Contribute
Register

Elite 8300 for video editing -- GFX Card needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trs96 i found a HP Elite 8300 Tower for 280 Euro's..
Do you think it's worth the price ?, it's almost maxed out:
8GB of Ram
i7-3770 CPU
2TB HDD Included

i will have to add a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 140 euro + Nvidia 1050 Ti around 140 euro so the overall price reaches almost 600 Euros.

@trs96 i found a HP Elite 8300 Tower for 280 Euro's..
Do you think it's worth the price ?, it's almost maxed out:
8GB of Ram
i7-3770 CPU
2TB HDD Included

i will have to add a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 140 euro + Nvidia 1050 Ti around 140 euro so the overall price reaches almost 600 Euros.
It's not bad for price but I would shop around some more. You can usually get a lower price if you buy one with 4GB of ram and a 160 or 250 GB HDD. That might save you a hundred Euros. Then just replace those with your own 1 TB drive and ram kit. Sometimes you can even find a barebones one in good shape and install your own CPU and ram to save money.

I have seen a ton of these hitting the market for under $200 sometimes $150. I am debating getting one verses doing a MB/CPU/Ram bare bones upgrade with a i5-7600. @trs96, any opinions?

It's not bad for price but I would shop around some more. You can usually get a lower price if you buy one with 4GB of ram and a 160 or 250 GB HDD. That might save you a hundred Euros. Then just replace those with your own 1 TB drive and ram kit. Sometimes you can even find a barebones one in good shape and install your own CPU and ram to save money.
i would like to find one without HDD/SSD and without ram, that would be the best thing for me.
i get 16GB of ram for free from a friend, i will buy my own SSD and i got an idea to search for people selling mining rigs and buy a used 1050 Ti for a lower price that way if i can find one who sells parts separately.

I have seen a ton of these hitting the market for under $200 sometimes $150. I am debating getting one verses doing a MB/CPU/Ram bare bones upgrade with a i5-7600. @trs96, any opinions?
It depends on what you would use it for. If it's mostly gaming, the 8300 with an I5-3470 is the better choice. It performs almost equally in games to a new I5-7500 CPU. If you are doing things like video and photo editing it's better to go with the newer kaby lake based system.

i would like to find one without HDD/SSD and without ram, that would be the best thing for me.
i get 16GB of ram for free from a friend, i will buy my own SSD and i got an idea to search for people selling mining rigs and buy a used 1050 Ti for a lower price that way if i can find one who sells parts separately.
It's taking a chance buying a used graphics card from a mining rig. Don't know if the warranty would transfer over to you when you buy it. The ram needs to be DDR3-1600 to work with these. Nothing too fast or exotic.

look at the companies that are selling the refirbs and contact and ask if they have any without HD/RAM, most of those places are buying pallets full of them and piecing them together. They might have something.

Just read this thread with interest. Have an HP 8300 and looking to upgrade from the HD4000 in order to use Davinci Resolve (or perhaps FCPX). @PDE - how did you get on with the 1050 Ti?

Apologies for the delay... just saw this. Haven't had to use Davinci yet but Running AfterEffects and Premiere fairly well. I did little work in Resolve and it seemed to be running totally fine. Not breaking speed records but gets the job done--can't report too fully but I haven't run into any substantial issues except one weird legacy rendering thing in AE where you have to switch the 3D rendering to a newer (C4D) based renderer or you get all these weird errors.

Thanks. Do you also use Final Cut Pro X as well?

I do not, because I have rarely if ever had the need--have a project coming up in Avid though, so I'll report back on that.

If and when I have to do something in FCPX I'll let you know as well, but I doubt that will ever happen as most everyone in the professional environment avoids it like the plague.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back