Contribute
Register

Enable Trim in Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tested your SSD with smartmontools (smartctl) to see if it's not the problem?
I’m sorry for this late response. I was building a new Hackintosh PC at the moment so I may have missed some notifications here. The current macOS system drive of my primary (personal) machine has become a Crucial MX500 500GB, and that Lite-On MU3 ROCK 120GB is now the macOS system drive of my secondary (office) machine. I also installed an SU750 into my aftermarket MacBook Pro (2012 non-retina 13-inch).

I had forgot about Trim for almost one year and I was also afraid of that corruption happening again. Because of the slowing down speed of those SSDs recently, I recalled that their Trim function was still disabled. I decided to take risk again as it should be fine to enable Trim to all of those three SSDs, and Micron even published a page about enabling Trim on macOS, indicating it should be truly fine for MX500 at least. Moreover, smartmontools shows no error for them.

The first reboot after enabling Trim is definitely much slower, but it resumes the normal speed after more reboots. Performances are now better, but I still need time to see if any corruption happens later. Maybe that issue is caused by something else of my old Hackintosh machine (now completely Windows-only) which also broke two of Intel SSD 330 120GB two years ago.

The first reboot after enabling Trim is definitely much slower, but it resumes the normal speed after more reboots. Performances are now better, but I still need time to see if any corruption happens later. Maybe that issue is caused by something else of my old Hackintosh machine (now completely Windows-only) which also broke two of Intel SSD 330 120GB two years ago.
Hi, I'm worrying about corruption as well. I'm getting corrupted warning from First Aid when I run it on disk itself, not volume. Could you check my thread and tell me if you have the same or is it ok to get that error on disk itself?

Here's my thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/trim-on-mojave.289243/

Thanks

Hi, I'm worrying about corruption as well. I'm getting corrupted warning from First Aid when I run it on disk itself, not volume. Could you check my thread and tell me if you have the same or is it ok to get that error on disk itself?

Here's my thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/trim-on-mojave.289243/

Thanks
Your problem is completely unrelated to mine. About the corruption, it is confirmed to be caused by a defected SSD. I had requested an RMA and got a BX500 120GB back.

I see, have you ever tried running First Aid on the disk itself, not the volume? And if so, what result have you got?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back