Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just popping in to say that this worked on 10.12.4. Here are the relevant hardware specs:
  • GIGABYTE Z97-D3H rev. 1.1
  • Intel Core i5 4690K (3.5Ghz)
    • Intel HD Graphics 4600 (with IntelGraphicsFixup to stop it from crashing on Twitter video.)
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical 4GB x 4 (16GB, 1333Mhz)
  • Samsung 850 PRO SSD (256GB)
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 (8GB)
The 4600 is the helper GPU in this setup, and I can safely say everything works well. IntelGraphicsFixup doesn't conflict with the RX 480, so if your integrated GPU depends on this fix, you can use this safely with your AMD 4xx card. Fans crank up when a GPU-intensive game is loaded (e.g. Rocket League). Wish there was a way to monitor the temperatures on macOS though.
Photoshop won't see the GPU and will always see the Intel GPU until you connect all monitors to the RX 480.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 11.26.21.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 11.26.21.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 11.27.31.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 11.27.31.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 172
Hi again.
First of all here is my hardware list
  • Intel I5 3570k 3.4ghz
  • Msi z77a gd55 mobo
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 2666mhz
  • OCZ Fatal1ty 750W 80plus psu
  • TP-LINK WA500G (I use this one for wifi coz no wifi option on my mobo)
  • Cooler Master HAF XB EVO case (I'm not sure if it is necessary to know)
  • Kingston hyperx 3K 240GB SSD
I was using this system 1-2 months with hd4000 without trouble. now I have rx470 asus 4gb. And problems started. Also I should say I'm not so familiar to hackintosh stuff so When I try to repair something, I break things :( now sound is gone too but its easy I solved before.

Anyway. There is something to say against what I've read, I Don't have black screen on boot. I can see apple logo and loading bar. after that password screen. and desktop. all process I can see. but while all that happens, screen is clipping. It is not fluid. Its like the graphics card is not effecting to the performance.

I've uploaded some screens for information. I use 10.12.4 sierra. I've changed/added some values to some files which I show in screenshots. If you need any info I can add.

Thanks for helping

In Sierra 12.4 you also need to make the same info.plist edit in the 9510controllerkext. Do the same edit (add 0x67DF1002) and don't forget to use kext wizard.

Just popping in to say that this worked on 10.12.4. Here are the relevant hardware specs:
  • GIGABYTE Z97-D3H rev. 1.1
  • Intel Core i5 4690K (3.5Ghz)
    • Intel HD Graphics 4600 (with IntelGraphicsFixup to stop it from crashing on Twitter video.)
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical 4GB x 4 (16GB, 1333Mhz)
  • Samsung 850 PRO SSD (256GB)
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 (8GB)
The 4600 is the helper GPU in this setup, and I can safely say everything works well. IntelGraphicsFixup doesn't conflict with the RX 480, so if your integrated GPU depends on this fix, you can use this safely with your AMD 4xx card. Fans crank up when a GPU-intensive game is loaded (e.g. Rocket League). Wish there was a way to monitor the temperatures on macOS though.
Photoshop won't see the GPU and will always see the Intel GPU until you connect all monitors to the RX 480.

Don't worry about temps too much, there is "AutoWattMan" in Sierra which controls temps and will shut down if too hot. As you can tell the fans spin when under load but quickly return to normal when in idle mode. I've ran my RX 480 for hours on end doing benchmarks and it has never failed due to heat. The HWMonitor app is having a tough time in Sierra so monitoring temps on most system devices is not working yet I think HDD/SSD temps are all that is working.

Guys I think I've found out the problem. I didn't disable SIP from recovery. when I try to enter "command + R" on boot it repeats restarting. how can I enter recovery?

Your clover boot screen menu should have one listed if not it wasn't created during system build. Qq
Guys I think I've found out the problem. I didn't disable SIP from recovery. when I try to enter "command + R" on boot it repeats restarting. how can I enter recovery?

You can try by reloading clover bootloader. Select RC (Recovery) scripts as shown. drag a copy of your config.plist to desktop and any other added kexts or files in original clov er bootloader before reloading. Use EFIMounter to acess your EFI partition to get these.

Clover RC scripts.png

I couldn't wait for your response. And reinstalled 10.12.3 version from zero. It shows r9 xxx 4096mb directly. On desktop OS is not fluid yet but It is better than before. Now I will do post process stuff.

Want to thank Gigamaxx for keeping this thread going and the OP relevant through all the revisions and changes. I'm going to give my MSI Gaming X 470 a try again in the next 24 hours or so.

I've set IGPU as primary to an old 4:3 LCD I've had hanging around, connected to the motherboard by DVI. Gaming performance in Windows doesn't seem to be affected at all by this designation. So, with that solid, I'm going to try to make these adjustments in OSX and hopefully get some decent performance going on. If I do, is keeping the monitor connected a must? OSX seems to be sort of wonky using two screens, and wants to use the old monitor attached to the IGPU as the primary display, and switching the primary (at least without acceleration) seems to have weird effects. Can I disconnect the monitor if I'm okay with Clover autobooting behind a black screen that I can't see?

Hi Gigamaxx

Good news at least :)

I reinstalled sierra 10.12.3 last night. And I did the process like you said step by step. It works now without problem. Sooo smooth. Thank you for share and help.

I want to warn fellas about my mistakes which are possible to make for everyone.

1) before the process, you should remove your graphics card completely and plug your monitor with output of mobo. Thats important.
2) open your OSX with your Integrated graphics processor NOT PEG!
3) do the process and after complete don't restart. Turn your pc off.
4) install graphics card. and put your cable to GPU, don't change IGP to PEG!, do the rest.

Now I have just one question left. When I move mouse cursor to right of the screen, It disappers. Probably It goes to the second screen. When I try to make monitors as mirror, Black screen comes. How can I put limit to right side of the monitor to block cursor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back