Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did, and it's still the same. Booted up with only the HDMI cable attached and booted in Sierra. There are still 2 monitors attached in the display settings..

I've also ran Unigine Heaven and Luxmark and didn't get a good score I guess..

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 20.53.29.pngLuxmark 1.png
Then I've done the 4100kext edit to enable the 36CU instead of 16. Got an increase in Luxmark and nothing really changed in Heaven.

Heaven 2.png Luxmark 2.png
any suggestions to fix the dual screens and get better performance in Unigine Heaven? I've done nothing yet in Clover Configurator or with a framebuffer, only changed the device id in the 4100kext info.plist btw..

Attachments

• Luxmark 2.png
    Luxmark 2.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
OK, so I've fixed the phantom second screen. What I did:

Went to Library/Preferences and removed com.apple.windowserver.plist (moved to desktop) and reboot > nothing changed.

Then I did the following:
Turn off mac
Put HDMI in MOBO
Open clover Configuration > Check partition > Mount EFI
Go to finder, EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist > Copy to desktop and make backup, open copy in clover configurator and change:
Graphics tab > Disable Inject Intel
Devices tab > under Fake ID > IntelGFX: 0x19120003
Save
Copy file back to EFI/EFI/CLOVER and overwrite
Reboot > put HDMI back in rx 480 but this time in the 2nd HDMI slot (instead of the 1st)
Graphics inspect should say: Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB (1536VRAM & Metal supported)

So I'm not sure what exactly fixed it, but its fixed now.

Ran another Unigine Heaven benchmark and got a "low" score again..
Score: 979
FPS: 38,9 (min: 10,6 / max 81,3)

Settings
Render: OpenGL
Mode: 1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset: Custom
Quality: Ultra
Tesselation: Extreme

And this is still on 1080p.. When I get a compatible HDMI/DVI cable I will be running on 1440p

Any tips for increase in performance?

Last edited:
OK, so I've fixed the phantom second screen. What I did:

Went to Library/Preferences and removed com.apple.windowserver.plist (moved to desktop) and reboot > nothing changed.

Then I did the following:
Turn off mac
Put HDMI in MOBO
Open clover Configuration > Check partition > Mount EFI
Go to finder, EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist > Copy to desktop and make backup, open copy in clover configurator and change:
Graphics tab > Disable Inject Intel
Devices tab > under Fake ID > IntelGFX: 0x19120003
Save
Copy file back to EFI/EFI/CLOVER and overwrite
Reboot > put HDMI back in rx 480 but this time in the 2nd HDMI slot (instead of the 1st)
Graphics inspect should say: Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB (1536VRAM & Metal supported)

So I'm not sure what exactly fixed it, but its fixed now.

Ran another Unigine Heaven benchmark and got a "low" score again..
Score: 979
FPS: 38,9 (min: 10,6 / max 81,3)

Settings
Render: OpenGL
Mode: 1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset: Custom
Quality: Ultra
Tesselation: Extreme

And this is still on 1080p.. When I get a compatible HDMI/DVI cable I will be running on 1440p

Any tips for increase in performance?

I haven't used Unigine Heaven on my machine yet, but running Valley gives me a score somewhere between 1800 - 1900 on Extreme HD settings. With only adding the device ID to 4100X kext. Without inject Ati (which seemed to decrease my performance) or other patches.

Do you get decent performance in Windows or Linux, or is MacOS the only OS installed?

I haven't used Unigine Heaven on my machine yet, but running Valley gives me a score somewhere between 1800 - 1900 on Extreme HD settings. With only adding the device ID to 4100X kext. Without inject Ati (which seemed to decrease my performance) or other patches.

Do you get decent performance in Windows or Linux, or is MacOS the only OS installed?

At the moment OSX Sierra is the only installed OS. I find it very strange that I'm only getting a 900 score..

Recap of what I've done:

Multibeast
UEFI mode
ALC1150 & 100 series audio driver
Misc > fakeSMC v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723 (as wel as fakeSMC plugins and HWMonitor)
Misc > NullCPUPowermanagement v1.0.0d2
IntelMausiEthernet v2.2.0 Ethernet driver
Clover v2.3k r3766 UEFI Boot Mode
iMac 14,2 system definition

Edited divide id 0x67FF1002 to 0x67DF1002 in 4100kext info.plist (cleared cache, kext utility)
Edited divide name in AMD9500Controller via iHex (kext utility)
Activated the 32CU via /s/l/e/AMDRadeonX4100.Kext >Contents >MacOS > AMDRaden4100, replaced the 3 strings (kext utility)
Activated Metal support for iGPU via clover configurator: Disabled inject intel & put 0x19120003 for intelGFX fakeID

This all works as it should (At least I'm getting the visual feedback).
About this Mac shows AMD rx480
System Report > Graphics shows Metal support for rx480 and iGPU
System Report > Graphics shows 36 CU for rx480

I boot with only the HDMI cable connected to the rx480 and the monitor. Clover boots automatically after 5 secs to the SSD, and then I get a screen on the OSX login window. I don't know why clover boots automatically after 5 secs, I never told it to.. Maybe it's because one of the things I installed via multibeast.

So what could I've done wrong or what do I still need to do to get better performance in Unigine Heaven?

Hi All
I have built Hackintosh with these spec
MOBO:Gigbyte Z170X Gaming 5 (working perfectly )
Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistix
GPU:Sapphire RX 480 8GB Nitro installation followed as from this Thread title ([GUIDE] [SUCCESS] MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X full acceleration in macOS Sierra)
CPU:I7 Skylake
OS X: Sierra 10.12.3

I experiment of installing one Sapphire RX480 Nitro + GTX 980 working fine together with Adobe apps but causing crash for FCPX 10.3 Due to using both of Open CL and Cuda.

