Contribute
Register

Elitebook 8460p and Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys Im back after a new motherboard.Here Im sending you a screenshot of it...Im ready!!! I'm looking for advice, I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.4 but I'm still booting on Safe mode (it doesn't go in normal boot at all it freezes in the apple screen.) and can't boot from the Hd just yet (What bootloader should I use?).The one on Multibeast or Hp Probook ?

I tried several things , several combinations of things , Installed Mountain Lion a million of times but only once I was able to use it as it suppose to be in this Hp Elitebook 8460p.If you have read my post you know I have tried a lot ,so here I go one more time trying to make it work.

I'd like some guide (mind you I used the clover technique it didn't work for me at all) so now either Im gonna go with HP Probook Installer 6.1.11 or Multibeast 5.5.5 which somehow it worked only once using both at the same time some stuff from Hp Probook and some from Multibeast but I don't remember exactly what I did.Any guide/advice will be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Are you following the sticky guide?

Yes I did ... this what I got so far.
1- I tried Hp Probook 6.1.11 restarted...the apple screen showed up and the spinning wheel showed up as well for a little while.After 8 seconds it looked like it was gonna show me the desktop...it blinked a couple of times and the screen went black that was it.I connected a external monitor VGA (mind you I don't have HDMI connection) nothing changed.
I couldn't get into safe mode neither after it.I had to re-install everything again.

So I went with Multibeast 5.5.5 checked everything I needed.(Some things didn't work anyway)
I restarted and the apple screen showed up and the spinning wheel showed up as well , after 40 seconds loading or so it showed me the desktop but... The USB 3.0, the sound , ethernet , Wifi Card Atheros (compatible with hackintosh, I swapped it) nor the video card is working.
But the laptop boots normally with a resolution of 1024x768 instead of 1366x768.
Regardless that almost nothing is working...this is a big step , the laptop boots with out the USB drive and gets into the desktop without being in safe mode.So now what should I do ? How to get these things to work ? Using Hp Probook 6.1.11 ? but only the kexts part ?
THANKS !

Yes I did ... this what I got so far.
1- I tried Hp Probook 6.1.11 restarted...the apple screen showed up and the spinning wheel showed up as well for a little while.After 8 seconds it looked like it was gonna show me the desktop...it blinked a couple of times and the screen went black that was it.I connected a external monitor VGA (mind you I don't have HDMI connection) nothing changed.
I couldn't get into safe mode neither after it.I had to re-install everything again.

So I went with Multibeast 5.5.5 checked everything I needed.(Some things didn't work anyway)
I restarted and the apple screen showed up and the spinning wheel showed up as well , after 40 seconds loading or so it showed me the desktop but... The USB 3.0, the sound , ethernet , Wifi Card Atheros (compatible with hackintosh, I swapped it) nor the video card is working.
But the laptop boots normally with a resolution of 1024x768 instead of 1366x768.
Regardless that almost nothing is working...this is a big step , the laptop boots with out the USB drive and gets into the desktop without being in safe mode.So now what should I do ? How to get these things to work ? Using Hp Probook 6.1.11 ? but only the kexts part ?
THANKS !

Current version of the ProBook Installer is NOT 6.1.11.
We don't use Multibeast with the Probooks...

I couldn't find the Hp Probook Installer 6.1.13 ? You are talking about.?
Could you give me a link for it ?
I know you guys recommend Hp Probook for my Elitebook which technically is not a Probook.
But for some reason Multibeast has been the only tool so far that let me get into the desktop without being in safe mode.I was able to make the sound , trackpad and keyboard work (manually with kexts) NO Q/E nor wifi yet.
I wish I knew what you know so I would be done with it by now.But is not the case.
I really appreciate your help anyway RehabMan because you seem to be the only one that is able to explain things and help me out.Everybody else is just passing by but really nobody knows how to install ML or Mavericks in a 8460p Elitebook otherwise there would be much more comments and ideas in this topic.
I've tried several "guides" but somehow they won't completly work for me.

I couldn't find the Hp Probook Installer 6.1.13 ? You are talking about.?
Could you give me a link for it ?
I know you guys recommend Hp Probook for my Elitebook which technically is not a Probook.
But for some reason Multibeast has been the only tool so far that let me get into the desktop without being in safe mode.I was able to make the sound , trackpad and keyboard work (manually with kexts) NO Q/E nor wifi yet.
I wish I knew what you know so I would be done with it by now.But is not the case.
I really appreciate your help anyway RehabMan because you seem to be the only one that is able to explain things and help me out.Everybody else is just passing by but really nobody knows how to install ML or Mavericks in a 8460p Elitebook otherwise there would be much more comments and ideas in this topic.
I've tried several "guides" but somehow they won't completly work for me.

