Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reboot are you still connected to motherboard? The RX won't (shouldn't) have any signal until after boot process is complete.
After all the set up on BIOS, The HDMI still connected to motherboard.

Or should I use VGA connect on motherboard, and HDMI connect on GPU, and boot it together?

Yes, I use the VGA to mobo and in GUI settings using clover configurator I have resolution set to 1920x1080 and the clover screen shows but when it boots the vga cannot handle 1080 and drops out and the RX HDMI connection takes over. Monitors are all different so some may do it automatically and others may need you to use switching to access the RX screen.

off topic but do you use a SSDT for your processor for power management gigamaxx? it seems to work fine without it.

IT WORKED YAY! So question. Now I'm booting to black screen which isn't a big deal, however, I have a dual boot, and would like to boot to windows. Is there any way to make that happen? Since IGPU is primary, it means that I can't even see bios to manually boot into windows. Any recommendations?
EDIT: Card is ASUS ROG STRIX 8gb 480

IT WORKED YAY! So question. Now I'm booting to black screen which isn't a big deal, however, I have a dual boot, and would like to boot to windows. Is there any way to make that happen? Since IGPU is primary, it means that I can't even see bios to manually boot into windows. Any recommendations?

What happens when you hook your monitor to your motherboard's IGPU connectors, start the machine and repeatedly hit whichever key on your keyboard that is supposed to bring up the BIOS screen?

I use a HDMI switch so that I can switch between iGPU and RX480 with a remote control. I am just lazy, you can try this method if you want.

I use a HDMI switch so that I can switch between iGPU and RX480 with a remote control. I am just lazy, you can try this method if you want.
Lol love the simple solution. I might give this a try

What happens when you hook your monitor to your motherboard's IGPU connectors, start the machine and repeatedly hit whichever key on your keyboard that is supposed to bring up the BIOS screen?
I get the bios screen. I have a 2 monitor setup but know windows is annoying and needs both hdmi plugs in the graphics card so I was hoping I wouldn't need to swap the cable every time

off topic but do you use a SSDT for your processor for power management gigamaxx? it seems to work fine without it.

For Skylake no, I use the HWP and ARTfreq. settings. Check out the HWP enable thread Skylake HWP Enable | tonymacx86.com, it works pretty well for SkyLake and Kaby Lake models. If you use those settings it is recommended to remove the SSDTs or it fails, you have 2 things doing the same task. Skylake for me is so native in Sierra It's easy to set up, runs smoothly and performance is great. But, it is perplexing as because you can't crossfire or Dual card with it and sleep is elusive for many.

For my Haswell Pentium G3259 ($49.99 US) I use the clover generated SSDTs. I've removed them before and replaced them but I also used to use cpus=1, -xcpm as a boot argument in order to boot it and the scores were cut in half. Now I'm down to dart=0 darkwake=0 and my Geekbench is pretty good for a 2 core acting as an i5.

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 4.58.41 PM.png

The i5 4690K looks a lot better though but at 4x the price, the pentium for fifty bucks rocks!

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 6.42.24 PM.png

For Skylake no, I use the HWP and ARTfreq. settings. Check out the HWP enable thread Skylake HWP Enable | tonymacx86.com, it works pretty well for SkyLake and Kaby Lake models. If you use those settings it is recommended to remove the SSDTs or it fails, you have 2 things doing the same task. Skylake for me is so native in Sierra It's easy to set up, runs smoothly and performance is great.

I used the skylake.plist you posted earlier which has the new HWP info in it, not sure if its set correctly for my 6700K @ 4.6Ghz but seems to be working ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back