Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Elitebook 8760w - !! Success !!

Hey all,
Tried multiple times over the last few weeks to get Yosemite installed on this Elitebook with limited degrees of success each time. This time (todays install) with the newest files available to date I was able to get a decent install of 10.10.1 . I'm a bit unsure if things are working at 100% or not but I have QE/CI, Sound, a stable UEFI boot screen, volume and brightness controls, and pretty sure I have PM working, Here's a shot of the results of the AppleIntelPowerManagementInfo terminal output,

Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 9.43.02 PM.png
If someone could confirm that it is working correctly I would appreciate it. I'm also pretty sure that Speedstep is working but don't know how to capture that info, in Hardware Monitor app it ramps each core up by varying degrees depending on the load I throw at it, any info on that would be great as well.

I cannot confirm that any WIFI is working because I have not received the new card yet, still have the stock one in there and disabled in bios.

I've attached the Trouble Shooting Files for the Dev's or anyone else to look over if they wish to.

One note of particular importance for this build is the order in which the config.plist is ordered. I had a decent install that booted like a dream yesterday then borked it up but I had saved the info for later use. I installed today after grabbing the latest files from the guide and it would not boot, just a black screen. I compared the two config files and noticed that the order of the <key>'s in the newly generated config were all over the place such as injecting graphics before patching kexts and other things that were not making sense so I re-ordered the config similar to the one that worked well previously and `Viola, booted like a champ and works very well.

If anyone has any recommendations for system health and stability I would love to hear them. I hope my Sig contains all the required info, but I'll gladly supply more if needed.

Thanks for a great product here folks, and yes it did take reading the guide the first 4 times and the second 10 times and then some before it came out right so don't give up hope if you are having trouble.

BR,
Duane

Congratulate! I appreciate your patience of reading the guide and especially the attemp to fix your laptop yourself. I added 8x60w from only one feedback so I wasn't sure if it works for others.

to check your speedstep, you can use DPCI Manager and click Pstates. But based on your image, your speedstep is ok.

for wifi, check the compatible in my guide, I believe that 8x60w has the same whitelisted BIOS as 8x60p, so only one card is available for your laptop.

Can you post the non-working config.plist, and the perfect-working config.plist?

The position of Graphics and Kext patching in config.plist is not important.

I wish I could do that for you, but I cleaned up a mess of crap and got rid of everything that wasn't working. Now that this is pretty stable is it a good idea to turn kext-dev-mode to 0 or do the kexts get patched each time OSX starts? I ask because historically i just start thinking thing are good and then Poof!- all messed up! Really would like to keep this install as good and stable as possible.
Thank you for the heads up regarding the WLAN Whitelist. I will check out the card carefully before I buy one.

I wish I could do that for you, but I cleaned up a mess of crap and got rid of everything that wasn't working. Now that this is pretty stable is it a good idea to turn kext-dev-mode to 0 or do the kexts get patched each time OSX starts? I ask because historically i just start thinking thing are good and then Poof!- all messed up! Really would like to keep this install as good and stable as possible.
Thank you for the heads up regarding the WLAN Whitelist. I will check out the card carefully before I buy one.

The config.plist you're posting in troubleshooting files is the one that generated by PBI CE right? Does it work?

If you turn kext-dev-mode=0, only kexts from Apple are allowed to load, the patched kexts in /S/L/E will not be loaded, why do you want to do that?

Yes that's the one left in EFI after all is said and done aside from the edits I made which were only re-ordering, and I may have removed the RT Variables section because it didn't contain anything but a single empty <key> or <index> (Can't remember exactly, but it was essentially empty).

I have no reason to want to change the kext-dev-mode flag other than the hopes to keep this running well, honestly I don't know what most of the things do and didn't know if that was a vulnerable point for system stability.

I really appreciate the feedback, and thanks again for your guidance.

Yes that's the one left in EFI after all is said and done aside from the edits I made which were only re-ordering, and I may have removed the RT Variables section because it didn't contain anything but a single empty <key> or <index> (Can't remember exactly, but it was essentially empty).

I have no reason to want to change the kext-dev-mode flag other than the hopes to keep this running well, honestly I don't know what most of the things do and didn't know if that was a vulnerable point for system stability.

All hacks require kext-dev-mode=1 due to lack of signed kexts ... Removing kext-dev-mode is a good way to break your system.

So, here is the difference compared to my guide:
- After running PBI CE, you have to open config.plist for re-ordering and removing the RT Variables section.

Anything else? The RTVariables should not appear in your config.plist, maybe a bug in PBI CE...

But the order of your config.plist is the same is the one generated by PBI CE. Graphics section is on top of the KextPatch. I don't see any re-ordering.

If you're free, can you do this:
- Booting from USB CLOVER, press F4 at Clover screen.
- Mount EFI partition, rename EFI folder to EFI2
- Run the latest PBI CE again, reboot.
- If you can't boot, boot from USB, post the new EFI folder.

Thanks!

Yes I'll do that. I'll post back in a bit.

Booted just fine. Had to do EXACTLY as guide points out to restore audio device, but otherwise no difference. HERE is the link to EFI folder. ( I forgot to zip it up, so its the raw folder on G-Drive)
I selected the same options as the last time and now it works and the EFI folder and files look exactly the same when compared.
Don't know what was going on, may have been one or two too many glasses of wine last time..:crazy:.. or just done it so many times I forgot which time required which steps?

Only one more question, I selected Elitebook Logos during the install of PBI CE, where are they, not in "About this Mac" or while booting. Do I have to do something special to enable them or is this a bug? Thought I read somewhere that they weren't working with 10.10, or 10.10.1 again, maybe just too much wine :crazy:

Thanks again bro, one thing for sure I have a few backups this time around, but seems much more stable than the YZ installs i had tried earlier.

BR
Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back