The latest ProBook Installer is linked from one of the sticky posts at the top of this forum.

I can confirm, The EliteBook 8460p (with no discrete GPU) is very solid with the latest ProBook installer (6.1.13r3) and Mountain Lion.

Mavericks is still.. mehh. i use them for audio production so i'll be on ML for a while due to 3rd party bugs.

You have to make sure you build it as an 8x60 and select Sandy Bridge in the options. You also have to select the hi-res or low-res display based on your screen resolution. It shows my HD3000 as 512MB and works dual display with a display port adapter and/or docked in an HP dock. (the vga is a no-go as expected). you will also have to do the 4K drive fix if using chameleon and the IMessage fix. also swap out the internal wifi card.

I also have a couple of EliteBook 8470p and a 2560p along with my 8460p running rock solid. It is funny that they are much more reliable with OSX then widows on them.

The only issue i had was the USB3 did not work. I ran the universal USB from multibeast after i ran the ProBook Installer (I did this for the 8460p only). The battery meter was not working in the previous version, I believe it was fixed in the latest release.

Thanks johnm and RehabMan for reply to my problems.
I'm motivated now johnm for your comment I'll keep trying.
Here is what I just did...
RehabMan you pointed out that there was a newer Hp Probook Installer out.
So I downloaded it Hp Probook Installer 6.1.13r3.

Now to both of you this is what I did...
I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.4 from the get go (is the way I downloaded from apple.) ..Restarted and went back in on safe mode , Installed the 10.8.5 comboupdate...and Restarted one more time.

After the update I only was able to get back into 10.8.5 on safe mode with -x -f ... using -x by itself won't work anymore.
Once in the desktop I installed/checked everything the way the Guide tells you to do...I followed it to the T once I restart it (repairing permissions first.) It'll boot by itself with out the USB but as soon as the apple logo shows up I get a KP...Im showing you guys a screenshot of it.

*After trying Hp Probook Installer.... I tried to get into safe mode with -x ('cause I can't in normal mode.)it'll show the apple logo , load it a little bit and then when it seems is gonna show me the desktop it doesn't ...instead I get a black screen and that's it.

to Johnm Yes I made sure I built it as an 8x60 and checked Sandy Bridge as well.
in my case is low resolution ,checked as well.
My HD 3000 showed when I tried it with Multibeast 5.5.5 (while back) 64MB.Now I don't know with the Hp Probook Installer since I can't get into the desktop normally.
The Vga I really don't care about.
Now, what do you mean the 4K drive fix ?
I'm more then sure I didn't do this "fix"...Yes! Im using Chameleon r2377
I already swaped the wifi card for a Bradcom 4322x.

John, did you do something else other the what the guide tells you to do ?
What processor you have ? I5 or I7 ?
Thanks for boosting my spirit up with your comment I was losing hope already.
Any advice or how-to will be appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 174
Turn off VT and VT-d in the bios. also turn off wake on lan and wake from USB.

I have both I5 and I7 models hi res and low res screens. I am typing this from an I5 low-res. We use HP's and Lenovo's at work. I tend to try and hack all the models we have. (if i can only get the 8760w with the fire-pro card in it to work )

I'll see if i can get you some more info later.

When you say I have to do ..."4K drive fix" I thought it would be done for big HDs mine is only 250gb 7200 rpm.Plus I don't get the Boot error at all.The Laptop start normally with Chameleon I even see the apple logo and then it gives me the error I posted (in the pic).
How big is your HD ? 500 Gb ? 1 Tb ?

When you say I have to do ..."4K drive fix" I thought it would be done for big HDs mine is only 250gb 7200 rpm.Plus I don't get the Boot error at all.The Laptop start normally with Chameleon I even see the apple logo and then it gives me the error I posted (in the pic).
How big is your HD ? 500 Gb ? 1 Tb ?

I have only seen the 8460p with 320GB+ drives... No if you go that far, you don't need to do the 4K fix. sorry for the confusion there..

I'll try and post a bit more info tomorrow if i can..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back