Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, thanks. Its good it will run open GL Uningine apps. Geekbench compute? 200,000+?

I know the Clover team is working out bugs for CPU power management, busratio, QPI, and MHz errors.

Are you using clover CPU settings as well as BIOS overclock?

View attachment 266182

I only use BIOS Overclocking. I was able to get the systems back to 4.4Ghz. Had to tweak the BIOS.
Again, this is not a fair comparison, given the 980Ti STRIX is over clocked and was fully water cooled with an EWKB block. The Vega on this test is also using BETA drivers and OS.

That said, the bump in CPU did provide better results.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 7.22.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.41.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 12.05.27 AM.png

Can you run Valley Extreme HD and Heaven at Eztreme settings? These are the GPU standard test many go by. RX 480 runs around 1850-1950 in Valley and Heaven 1100-1300. It would be nice to see well above those for the extreme and extreme hd settings.

Last edited:
Hi! Is it true that 10.12.6 natively supports the RX 480? I have neither integrated graphics nor a helper GPU, is there any other way to activate the GPU in 10.12.5?

Hi! Is it true that 10.12.6 natively supports the RX 480? I have neither integrated graphics nor a helper GPU, is there any other way to activate the GPU in 10.12.5?

No, 12.6 supports the RX cards without kext edits but it still needs a helper or igpu.

The only way to get it to work alone is by flashing the bios to EFI boot only and disable the UEFI booting. It's possible but you want to have a dual bios RX card with a switch so you can recover the original bios for windows booting or if it doesn't work. This can brick your graphics card so you need to know how to do it or be able to handle the loss if it goes wrong. With a dual bios card there is less risk.

Ok, so I'll look for something like an old Nvidia card that's supported. Which cheap card could you recommended?

I've tested Nvidia gt210, gt710, Nvidia 8400gts and GT730. They all run around $30-40 US and only require inject Nvidia in clover settings to operate and give RX cards acceleration. You get better performance with CPU graphics though so there is a 15-20% performance loss with helper cards in general terms.

On the Bright side there is a user on High Sierra developer beta with a Vega Frontier card using dedicated graphics with a 6900k so the future for RX 480-580 may improve and we may be able to use them normally soon.

View attachment 266190 View attachment 266191

Can you run Valley Extreme HD and Heaven at Eztreme settings? These are the GPU standard test many go by. RX 480 runs around 1850-1950 in Valley and Heaven 1100-1300. It would be nice to see well above those for the extreme and extreme hd settings.

Not very good result running in Extreme HD. I have not run the STRIX 980TI in that mode, so won't be able to provide cooperative numbers until I get more water-cooling fluids to install back in system. I'll post those in a few days, along side the STRIX 1080TI. Would also like to test the STRIX RX580, which I have not been able to run at all.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 2.38.55 PM.png

Hi!
Please help. After Sierra 10.12.3 update to 10.12.5 no acceleration (no Metal support). Just modified AMD9510Controller and AMDRadeonX4100.
Sapphire RX480 Nitro 8 GB.View attachment 257391View attachment 257392

Hi, Im just trying figure out, what have I done wrong. After I updated those kext files, I got everything alright till Login, at that moment I get Black Screen on both displays... If it boot up in Safe mode, I can see full 8gb memory, but without Metal and with two displays. Originaly did work only one.
I have just one GPU, no internal, so its set to auto or PCIe. Using HDMI and DVI. System 10.12.5

Did I miss any important topic with solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back