Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
so this is not possible with a X99 system (you need iGPU to make it work?)

I have thought of another way to do this.
I am pretty sure that you can use Clover's in-built kext-patching (using the Info.plist patch checkbox in Clover Configurator) to do this. Am I right? Also, has anyone got a Sapphire RX 480 NITRO + OC with 8 GB of RAM working?

I have Sapphire RX 470 Nitro 8gb working by using Gigamaxx method.

My main monitor is LG ultrawide with 2 hdmi input.

For initial setup, I used a second old LCD with VGA port connected to motherboard VGA port. My main monitor was connected to Sapphire using hdmi. Primary gpu was set as igpu in bios.

Once everything worked in order and I got accelerated display, shutdown the system. Pulled the connector from second moitor put a VGA to HDMI converter dongle onto vga connector and plugged it to the second hdmi port on my main monitor. put back my second monitor into the closet.

Now, everytime I boot, it is all black screen until login screen appear.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 6.51.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 6.51.18 PM.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 373
Gigamaxx,
I know that this not on topic for this guide, but how did you update to Sierra?

There is a guide on this forum to make a USB to boot up with. You will need a genuine Apple/Macintosh or working hackintosh to get it made up. Do you have access to a Macintosh?
The general public version is to be released on sept. 20 or next week. I signed up with Apple for the beta testing program, but next week it will be open to anyone with an apple account.

I sometimes use a "dirty" method of installing by hooking up a Ssd with a connector port cable as a second disk in the system (backup) on my apple laptop. I install Sierra on the new disk, let it go through the prompts and restart etc... Then I shut it down, remove the disk, reboot with main drive and then attach cable/disk to install the clover bootloader. If I can't get it to load I will hook it back up to laptop and run Multibeast to give it a boost. It works, but the most solid way is to mount with a USB on a clean disk.

Jambr08,
Which HDMI port is your monitor displaying while booting and while you are using the PC (The one connected to your RX 470 or the one connected to your VGA to HDMI converter on your motherboard's VGA port)?

Jambr08,
Which HDMI port is your monitor displaying while booting and while you are using the PC (The one connected to your RX 470 or the one connected to your VGA to HDMI converter on your motherboard's VGA port)?

While booting, it is using HDMI 2. the one that is connected to motherboard using VGA to HDMI converter.
it gives me blank screen right from when the power button is pressed. so, no POST, no clover boot selection, no apple logo.

Then it automatically switching to HDMI 1 port, the one that is connected to RX-470 and displaying login screen and stay on HDMI 1 until I shutdown or restart my computer.

so this is not possible with a X99 system (you need iGPU to make it work?)

I was able to get it to work using my R9 270x and RX 480 in a crossfire type setup. The R9 270x acts like the igpu. I did this with my pentium g3258 haswell build. I used pcie selection for primary display output. It was dedicated graphics for the R9 270x the RX card got picked up and supported and was able to accelerate. You can get it to work but will need an AMD "native" card to get it to do so.

I installed Mac OS Sierra GM and activated the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 8GB. I followed Gigamaxx's guide, it worked great. Thanks Gigamax.

The card still buggy. What is working so far is full resolution on an Apple display 27" monitor, connected to a display port.
What is not working: I don't have acceleration, the screen is slow, specially when I move a window. I have artifacts on the screen and I don't have acceleration. Applications quit unexpectedly.

What is the next step? Should I inject ITA on clover configurator? Are they any changes should I make on Clover config?

Also I have a Intel core i7 470K processor with HD 4600 GPU. Should activate the Intel GPU by inject intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back