Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Motherboard
MSI Z170 G43 Plus
CPU
Intel i7 6700K
Graphics
XFX Radeon RX 480 RS 4GB
I just updated, restarted (lost acceleration), reapplied the patches to the AMD9500Controller and AMDRadeonX4100 kexts, refreshed the kext cache and restarted. That was it.
did you instal AGDPfix again to make it work?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare z170x
CPU
intel core i7 6700K
Graphics
Gigabyte Windforce RX 480 8G
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
Graphics
Asus ROG Strix 1070 OC
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I just updated, restarted (lost acceleration), reapplied the patches to the AMD9500Controller and AMDRadeonX4100 kexts, refreshed the kext cache and restarted. That was it.
Did you compare the Kexts from 10.12.2 to the 10.12.3 ones and if so were there any differences? I am asking because if there's no difference other than the alterations to get full acceleration, I can just back up 10.12.2 kexts and re-implement them easily using KextUtility in 10.12.3.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare z170x
CPU
intel core i7 6700K
Graphics
Gigabyte Windforce RX 480 8G
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Did you compare the Kexts from 10.12.2 to the 10.12.3 ones and if so were there any differences? I am asking because if there's no difference other than the alterations to get full acceleration, I can just back up 10.12.2 kexts and re-implement them easily using KextUtility in 10.12.3.
Didn't compare, so I couldn't tell for sure. But since the patching process was the same I doubt there were any changes.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
Graphics
Asus ROG Strix 1070 OC
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Updated the BIOS to F21 on my Gigabyte Designare. Everything works, still have full acceleration but now I can't boot with Inject ATI without a kernel panic. I can still boot with Inject Intel + Inject ATI but even while on RX 480 graphics it's somewhat choppy again even though it's benchmarking the same.

Any ideas?

Motherboard
Z170-E
CPU
i5 6600K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Wanna report that I just success on my Gigabyte RX 480 4GB, with ASUS Z170-E motherboard.
with full acceleration, passed Unigine Valley Benchmark Ultra.

This video helped me a lot, it help me set up bios and everything step by step, and I highly recommend to watch it before you go.

But still one thing annoying:
I have to set iGFX as primary graphic output (output video from motherboard), and enable multi-motitor.
So I suppose to connect both HDMI Monitor 1 on MB and DP Monitor 2 on GPU.
If I connect both: boot up well, but I have to unplug the HDMI on MB and reset display setting every time of boot
If I connect only DP, the moniter won't show the Clover boot loader, monitor turn on when Sierra starts, I cannot dual boot to Windows in this way
If I connect to HDMI on MB only: I cannot see anything, but apparently system started with Sierra OS.

Any solution there?

Motherboard
Gigabyte 170X Thunderbolt 3
CPU
intel core i7 3700K 4.0 Ghz
Graphics
AMD radeon HD 6750 M
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
MacOS can handle multiple GPU usage from within macOS - it does not require additional connections like Crossfire in windows does. It is even possible to use multiple AMD and nvidia GPUs together - although I wouldn't advise this as you are unable to assign individual cards to specific applications.

Multiple GPU installation will improve performance and that is why many folk use two 280X cards for FCPX
Thank you Adrian B. Does someone mix up a 280X with a RX 480 8 go ? How it performs ?

Adrian B

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 5570
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Other
I would stick with HD7970/R9 280X at this point in time on any primary build. The new RX range is fine for those wishing to be early adopters using a second machine for testing. I wouldn't do this for an actual production machine as you will be in for a rough ride with early adopter hardware.

I recommend using either a single 7970 or two 7970 GPUs in any given build. The same with the R9 280X, I am still using Yosemite for FCPX. :thumbup:

wildwillow

Motherboard
Z170 Deluxe
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS, Other
I am still using Yosemite for FCPX
Same here on my Z87X-OC + R9 380 as it runs flawlessly but suffers the same bug in El Capitan/Sierra as these RX 4XX. I have thought several times about switching it out for a 980 and upgrading yet for 1) I'm not willing to give up on finding out the reason why things have changed since Yosemite and 2) It just works so well where it is with no added cost.