Contribute
Register

Enable GPU Mercury Engine on Premiere CS6 and AE CS6 for GTX 660Ti (and other Nvidia cards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you were going to tell me you got it working. I hate to hear that. I've been stuck inside all week myself so I understand how you feel right now. i really didn't find a lot info on the internet about the problem i was having. I think the updates fixed it for me but like you said it could be the differences in our hardware and software. I remember thinking yesterday after spending hours trying to figure this out and that out....this is what I worried about back in the summer when i first decided to try this. And so her I am....right in the middle of it. The only help I have is what I can find on youtube or google and tonymac86. I have to say.. it's been a bumpy ride but not as bad I thought it might be. I understand what you meant about the aircraft you bought. It kinda sucks the joy right out of it after you spend all your time tweaking and setting and rebooting just to find out 2 days later, you're no closer than you were! I hope you get it working. I know you don't want to change over to windows after all this. Hopefully you'll figure it out. Good Luck! Keep me posted.

Ken

I just installed a Quadro 4000 (for Mac) in my MacPro 4,1 Quad Core Xeon, 12GB RAM, running Lion 10.7.5.
Updated drivers - both Nvidia and CUDA, but have no CUDA GPU accelaration in Premiere Pro.
I've tried the Terminal command line and it says:

--- GPU Computation Info ---
Found 1 devices supporting GPU computation.
OpenCL Device 0 -
Name: Quadro 4000
Capability: 1.1
Driver: 1.1
Total Video Memory: 2048MB
Not chosen because it did not match the named list of cards

Running the utility app "CUDA-Z" confirms that "CUDA not found!"

Can anyone help me? The whole reason I got this was for CUDA GPU acceleration.
I've even tried rolling back drivers to older, non-Mountain Lion versions with no success.

Thanks so much!

CUDA Worth It?

Procedure-
1. Get everything working.
2. Make bootable backup with Carbon Copy Cloner.
3. Screw around with CUDA to try to enable it.
4. If working make another backup.
If not working give up on your graphics card and buy another-more compatible one, or a CUDA enabled one from the list of supported cards...no need to switch to windows! Or give up on CUDA and proceed without it until such time as a viable card becomes available.

5. TEST CUDA and see if performance improves.

With respect to #5, I think the benefits of CUDA are frequently overstated. I have run renders with and without CUDA (delete all render files and re-render with and without Mercury playback accel). I have found that sometimes CUDA accelerated rendering is SLOWER than software-only, depends on the CPU, graphics card and overclock. Of course the effects and plugins you are using are also important since many do not benefit from CUDA at all but some benefit quite a bit. If you have a i5/i7 and a cheapie graphics card I think CUDA will slow you down. Extreme example- i5 w/ GT 640 is 30% slower in a render with CUDA than without (in one example I tried). If you have a high overclock (which you should as this is a key advantage of a hackintosh) you probably need a nice card to speed up with CUDA, and the speed advantage may not be that much, but I ask you all for examples as I am kind of estimating here.

I would not give up on OSX or hackintoshes just because CUDA was not able to be enabled.

Question for all of you- how much has CUDA actually sped things up?

Post #1 worked perfect for me! Same setup.

Thank you for the tuto, but in After Effects it will not work, i can select CPU only, GPU is grayed out!
Did any one have a solution?
Ahh i can put the ram size to what ever, nothing happened!

Thanks and regards

BIMMMM !

Really Thank you for this sharing. You are my HERO <3

Work for me on Yosemite 10.10.4 - GTX 600Ti - CS6 Creative Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back