CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have just performed a clean install of Mojave and finished up with MultiBeast 10.4.0 and everything seems to be working fine. The guide didn't mention anything about enabling Trim afterwards?
I thought I read somewhere that Trim is no longer needed with APFS?
Do I need to enable Trim?

Thanks

I have just performed a clean install of Mojave and finished up with MultiBeast 10.4.0 and everything seems to be working fine. The guide didn't mention anything about enabling Trim afterwards?
I thought I read somewhere that Trim is no longer needed with APFS?
Do I need to enable Trim?

Thanks

Hi @thegreatnorth. APFS includes Trim support as standard. If you open your "System Information' app, and look either in the 'SATA/SSD Express' or 'NVMExpress' sections, you should see that Trim Support is enabled.

Hi @thegreatnorth. APFS includes Trim support as standard. If you open your "System Information' app, and look either in the 'SATA/SSD Express' or 'NVMExpress' sections, you should see that Trim Support is enabled.

Trim Support is showing "No" in SATA/SATA Express
Should I enable it manually with the command?

Trim Support is showing "No" in SATA/SATA Express
Should I enable it manually with the command?

Hi, I'm now confused as I went and did some checking of other posts regarding Trim and APFS.

I'm NOT using APFS, as I had problems with it in the early days where it took forever to boot. I now believe this was because I had enabled Trim.

From digging around on this forum I found a few comments on whether you should or shouldn't enable trim.
I'm no expert on this though, but @vulgo is a very experienced user, so I respect his opinion. If in doubt, start a new post.

The Issue with Trim and APFS on 3rd party SSDs seems to be caused by Trimming taking place as the computer is booting so the more data you had on your SSD the longer your boot would take. It's better to do the routine everyone knows by now to go back to HFS+ and enable trim, or the not recommended option, stay on APFS and disable trim.

I used the command of
Code:
sudo trimforce enable
and the system partition was gradually corrupted within a half of day in my SATA SSD (Lite-On MU3 ROCK 120 GB released in 2017). This happened from both of my first (Sierra) and second (Mojave) builds.

I used the command of
Code:
sudo trimforce enable
and the system partition was gradually corrupted within a half of day in my SATA SSD (Lite-On MU3 ROCK 120 GB released in 2017). This happened from both of my first (Sierra) and second (Mojave) builds.

O.O
What SSD are you running please?

Today i installed Mojave on my iMac 27 Late 2013 with Samsung SSD. One tip for installation (if you get this error: this copy of the install macos mojave application is damaged):

“Step 1. Go to your Bootable USB.
Step 2. Find the icon Install macOS Mojave.
Step 3. Right click on the installer and click "Show Package Contents".
Step 4. Click on folder named "Contents".
Step 5. Click on the folder named "SharedSupport".
Step 6. Delete the file named "InstallInfo.plist".
Step 7. Restart and try install again.”

I Erased Ssd with Disk Utility, MacOs Journaled nothing more and then I make clean installation. I see now Im using APSF and i didnt enabled trim. Clean fast start, mybe for a second faster then Sierra. Im using Logic Pro X and a lot of plugins all day now, everything works fine. Also adobe after effect, a lot off older apps etc. Cheers

I found this:
"(...)
What you don't want to do is turn it on and then change your mind a turn it off, which can lead to data corruption.
TRIM will release deleted blocks, It is recommended once enabled do a restart into SafeBoot Mode (hold the Shift key.)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262
Safe Mode does a Disk Repair and honors this trimforce command, effectively removing all the old deleted data.

(...)
"

I guess Clover boot menu has a way to boot into safe mode. I'll look into it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back