Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Set motherboard bios to igpu or IGFX as primary display output (integrated graphics mode) and set IGFX dedicated memory allocation to 64mb, and then make a definition change in Sierra AMD4100kext.
Thank you I got the XFX RX 480 8GB from BestBuy working, FCPX works well! I replaced 67EO1002 in info.plist from AMDRadeon4100.kext with 67DF1002. I also followed another post on changing things in config.plist. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-gaming-skylake-i5-6500-macos-10-12-2.209909/
Thanks for your help!

Here's the card in case someone else wants to try it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-har...ess-3-0-graphics-card/5550001.p?skuId=5550001

Figured it out.
Changed system def to 15,1 (from 14,2). The 15,1 more closely fits my hardware. Also, changed config.plist to "false" for inject ATI & Intel. Just did the 4100 kext edit alone.
Now FCPx and iMovie work fine. I have dual XFX RX480 cards driving 3 monitors in MacOS Sierra 10.12.1.
DP = 4k monitor
HDMI to DP adapter = 1080p monitor
HDMI = 1080p monitor
Scaling works beautifully. I have all 3 monitors plugged into a single card right now and in Win 10 can run crossfire. I keep the IGFx DVI to HDMI plugged into a second port on my 4k monitor and use the Picture in Picture feature to see the IGFx during boot.

BruceX test = 11.7 seconds

View attachment 221565 View attachment 221566
Hi i already have crush fcpx how you edit config.plist and 4100 kext , thank you :)

Figured it out.
Changed system def to 15,1 (from 14,2). The 15,1 more closely fits my hardware. Also, changed config.plist to "false" for inject ATI & Intel. Just did the 4100 kext edit alone.
Now FCPx and iMovie work fine. I have dual XFX RX480 cards driving 3 monitors in MacOS Sierra 10.12.1.
DP = 4k monitor
HDMI to DP adapter = 1080p monitor
HDMI = 1080p monitor
Scaling works beautifully. I have all 3 monitors plugged into a single card right now and in Win 10 can run crossfire. I keep the IGFx DVI to HDMI plugged into a second port on my 4k monitor and use the Picture in Picture feature to see the IGFx during boot.

BruceX test = 11.7 seconds

View attachment 221565 View attachment 221566
Hi , i have XFX rx 480 and hd530 but fcpx still crush on start can you describe your method , thank you so much :)

This thread was started when Sierra was very new. I tested several cards in the begining and found some would work and get acceleration and others would not. I always went back to my XFX RX 480 reference card after testing to confirm it wasn't my configuration. As time has gone on and as Sierra drivers have been expanded more people are reporting success with cards I had tested earlier to no avail. XFX, MSI, PowerCooler, and Sapphire are all well documented to have support, Asus, and Gigabyte models may be a little more tricky to get working from what I've read lately and from assisting people to get them working.

As for "Supported" that means they run with acceleration and can pass rigorous benchmarks. Many AMD cards require igpu as primary display in order to work in Sierra that didn't need those settings in EL Capitan. So "Support" needs to be clarified and you can't compare it to Nvidia support because they provide drivers to make their cards work in "dedicated" graphics mode. We are stuck with the "Native" drivers in OSX which limits us, but also allows us to not worry about updates and having to wait for the next Nvidia driver to come out. There are pros and cons to using these and other late model AMD cards. With AMDs Vega 10 now found in the drivers it looks like Apple has chosen AMD for it near future performance builds.

Hi Gigamaxx, have you tried two RX 480 cards at the same time? In my skylake system I can boot with one card and it works fine. I was trying with two identical cards but I get black screen at the end of the boot..

Hi Gigamaxx, have you tried two RX 480 cards at the same time? In my skylake system I can boot with one card and it works fine. I was trying with two identical cards but I get black screen at the end of the boot..

Try inject Intel and not injecting ATI. There is no crossfire support in OsX but you can double your open CL scores/performance in apps like Luxmark Ball benchmark.

Luxmark crossfire.png this is an old bench with 2 RX 480s

I have 10.12.2 up and running. This time I have gone clover modification method. Have followed the steps as per carpentryplus25 post 272. And I have also patched according to Mork_vom_Ork's clover patch. everything's working well. Now it shows rx 480 8gb, and acceleration works but luxmark shows only 16 cu active. Do I have to do something else to make more cu active?

My rx 480 running good with blackscreen boot way, but now I can't boot with my hd 530, even the power pin of rx 480 unplugged, my pc won't boot up with my hd 530. I need to instal windows, and get dual booting, and now I need to change my bios setting but my Pc wont boot into bios with hd 530. Help me, what should I do?

My rx 480 running good with blackscreen boot way, but now I can't boot with my hd 530, even the power pin of rx 480 unplugged, my pc won't boot up with my hd 530. I need to instal windows, and get dual booting, and now I need to change my bios setting but my Pc wont boot into bios with hd 530. Help me, what should I do?
To install windows, just change "init display" to auto or pcie in bios and unplug display out from motherboard and connect it only to graphics card. You will have boot screen and graphics card also. No need of removing the graphics card power.

To install windows, just change "init display" to auto or pcie in bios and unplug display out from motherboard and connect it only to graphics card. You will have boot screen and graphics card also. No need of removing the graphics card power.
I can't boot into bios, I don't know why, when I boot with hdmi plug to MoBo it just blackscreen

I can't boot into bios, I don't know why, when I boot with hdmi plug to MoBo it just blackscreen

Disconnect your Ssd/hdd and boot it should clear and go to bios screen. Turnoff plug drive back in and boot to bios by pressing " delete" key during start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back