Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you able to get the XFX RX 480 working? If so how did you do it?

Set motherboard bios to igpu or IGFX as primary display output (integrated graphics mode) and set IGFX dedicated memory allocation to 64mb, and then make a definition change in Sierra AMD4100kext.

Set motherboard bios to igpu or IGFX as primary display output (integrated graphics mode) and set IGFX dedicated memory allocation to 64mb, and then make a definition change in Sierra AMD4100kext.

Thanks @Gigamaxx
It's Working now..
But I must boot with Intel HD530 until the login screen then I plug the HDMI to rx 480. It's exhaust me. Is there any method to boot dirrctly with my VGA?

Attachments

• tmp_6004-IMG_20170104_1211391009767047.jpg
    tmp_6004-IMG_20170104_1211391009767047.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 115
Thanks @Gigamaxx
It's Working now..
But I must boot with Intel HD530 until the login screen then I plug the HDMI to rx 480. It's exhaust me. Is there any method to boot dirrctly with my VGA?

Download "Clover Configurator" google it.
Download EFI mounter use search tool on this site.
1). Open EFI mounter and select disk0s1 if you only have one Ssd or hdd connected in Sierra.
2). Open the EFI folder that appears, and then open clover folder, then drag your config.plist to desktop.
3). Right click on config.plist on desktop and select "open with" Clover configurator should appear as an option. If not open clover configurator and then close it again, then repeat the " open with" process until you get the clover configurator option.
4). When you open it go to SMBios and check to see if your system specs are there.
Then choose Boot from the menu bar. There is a bar that has "Default Boot Volume" click on the blue tab and select Last booted Volume if you have only one Ssd or hdd, or you can select the name of your Ssd or hdd.
5). Below it there's a "Timeout" tab, this sets the automatic boot start time, 0 will give you no chance to see the clover screen and make adjustments, 5 is default and is a 5 second delay so you have time to stop the process if you need to make any adjustments in clover. Leave it at 5 is the best option.
6). Save changes and close clover, then drag the desktop config.plist (edited) to you clover folder and make sure you get the "replace" prompt and that it goes back to its original location.
7). Reboot and it should autoboot on its own without you hitting enter. If all goes well and you get to log in screen then you can try it with the cable only connected to the RX card.

This is called the black screen boot method, it is not a problem as long as you have your clover configuration ready and don't need to make any last second changes before booting. You will know if it's working because the RX card will rev up the fans before you see any screen action, if you hear that you should get to log in screen.

If you want to remove password requirement you can go to "System Preferences" and select "Users and Groups" hit the unlock button on bottom of window and then select "log in options" you can select auto login and your system will boot from black screen to Sierra without needing a password.

*** if you're ok with security and not worried about anyone else accessing your computer then this works great. If you don't want anyone else to have access then don't use auto login.

Download "Clover Configurator" google it.
Download EFI mounter use search tool on this site.
1). Open EFI mounter and select disk0s1 if you only have one Ssd or hdd connected in Sierra.
2). Open the EFI folder that appears, and then open clover folder, then drag your config.plist to desktop.
3). Right click on config.plist on desktop and select "open with" Clover configurator should appear as an option. If not open clover configurator and then close it again, then repeat the " open with" process until you get the clover configurator option.
4). When you open it go to SMBios and check to see if your system specs are there.
Then choose Boot from the menu bar. There is a bar that has "Default Boot Volume" click on the blue tab and select Last booted Volume if you have only one Ssd or hdd, or you can select the name of your Ssd or hdd.
5). Below it there's a "Timeout" tab, this sets the automatic boot start time, 0 will give you no chance to see the clover screen and make adjustments, 5 is default and is a 5 second delay so you have time to stop the process if you need to make any adjustments in clover. Leave it at 5 is the best option.
6). Save changes and close clover, then drag the desktop config.plist (edited) to you clover folder and make sure you get the "replace" prompt and that it goes back to its original location.
7). Reboot and it should autoboot on its own without you hitting enter. If all goes well and you get to log in screen then you can try it with the cable only connected to the RX card.