Rx 480 dose better performance for FCPX and Motion 5 compare to GTX980

I tried Dual Sapphire RX 480 Nitro with many different configuration Inject EDID, Fake ID, Inject ATI and inject intel (disabled and enabled), Different Smbios. all tests stuck in loading bar when reached half then stop.

what i believe that the system read both cards are from same port which cause conflict and stop working

I have upload Config list for the last test made below

if anyone has tested dual RX 480 fixed the problem please advice

Attachments

• Last Test.plist
    5.9 KB · Views: 258
Hi All
I have built Hackintosh with these spec
MOBO:Gigbyte Z170X Gaming 5 (working perfectly )
Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistix
GPU:Sapphire RX 480 8GB Nitro installation followed as from this Thread title ([GUIDE] [SUCCESS] MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X full acceleration in macOS Sierra)
CPU:I7 Skylake
OSV: Sierra 10.12.3

I experiment of installing one Sapphire RX480 Nitro + GTX 980 working fine together with Adobe apps but causing crash for FCPX 10.3 Due to using both of Open CL and Cuda.

Rx 480 dose better performance for FCPX and Motion 5 compare to GTX980

I tried Dual Sapphire RX 480 Nitro with many different configuration Inject EDID, Fake ID, Inject ATI and inject intel (disabled and enabled), Different Smbios. all tests stuck in loading bar when reached half then stop.

what i believe that the system read both cards are from same port which cause conflict and stop working

I have upload Config list for the last test made below

if anyone has tested dual RX 480 fixed the problem please advice

Do you have a spare or backup Ssd or hdd?

I was able to run 2 RX 480 cards by selecting inject Intel, and no inject ATI, no EDID, no Load Video Bios. Once you have the 4100kext mod done correctly and have accleration you don't need anything for the RX cards to get support.

Try this, use EFIMounter and mount your EFI partition. Open clover folder and pull your config.plist out and save in a folder. Now remove it to trash (no EFI folder in clover).
Next go to main partition using the GO tab/Computer/(select disk Sierra is on)/EFI Backups folder. Open and remove config.plist to trash.

You now have no config.plists in either folder. Now download a new clover bootloader and instal. This should give you a MacBook 1.1 definition in system bios in clover EFI folder.

Run clover configurator and mount EFI partition, go to devices and add Intel fake ID 0x19120003, and then go to graphics section and add ig. Platform 0x0a206080. Don't select inject ATI, or Inject Intel. Set any other fixes you normally run on your system but stay away from sound fixes for now. Run the magic wand and select system definition and make a new serial number. Now remove that serial number and replace with your saved config.plist numbers (if the numbers were good and are important to you).

Close clover configurator and then open EFI folder/partition and check that the fixes and IDs are there. Then reboot, at clover screen check again that you have fixes in graphics section and then boot. Try first without inject Intel and if it doesn't work try inject Intel. Report findings.

Note: Open GL which is most of the programs in OS Sierra will not use the second gpu, but open CL programs like Luxmark will use both cards and double your scores.

This is a great guide, but it does not work for me. I only read the guide on the first post of this thread since this thread has 46 pages, sorry I cannot read all the pages to get the information I want .
What do I have to do with Sierra 10.12.3? Is it still the 4100.kext or anither file?

Do I have to activate injectAMD? If so, which ID etc?

This is a great guide, but it does not work for me. I only read the guide on the first post of this thread since this thread has 46 pages, sorry I cannot read all the pages to get the information I want .
What do I have to do with Sierra 10.12.3? Is it still the 4100.kext or anither file?

Do I have to activate injectAMD? If so, which ID etc?

When you do the 4100 kext modification make sure that you remove the info.plist from folder and place it on desktop. Then open the desktop copy and make the change. Don't use the 67EO1002 definition change it back to 67EO if you did. Instead use the 67EF1002 to change to 0x67DF1002. After you make the change to the desktop copy hit save, then drag it back to the original folder and make sure you get "authenticate, and "replace" prompts, then enter password. You're not done yet, use Kextwizzard and select the top box in the middle of the window it should automatically check off all three boxes. Hit enter then password. Now after you reboot it should work.

To get to the 4100 kext start with top tool bar and select "GO" drag down to "computer" and select. Open the Ssd or hdd that has Sierra on it and then select "System" then select "library" then select "extensions" that is where the 4100kext will be.

You don't need to inject ATI, but you can the card should get picked up either way once the 4100kext change is done correctly. Don't use any ID if you change the kext, don't use EDID either, just leave it alone or choose inject ATI, maybe try both settings.

Thanks for the reply. I followed the video from post 443, but I forgot to use kextwizard to install the kext, now my system seems not to boot anymore. The loading bar stops at three quarters and just stays there, I waited ten minutes now.

Also in the video it says that EDID should be used.

Is there any chance that I can boot into my system or do I need to reinstall? Maybe reinstall will wirk neither, because I modified the config...

Thanks for the reply. I followed the video from post 443, but I forgot to use kextwizard to install the kext, now my system seems not to boot anymore. The loading bar stops at three quarters and just stays there, I waited ten minutes now.

Also in the video it says that EDID should be used.

Is there any chance that I can boot into my system or do I need to reinstall? Maybe reinstall will wirk neither, because I modified the config...

Turn off system power supply. Unplug the power connector (6-8 pin connector) to your RX card and try to boot. Make the fixes and then try again with power connected.

If that doesn't work try some of these and keep at it for awhile.
Before you hit enter to boot hit the space bar once. Choose verbose, safe, and towards the bottom debug kexts, if those don't work try a few others as well or in combination like -xcpm, and slide=0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back