Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hi folks

Just had 3 days of hell trying to install El Capitan on my machine

Now I've had this rig running for a number of years with Chimera and Mavericks no problems but software updates dictated I upgrade to El Capitan so I did DOH

Now, the install runs fine all the way not a problem anywhere until the final restart which gets to the loading operating system screen and then just stays black forever!

I'm running a Gigabyte Z68XP board with i7 chip and Nvidia GeForce 8400GS, which under Mavericks ran perfect after messing with drivers and the kernels etc

So I've tried every option in fact this is the 34th install in 3 days and still nothing

Now I can boot if I have the USB key in and F12 choose my USB HDD and then when clover appears select my El Capitan internal drive, all boots fine and appears to work, but will not do it from start up without this method.
I have gone through all possible options that I have found in here except 1 which involves the apple package maker which I can no longer find anywhere ..
So not sure if it's still a graphics problem or a boot header problem but either way I can't get any further

Any advice tips would be most welcome cause I think I maybe completely Bald soon if this dosn't get sorted

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil, Same problem here. I dicided yesterday to update my MB to the latest fimware. Check this video So I have to start from scratch (all my systemdisks won't boot anymore including Maverick). I've been having te exact same booting problem. I will keep you posted (now installing Capitan with different problems to solve on te way) I'm following this post now.

Hi Phil, Same problem here. I dicided yesterday to update my MB to the latest fimware. Check this video So I have to start from scratch (all my systemdisks won't boot anymore including Maverick). I've been having te exact same booting problem. I will keep you posted (now installing Capitan with different problems to solve on te way) I'm following this post now.
thanks mate, I'll check the video out now, let me know how you get on ?
I'm sure it's sortable it's just how that's alluding us at the moment

Thanks again
P

Hi Phil,

Did the work! Hopefully it will save you your hair. Mine is grey now. But it works!! :)

Install El Capitan on Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P

System
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD36
Processor: SandyBridge Core i7 2600K
RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600
Video: NVIDIA GT9800
Samsung EVO 128Gb SSD

Follow the basic installation guide bij Tonymac for installing El Capitan.
I will only walk you through the necessary additions and choices for this particular configuration.

Step 1 : Format your USB stick with a Master Boot Record with Disk utility (I used a 32GB stick because my 8GB was to small according to Unibeast).
Create your bootdisk using Unibeast for El capitan (6.2.0) and choose UEFI Boot mode and inject Nvidia Graphics.
Mount the EFI partition* of the USB disk and open the config.plist with clover configurator (vibrant for MacOS X 10.11.x)
(It’s located in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist)
and choose the following settings ;

In the screen boot - npci=0x2000, dart=0, darkwake, nvda_drv=1
In the screen SMBIOS click on the magic want and choose the iMac and then model 13,1
Save the config.plist

You wil probably not be able to start up your old systems anymore after step 2. So make sure you have everything ready or
another working computer!…

Step 2 : Upgrade your BIOS to de UEFI U1L version. Because then you can mount UEFI partitions and it really speeds up your computer startuptime.
A good instruction video on how to do this.
You can find the Gigabyte UEFI driver here (check your rev.!!)

Step 3 : After completing the upgrade, start up your computer and enter the BIOS and set the optimized defaults, and your hard drive to AHCI mode, disable your USB 3.0 controllers, disable IO controller, set your XMP to profile1. The rest of the setting are correct.

Step 4 : Install El Capitan (see guide Tonymac)
After finishing the install you need to install the following software. (you can find them all at tonymac)
Clover v2 (3370) (just run it)
customer essentials (just run it)
audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0r.command (run it with the EFI partition* of the target harddisk mounted)
Clover configurator vibrant for MacOS X 10.11.x (run it with the EFI partition* of the target harddisk mounted) open config.plist (It’s located in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist)

In the screen acpi - fixHPET,addDTGP, fixHDA, fixUSB, fixPIC
In the screen Kernel an bkext patches - KernelPM, Apple RTC, Asus AICPUPM
In the screen SMBIOS click on the magic want and choose the iMac and then model 13,1
Save the config.plist

* Open clover configurator. Use tool “Mount EFI” and click check partition. Look for the number of the disk you need.
Now “mount EFI” and choose the corresponding number. The EFI partition of the new system disk or your USB bootstick
will be mounted on your desktop and the config.plist you want to edit is available now.