This is called the black screen boot method, it is not a problem as long as you have your clover configuration ready and don't need to make any last second changes before booting. You will know if it's working because the RX card will rev up the fans before you see any screen action, if you hear that you should get to log in screen.

If you want to remove password requirement you can go to "System Preferences" and select "Users and Groups" hit the unlock button on bottom of window and then select "log in options" you can select auto login and your system will boot from black screen to Sierra without needing a password.

*** if you're ok with security and not worried about anyone else accessing your computer then this works great. If you don't want anyone else to have access then don't use auto login.

I often face this fail screen when booting, do you know why it happens? and now I can't boot up without spending time on clover bootloader menu before I choose the HFS drive. I
have followed Your @Gigamaxx config.plist boot setting, but it's not work, I got black screen.

Can You specifically tell me all setting in config.plist? Should I inject ati or inject intel?

Oya, I have tried change R9 xxx to RX 480 in 9500controller.kext but it makes my PC won't work/run via rx 480, when I plug the HDMI to rx 480 it just black screen, when I boot with hd 530, in system report graphics rx 480 show as PCI-e.

I'm so curious, how to make my PC run perfectly, fully working.

Attachments

• tmp_19941-mac-prohibit-symbol-screen-icon430651119.png
    tmp_19941-mac-prohibit-symbol-screen-icon430651119.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 89
What do you mean when you put MSI under supported rx480? does that mean all msi 480s are supported?

What do you mean when you put MSI under supported rx480? does that mean all msi 480s are supported?

This thread was started when Sierra was very new. I tested several cards in the begining and found some would work and get acceleration and others would not. I always went back to my XFX RX 480 reference card after testing to confirm it wasn't my configuration. As time has gone on and as Sierra drivers have been expanded more people are reporting success with cards I had tested earlier to no avail. XFX, MSI, PowerCooler, and Sapphire are all well documented to have support, Asus, and Gigabyte models may be a little more tricky to get working from what I've read lately and from assisting people to get them working.

As for "Supported" that means they run with acceleration and can pass rigorous benchmarks. Many AMD cards require igpu as primary display in order to work in Sierra that didn't need those settings in EL Capitan. So "Support" needs to be clarified and you can't compare it to Nvidia support because they provide drivers to make their cards work in "dedicated" graphics mode. We are stuck with the "Native" drivers in OSX which limits us, but also allows us to not worry about updates and having to wait for the next Nvidia driver to come out. There are pros and cons to using these and other late model AMD cards. With AMDs Vega 10 now found in the drivers it looks like Apple has chosen AMD for it near future performance builds.

This thread was started when Sierra was very new. I tested several cards in the begining and found some would work and get acceleration and others would not. I always went back to my XFX RX 480 reference card after testing to confirm it wasn't my configuration. As time has gone on and as Sierra drivers have been expanded more people are reporting success with cards I had tested earlier to no avail. XFX, MSI, PowerCooler, and Sapphire are all well documented to have support, Asus, and Gigabyte models may be a little more tricky to get working from what I've read lately and from assisting people to get them working.

As for "Supported" that means they run with acceleration and can pass rigorous benchmarks. Many AMD cards require igpu as primary display in order to work in Sierra that didn't need those settings in EL Capitan. So "Support" needs to be clarified and you can't compare it to Nvidia support because they provide drivers to make their cards work in "dedicated" graphics mode. We are stuck with the "Native" drivers in OSX which limits us, but also allows us to not worry about updates and having to wait for the next Nvidia driver to come out. There are pros and cons to using these and other late model AMD cards. With AMDs Vega 10 now found in the drivers it looks like Apple has chosen AMD for it near future performance builds.
Does that mean this one will work? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137049

It should, the reference and gaming models have been working. That's a good price for newegg!
Thank you for letting me know! I thought I would be stuck with a card I didn't want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back