP that I should be able to change my primary back to auto or PEG in Bios and boot to the desktop but it never does?

I have RadeonDeinit enabled in Clover v4334 and latest Lilu in EFI kexts/Others. Also tries whateverGreen v1.13. Can you run WhateverGreen and RadeonDeinit at the same time? I think it will still boot up just not sure what the consequences are?

Using this kext "Amd9xxxControllerPatcher.kext" and an SSDT file "SSDT-HDMI-AMD-PEG0.aml found in another thread since the ports have been conveniently changed already from 0 to 5. Maybe I don't need either one of these files and just modify clover and the actual kext in /S/L/E or is the patcher the way to go? I don't want to have to modify the AMD kexts in /S/L/E every time I upgrade OSX.

Thanks!

I have problem for rx 580...it can boot..it flashing and after that out of range

I cannot get my second monitor working with the Displayport connection. It will work with HDMI for the second monitor. My first monitor is connected with Displayport.

I have 2 Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB with two Dell 2715Q monitors.
GA-Z270X-Gaming K7 (onboard graphics disabled)
i7-6700K

config.plist
iMac17,1
inject ATI

I have the latest Lilu.kext & WhateverGreen.kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back