Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again and thanks for the second reply

But my first post wasnt only concerned with audio as I said "I've just noticed Airplay Mirroring isn't there at all." meaning no mirroring to Apple TV and all my Airplay only devices in my house are there in iTunes etc.

And by my "forgive me if you are in the US" statement I simply meant about the Sky Q box, incase you wondered what the hell I was talking about, but you are obviously better informed that most; if I were to ask my friends in LA what a Sky Q box was I can tell you now they wouldn't have a clue.

I should also of said US or other country outside of the UK as you gave me no indication where you were from it was purely guess work.

There was definately no anti-US thing going on there either as my grandfather was from CA. which makes me of course 25% american so sorry if you took offence which was unintentional.

This is no sound on my DP is indeed an issue, as by now you have realised that it took a lot of planning to get this far.

None taken. Just trying to understand what you have available to get you to what you are trying to achieve. I suspect that if you try to use the audio output from the motherboard (or an optical to audio convertor) to your speaker system that you will be able to get some sound -- that is if the audio out from your monitor is line-level (the motherboard output is line-level -- there is that headphone level output also). Other than than that can you try a low cost USB audio adapter? How is the Airplay audio not suitable?

this might be a little off topic but my final cut pro 10.3.,1 is crashing when I select import or create new project ...is it relating to gpu?

Hi again and thanks for the second reply

But my first post wasnt only concerned with audio as I said "I've just noticed Airplay Mirroring isn't there at all." meaning no mirroring to Apple TV and all my Airplay only devices in my house are there in iTunes etc.

Usually, problems with AirPlay (Mirroring) are network related. Although there is an outside chance it is graphics card related, it is not typical at all. (I suspect the moderators would prefer that discussion be in the networking or general help section.)

Things to check are router settings, firewall settings, ethernet settings, wifi settings, etc. Make sure your devices are all on the same network sub-net, no ports accidentally got blocked, things of that nature. The GPU does have some small part to play in the mix as you use the Displays Preference pane to set the resolution setting for the connected device, but that is about it.

Hey there, and thanks for the reply, but I could of saved you a bit of typing as this same machine dual boots and I can get generic airplay mirroring (eg from YouTube) working and Airplay (sound) works from iTunes on windows. Also I have 7 apple TV units around the house and they all work fine from MacBook's, IPad, IPhone etc. so its not my network. Its the GPU undoubtedly and suspect that the audio not being present on HDMI or DP is part of the same issue.

Hey there, and thanks for the reply, but I could of saved you a bit of typing as this same machine dual boots and I can get generic airplay mirroring (eg from YouTube) working and Airplay (sound) works from iTunes on windows. Also I have 7 apple TV units around the house and they all work fine from MacBook's, IPad, IPhone etc. so its not my network. Its the GPU undoubtedly and suspect that the audio not being present on HDMI or DP is part of the same issue.

Can you use AirDrop from your machine to your MacBook or your iPad or iPhone? How your new machine connects to the network is the issue. Windows will use a different system than will macOS, so what will work in one os may not work in the other.

Edit: just to elaborate on that, I have different versions of Sierra (different boot disks) being used on the same machine. These are set up differently and act differently, but all of them are using the same graphics card. Try Airplay (sound) from your new machine. If it does not work, you have some other issue, most likely networking.

Last edited:
When booting normally it seems I now have to have my HDMI cable plugged into the motherboard to access the BIOS/UEFI and Clover Bootloader. I think this is because of changing my primary display settings to IGFX, the problem is that after booting I have to switch the cable from the motherboard to my graphics card. My question is, can I switch this setting back to having the default be the PCI slot of my RX 480 and still have full acceleration? It's a tad annoying have to switch my cable back and forth for every boot.

Thanks for all of the work involved!

Attachments

• beforecores.jpeg
    beforecores.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 152
  • rx480after.jpeg
    rx480after.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
From my own experience just leaving the HDMI plugged into the GPU and waiting for the login screen works, although I did something that messed up the initial screen resolution when booting with the HDMI in the GPU. So I've been back to having it plugged into the Internal Graphics at the start.

The screen will be black at the start but eventually your login screen will pop up. Just make sure you have the boot priority set up in the BIOS.

The BIOS settings are:
Initial Display Output in "IGFX"
Internal Graphics in "primary"
When I boot with the HDMI cable in the RX480 and none in the HD530 there will be no login screen.

Initial Display output is fine, Internal Graphics should be set to "Auto."

Can you use AirDrop from your machine to your MacBook or your iPad or iPhone? How your new machine connects to the network is the issue. Windows will use a different system than will macOS, so what will work in one os may not work in the other.

Edit: just to elaborate on that, I have different versions of Sierra (different boot disks) being used on the same machine. These are set up differently and act differently, but all of them are using the same graphics card. Try Airplay (sound) from your new machine. If it does not work, you have some other issue, most likely networking.

All Macs/PC's in house work fine on Airplay (Sound & Vision) - combination of connections of devices as I Cat 6 cabled the whole house; all wifi devices mirror, new Hack ONLY works on Airplay Sound not screen and symbol at top of screen is not there (works from within iTunes only). Airdrop does not work on hack but works on all other devices.

All Macs/PC's in house work fine on Airplay (Sound & Vision) - combination of connections of devices as I Cat 6 cabled the whole house; all wifi devices mirror, new Hack ONLY works on Airplay Sound not screen and symbol at top of screen is not there (works from within iTunes only). Airdrop does not work on hack but works on all other devices.

You can easily verify whether or not the card is the problem by pulling it and using your HD530 IGPU to make the same test. (Though being able to get the Windows option to work essentially says the same thing, that the card is okay, that something else is wrong.)

AirDrop not working says something is not configured correctly and so macOS cannot find the means to tunnel its signal out. The most obvious places to check are ethernet, wifi, bluetooth and firewall and then router.

I do think this is more of a question for either General help or Networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back