Contribute
Register

Enable all cores R9 Fury cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
The patch isn't necessary for any card besides Ellesmere/Polaris10 and Fiji. They have native drivers with correct configuration, so no need to patch anything.

Awesome.

Do you guys know if OpenCL works more efficiently under Windows 10 or Linux than it does under the Mac?

Right now I am seeing some astounding results from someone allegedly using two R9 280 cards under Windows 10 vs my single R9 280X. It's literally unbelievable and makes me wonder if there is an OpenCL performance gap on the Mac side, or if the project's OpenCL code for Mac is not optimized very well.

Judging by Luxmark benchmarks, the OpenCL performance should be almost the same on OS X and Windows. On the other hand I've heard about some serious OpenCL bugs in macOS on some GPUs, and I'm not sure if all of this has already been fixed. Maybe this is affecting the performance in some special cases...?

Judging by Luxmark benchmarks, the OpenCL performance should be almost the same on OS X and Windows. On the other hand I've heard about some serious OpenCL bugs in macOS on some GPUs, and I'm not sure if all of this has already been fixed. Maybe this is affecting the performance in some special cases...?

I saw a lot of posts from a few years ago from developers bitterly griping about the Mac's OpenCL performance, but again, that was from a few years ago. Your comment about Luxmark benchmarks make me feel better about that though.

It could also be that the project I am on wrote poorly optimized Mac OpenCL apps. But I'm not sure that's the problem either.

But a rival is using Windows 10 and twin R9280s (not 280X) and is currently smoking me. It's really irking me. I think he has the cards overclocked, which would make sense. I can't find any other explanation.

So later I am going to try this to attempt overclocking my R9 280X, if it is still valid!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292744-overclock-graphic-card-with-clover/

I edited the AMD9500Controller kext in TextEdit, repaired permissions, rebooted. Then ran LuxMark. About 30 seconds into the benchmark, I get black screens and the GPU fan goes on high. Then it occurred to me that I did not hear the fan increase at all up until that point, as it had in the previous test. So I think it got too hot and protected itself.

Same here. It was about 50 seconds. Any one knows why? Thanks

So let's give it a go (search & replace with hex editor, fix permissions afterwards):

Change number of CU's from 16 to 36:
48 B8 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 48 89 43 54 C7 43 7C 08 00 00 00
48 B8 04 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 48 89 43 54 C7 43 7C 12 00 00 00

Remove CU limit (didn't alter for P10):
0F 42 C8 89 8B 80 00 00 00 44 88 B3 99 00 00 00 44 88 73 20
90 90 90 89 8B 80 00 00 00 44 88 B3 99 00 00 00 44 88 73 20

Change init function to Ellesmere instead of Baffin:
E8 49 85 FE FF BE 48 01 00 00 4C 89 F7
E8 46 E4 00 00 BE 48 01 00 00 4C 89 F7

Didn't test it, since I don't own any Polaris GPU's. Should unlock full OpenCL capabilities on Polaris 10 cards (RX 480 / 470). Could also crash the system, who knows. :lol:

Again, credits to okrasit for the original hack!

Edit: One more thing to test, try setting "PP_DisablePowerContainment" in AMD9500Controller.kext to "1".

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong in iHex with this? I have the information in as you see below but when I hit the Replace & Find button it just inserts it at the top.

I'm probably missing something obvious but I am new to this so any help would be appreciated.

ihexerror.jpeg

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong in iHex with this? I have the information in as you see below but when I hit the Replace & Find button it just inserts it at the top.

I'm probably missing something obvious but I am new to this so any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 231863

Click next and then replace, its not the most user friendly interface

Click next and then replace, its not the most user friendly interface

Thank you for the response!

I tried hitting "Next" and then "Replace" like you said but it's still just putting it at the top.

Even when I try to "Move to selection" it does nothing.

edit: I WAS IN THE WRONG FILE THE WHOLE TIME

It's not wasted time if you learn something right?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
reverting the PP_DisablePowerContainment fixed this for me

The 9500 kext info.plist change form 0 to 1 sent the fans into scream mode, and I had to hit the main power switch, changed the value to 5 and it works like the 0 or original setting, I will try different values and report any success and stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back