Graphics
GTX760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've had El Capitan and Windows 10 working for a few months now on Skylake CPU, and seemingly out of nowhere I've begun to encounter a strange issue that prevents me from using either OS.

After booting into either OS, everything start to slow to a crawl within a minute or two. After it hits a certain point, the computer abruptly shuts down. After this slowness begins after logging in, it will begin to happen during start up as well.

When going into Activity Monitor or Task Manager, I can't find a problematic process. It seems the CPU is at 100% usage constantly, and this is the root of the problem (I imagine), but it isn't clear what is slowing things down. I've tried to boot into Safe Mode and run antivirus, but usually the computer shuts down before I can get there.

At this point, I'm pretty baffled. I'm going to disconnect my drives one by one to try and pinpoint a virus (if that's what it is), but other than that, I'm not sure of a solution.

Any ideas?

I've had El Capitan and Windows 10 working for a few months now on Skylake CPU, and seemingly out of nowhere I've begun to encounter a strange issue that prevents me from using either OS.

After booting into either OS, everything start to slow to a crawl within a minute or two. After it hits a certain point, the computer abruptly shuts down. After this slowness begins after logging in, it will begin to happen during start up as well.

When going into Activity Monitor or Task Manager, I can't find a problematic process. It seems the CPU is at 100% usage constantly, and this is the root of the problem (I imagine), but it isn't clear what is slowing things down. I've tried to boot into Safe Mode and run antivirus, but usually the computer shuts down before I can get there.

At this point, I'm pretty baffled. I'm going to disconnect my drives one by one to try and pinpoint a virus (if that's what it is), but other than that, I'm not sure of a solution.

Any ideas?

Could be a thermal problem - Power on and look at your temps in the BIOS screen.

CPU temperature rising by 1C practically per second - stopped at 100C!!!

This would make sense with the slowness increasing the longer the computer would run - why do you think this is happening? Is it something wrong with the CPU, motherboard?

CPU temperature rising by 1C practically per second - stopped at 100C!!!

This would make sense with the slowness increasing the longer the computer would run - why do you think this is happening? Is it something wrong with the CPU, motherboard?

Probably the thermal paste between your CPU and the CPU fan or the CPU fan is not connected / turning.

Holy moly - the paste seems to have worn through, and the fan fell right off. I should've checked inside the box right away, thank you for the insight!

I guess it's time to buy some thermal paste!

EDIT: For future reference, was I at risk of destroying my CPU via overheating? It seemed to save itself and shut down before damage was done, but it is still frightening to know it was getting so hot.

Good question. I've been OC'ing since the late 80's, and as would be expected, have had various issues which resulted in over heating CPUs. They auto-shutdown to prevent damage.

Mine have always booted right backup/performed well, after solving the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back