Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated the BIOS to F21 on my Gigabyte Designare. Everything works, still have full acceleration but now I can't boot with Inject ATI without a kernel panic. I can still boot with Inject Intel + Inject ATI but even while on RX 480 graphics it's somewhat choppy again even though it's benchmarking the same.

Any ideas?

Wanna report that I just success on my Gigabyte RX 480 4GB, with ASUS Z170-E motherboard.
with full acceleration, passed Unigine Valley Benchmark Ultra.

This video helped me a lot, it help me set up bios and everything step by step, and I highly recommend to watch it before you go.

But still one thing annoying:
I have to set iGFX as primary graphic output (output video from motherboard), and enable multi-motitor.
So I suppose to connect both HDMI Monitor 1 on MB and DP Monitor 2 on GPU.
If I connect both: boot up well, but I have to unplug the HDMI on MB and reset display setting every time of boot
If I connect only DP, the moniter won't show the Clover boot loader, monitor turn on when Sierra starts, I cannot dual boot to Windows in this way
If I connect to HDMI on MB only: I cannot see anything, but apparently system started with Sierra OS.

Any solution there?

MacOS can handle multiple GPU usage from within macOS - it does not require additional connections like Crossfire in windows does. It is even possible to use multiple AMD and nvidia GPUs together - although I wouldn't advise this as you are unable to assign individual cards to specific applications.

Multiple GPU installation will improve performance and that is why many folk use two 280X cards for FCPX
Thank you Adrian B. Does someone mix up a 280X with a RX 480 8 go ? How it performs ?

I would stick with HD7970/R9 280X at this point in time on any primary build. The new RX range is fine for those wishing to be early adopters using a second machine for testing. I wouldn't do this for an actual production machine as you will be in for a rough ride with early adopter hardware.

I recommend using either a single 7970 or two 7970 GPUs in any given build. The same with the R9 280X, I am still using Yosemite for FCPX. :thumbup:

I am still using Yosemite for FCPX
Same here on my Z87X-OC + R9 380 as it runs flawlessly but suffers the same bug in El Capitan/Sierra as these RX 4XX. I have thought several times about switching it out for a 980 and upgrading yet for 1) I'm not willing to give up on finding out the reason why things have changed since Yosemite and 2) It just works so well where it is with no added cost.

Fresh install of 10.12.3, I did everything to get full acceleration but my system refuses to use my RX 480 graphics even when I inject ATI.

As you can see by my the screenshots, my system registers the card and says it's supported but when you go 'About this Mac' it refuses to use it.

Any ideas?

10.12.3rx480.png

[SOLVED] by using only Inject EDID.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Does anybody work the final cut 10.3, 10.3.1 or 10.3.2 in saw 10.2.3 with rx 480 XFX ??? Is that when I give to new project always shut down the program and gives me the error report. With the final cut 10.2 does not happen, it works correctly but I would like to use the latest update because it is more optimized and I like it more!:p

Hi everyone!
I wanna know if my cpu(E3-1231v3)have no igpu and my mainboard only have 1 pci-e slot(B85M-D2V)

There is no way to get Gigabyte AMD RX460 4G work with acceleration,right? :crazy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 5.32.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 5.31.55 PM.png
About This Mac show the correct info

but why no acceleration? everything seems lag :banghead:

Last edited:
Hello guys, I'm new to hackintoshing and after reading a lot I've build my first one this weekend. This is my hardware:

Gygabite ga z170x-ud3
Skylake i7 6700k
MSI Radeon rx 480x gaming 8gb
16gb DDR4 RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2C8G4D240FSB
750w power supply
Samsung evo 500gb ssd
Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (dp, hdmi, dvi, vga inputs)

The monitor is connected via hdmi to my rx480. And via vga to my z170x-ud3. With hdmi input selected.

I've installed osx Sierra via unibeast and installed drivers via multibeast. Multibeast settings:
Quick start > uefi boot mode
Drivers > audio > realtek alcxxx > ALC1150
Drivers > audio > realtek alcxxx > 100 series audio
Drivers > misc > fakeSMC v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723
Drivers > misc > fakeSMC plugins v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723
Drivers > misc > fakeSMC hwmonitor application v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723
Drivers > misc > NullCPUPowermanagement v1.0.0d2
Drivers > network > intel > IntelMausiEthernet v2.2.0
Bootloaders > clover v2.3k r3766 UEFI Boot Mode
Customize > system definitions > iMac > iMac 14,2
Reboot.

Audio and network are working.
Graphics are (as expected) not so good, lines and no accelartion ofc.

Then I've read this whole forum post, thanks everyone for giving tips.
And did my best to get accelartion to work on my rx480.

First I've edited the 4100kext (copy to desktop, make duplicate, edit, and copy back to the kext). Then ive Cleard cache via terminal command, ran kext utility and rebooted.
Went into bios, set primary gpu to mobo and igfx to auto. Saved and exit and rebooted. Then i did the 9500kext edit via ihex (also made a backup of the file first), ran kext utility and rebooted.

Switched monitor to vga (my mobo) and saw clover, before pressing enter i removed the vga cable from my mobo, and pressed enter. Switched monitor input to hdmi (rx480) and got the login screen and sierra. Metal is supporter and it seems like ive got accelration. When i open chess for example all looks good (which it didnt before). So it seems to work fine.

My question now is, when i go to display settings osx sees that i have 2 monitors connected (which i dont, got only the one dell). My top bar is on the good screen (flashes red). But now i can move my mouse out of the screen (cause osx thinks ive got 2 displays connected) which i dont like. But when i choose mirror displays, it seems like it uses my mobo gpu or somerhing, cause when i drag a safari window left and right its verry laggy. When i turn of mirror displays and drag the window all is fine.

Is this normal or is there a fix i can do? Im not at home atm so havent run any benchmarks yet.

And are there anymore stepps i can do to increase performance?

EDIT: my goal is to use FCPX for professional edditing, and also using a new ssd for dualboot windows.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My question now is, when i go to display settings osx sees that i have 2 monitors connected (which i dont, got only the one dell). My top bar is on the good screen (flashes red). But now i can move my mouse out of the screen (cause osx thinks ive got 2 displays connected) which i dont like. But when i choose mirror displays, it seems like it uses my mobo gpu or somerhing, cause when i drag a safari window left and right its verry laggy. When i turn of mirror displays and drag the window all is fine.

What happens if you try to start with only the hdmi cable attached to the dGPU (meaning a blind start). Do you still end up with 2 displays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back