Contribute
Register

Enabling 5K display with ATI Radeon RX480/580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I see... but as far as I know the Dell is out of stock (they don't build it anymore maybe?) and the HP/Philips do not support DCI-P3 so that's why I was looking into the Ultrafine 5k

Anyway I guess I'll wait for new monitors, and also does macOS support DP 1.4?

To be honest DCI-P3 gamut is not so interesting to me, especially because iMac has not HW LUT table so it cannot be profiled correctly. You will have sRGB and DCI-P3, lacking AdobeRGB and, more importantly, lacking any chance to have it correctly profiled. LG Ultrafine 5K is in the same league. Both are not professional monitors, despite their prices.

Monitors market is rapidly changing and more than 5K resolution what is appealing is HDR, Rec. 2020, 10bit wide gamut out of 12-14-16bits LUT tables. All this stuff is already available in 4K resolution but you won't find anything in 5K. At that point 4K (or even 5K scaled out of 4K monitor!) is more interesting than 5K by itself.

DP 1.4 support up to 8K/60hz on a single stream/cable but I guess it's way much easier to make a connector port than a panel. It's much easier assembling two 2K panels to have a 5K MST than building a new 5K panel SST.

You didn't show the timing info. See my second screenshot at #183
marlborolights78 did not post that screenshot, so we can't confirm that he was outputting 5K to the LG 5K.

I can confirm I was working in 5K. I suggest you to read my updated #2 post.

LG 5K uses Thunderbolt 3. USB-C could mean anything: power delivery, USB 1.1, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1, USB 3.1 with DisplayPort alternate mode. Thunderbolt 3 is able to transmit two 4K@60 Hz streams but only if the Thunderbolt 3 chip has 2 DisplayPort inputs (8 lanes total).

LG uses TH3 for all the rest of its stuff (ports, audio, camera, mic, hub) but its video signals are working as DisplayPort Alternate Mode for USB Type-C; that means two streams DP 1.2 working together. TH3 does nothing, it only encapsulates protocols in this case.

I can confirm I was working in 5K. I suggest you to read my updated #2 post.
Thanks for the new screen shot showing the timing information of the HP Z27q at 5K@60Hz.

LG uses TH3 for all the rest of its stuff (ports, audio, camera, mic, hub) but its video signals are working as DisplayPort Alternate Mode for USB Type-C; that means two streams DP 1.2 working together. TH3 does nothing, it only encapsulates protocols in this case.
If you mean USB Type-C DisplayPort alternate mode, then that would take take all 4 of the super speed lanes, so the USB 3.1 ports would not be able to work on the LG display.

The USB Type-C port must be working in Thunderbolt 3 alternate mode, which is different than DisplayPort alternate mode. I guess the Thunderbolt 3 chip queries the LG display for it's DisplayPort information, then presents that DisplayPort information to the graphics chip connected to its DisplayPort inputs. The graphics chip will see the presented DisplayPort devices and output the correct DisplayPort streams. This way, the graphics chip doesn't need to know anything about Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt 3 chip then sends the DisplayPort streams and the PCIe stream as packets across the Thunderbolt 3 cable. I guess there would be no USB stream. Instead, the LG would have a USB controller chip which uses the PCIe stream. The USB controller chip would then have connections for the USB ports and camera and microphone (is the microphone part of the camera or a separate device?). The audio output could be USB or DisplayPort.

I did that but still not able to get 4K on my monitor, 1080p is max.. is there any solution for that please?
Sierra version? ... all this guide is made possible only from 12.6 (beta at the monent) on...

Great post, thank you!

I could not figure out how did you find that the deviceID of your card was 0x67DF1002?

I'm trying to get 5K resolution on a similar config:
- GA-H170N-Wifi
- Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8G
- Dell UP2715K
- macOS 10.14

Thanks.

Great post, thank you!

I could not figure out how did you find that the deviceID of your card was 0x67DF1002?

I'm trying to get 5K resolution on a similar config:
- GA-H170N-Wifi
- Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8G
- Dell UP2715K
- macOS 10.14

Thanks.

Well, resolved. RX 580 + Mojave working in 5k without any additional patch!

Well, resolved. RX 580 + Mojave working in 5k without any additional patch!
grtdemo,thank you !
how do you let 5K ok? I use rx480 + 5K + 10.14.1,it always 2 zones or black.can you help me?

grtdemo,thank you !
how do you let 5K ok? I use rx480 + 5K + 10.14.1,it always 2 zones or black.can you help me?

I did a fresh install with Mojave using the latest Unibeast, and then in Multibeast selected MacPro 6,1 as System Definition.

Nothing else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back