Now you can restart and mount your El Capitan System. Good Luck!

Everything works fine for me except the USB 3.0 ports. I will try to find a solution for this as well!

Hi Phil,

Did the work! Hopefully it will save you your hair. Mine is grey now. But it works!! :)

Install El Capitan on Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P

System
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD36
Processor: SandyBridge Core i7 2600K
RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600
Video: NVIDIA GT9800
Samsung EVO 128Gb SSD

Follow the basic installation guide bij Tonymac for installing El Capitan.
I will only walk you through the necessary additions and choices for this particular configuration.

Step 1 : Format your USB stick with a Master Boot Record with Disk utility (I used a 32GB stick because my 8GB was to small according to Unibeast).
Create your bootdisk using Unibeast for El capitan (6.2.0) and choose UEFI Boot mode and inject Nvidia Graphics.
Mount the EFI partition* of the USB disk and open the config.plist with clover configurator (vibrant for MacOS X 10.11.x)
(It’s located in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist)

Save the config.plist

You wil probably not be able to start up your old systems anymore after step 2. So make sure you have everything ready or
another working computer!…

Step 2 : Upgrade your BIOS to de UEFI U1L version. Because then you can mount UEFI partitions and it really speeds up your computer startuptime.
A good instruction video on how to do this.
You can find the Gigabyte UEFI driver here (check your rev.!!)

Step 3 : After completing the upgrade, start up your computer and enter the BIOS and set the optimized defaults, and your hard drive to AHCI mode, disable your USB 3.0 controllers, disable IO controller, set your XMP to profile1. The rest of the setting are correct.

Step 4 : Install El Capitan (see guide Tonymac)
After finishing the install you need to install the following software. (you can find them all at tonymac)
Clover v2 (3370) (just run it)
customer essentials (just run it)
audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0r.command (run it with the EFI partition* of the target harddisk mounted)
Clover configurator vibrant for MacOS X 10.11.x (run it with the EFI partition* of the target harddisk mounted) open config.plist (It’s located in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist)

In the screen acpi - fixHPET,addDTGP, fixHDA, fixUSB, fixPIC
In the screen Kernel an bkext patches - KernelPM, Apple RTC, Asus AICPUPM
Save the config.plist

* Open clover configurator. Use tool “Mount EFI” and click check partition. Look for the number of the disk you need.
Now “mount EFI” and choose the corresponding number. The EFI partition of the new system disk or your USB bootstick
will be mounted on your desktop and the config.plist you want to edit is available now.

Now you can restart and mount your El Capitan System. Good Luck!

Everything works fine for me except the USB 3.0 ports. I will try to find a solution for this as well!

You don't need nvda_drv=1 for the 8900 card works with just Inject nvidia set to true.

You don't need nvda_drv=1 for the 8900 card works with just Inject nvidia set to true

I guess you mean the 9800 card? Inject Nvidia in Unibeast didn't do the job.
The booting of the USB stick stopped every time until I changed it with Clover Configurator
and added nada_drv=1. Is there a good reason to change it anyway. I would hate to mess up my system again...

I guess you mean the 9800 card? Inject Nvidia in Unibeast didn't do the job.
The booting of the USB stick stopped every time until I changed it with Clover Configurator
and added nada_drv=1. Is there a good reason to change it anyway. I would hate to mess up my system again...

It would do. Your card requires (Nvidia Injection). nvda_drv=1 is only needed for Nvidia Webdrivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back