Contribute
Register

Enabling 5K display with ATI Radeon RX480/580

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to someone that tries the UltraFine 5k! thanks a lot for this!

I look forward to someone that tries the UltraFine 5k! thanks a lot for this!
Since LG UltraFine 5K has only 1 USB-C TH3 ports that works with USB DP Alternate mode which implies it carries two simultaneous streams DP 1.2 over a single cable I think it would very difficult to have it works correctly at this time. We need GPU cards that has USB-C ports ...

Since LG UltraFine 5K has only 1 USB-C TH3 ports that works with USB DP Alternate mode which implies it carries two simultaneous streams DP 1.2 over a single cable I think it would very difficult to have it works correctly at this time. We need GPU cards that has USB-C ports ...
damn, that's bad news. So still there's no way to get a 5k display working on Hackintosh?

damn, that's bad news. So still there's no way to get a 5k display working on Hackintosh?

This guide is aimed to get a 5K display working properly on Hackintosh with an ATI RX480/580, but you must use a Dell 5K, or an HP 5K, or a Philips 5K; all monitors with dual DP ports input. LG uses USB-C...

This guide is aimed to get a 5K display working properly on Hackintosh with an ATI RX480/580, but you must use a Dell 5K, or an HP 5K, or a Philips 5K; all monitors with dual DP ports input. LG uses USB-C...
We also have Displayport 1.4 in recent GPU cards, which supports up to 8K with only one cable. We just have to wait for DP 1.4 monitors.

Normally monitor vendors are very fast with releasing cutting edge monitors, I wonder why they drop the ball on DP 1.4.

We also have Displayport 1.4 in recent GPU cards, which supports up to 8K with only one cable. We just have to wait for DP 1.4 monitors.

Normally monitor vendors are very fast with releasing cutting edge monitors, I wonder why they drop the ball on DP 1.4.
Oh I see... but as far as I know the Dell is out of stock (they don't build it anymore maybe?) and the HP/Philips do not support DCI-P3 so that's why I was looking into the Ultrafine 5k

Anyway I guess I'll wait for new monitors, and also does macOS support DP 1.4?

What a neat guide.

I know it's pretty difficult to explain, but facts are there and we have to accept them. Better: we have to find a possible explanation for this.
it's definitely 5K even if the OS states differently.
I can also put the monitor to 5K without Hi-DPI and it will work perfectly, as you can see:
so nobody can say it's not 5K res. It is!
And all the displays are working together:
MacOS still states 2560*1440px but it's evidently a mistake, the resolution is not read properly. Why? I don't really know. But I have some speculations.
You didn't show the timing info. See my second screenshot at #183
marlborolights78 did not post that screenshot, so we can't confirm that he was outputting 5K to the LG 5K.

LG 5K uses Thunderbolt 3. USB-C could mean anything: power delivery, USB 1.1, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1, USB 3.1 with DisplayPort alternate mode. Thunderbolt 3 is able to transmit two 4K@60 Hz streams but only if the Thunderbolt 3 chip has 2 DisplayPort inputs (8 lanes total).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back