Contribute
Register

El Capitan....Why the different scaled display choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (F22g)
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Can someone explain why I don't have the same choices as image 1 (top) from my friends computer? Mine is image 2 (bottom). Specifically why I don't have the larger text options. Granted, he's running a different graphics card GTX 960 and I'm running the Intel HD 530, but I swear I had the top display choices with another monitor I was auditioning with the same 530. As you can see we are both using the same monitor. Appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 10.28.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 10.29.42 AM.png

Did you connect your monitor with DisplayPort? Are you using the same SMBIOS?

If OS X refuses you to enable the HiDPI scaling options, you should be able to enable them manually:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

This will enable the HiDPI mode. You might still not get the scaling options in the pref pane, but you should be able to choose HiDPI resolutions (which do exactly the same).

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the HDMI port. We are both using the same SMBIOS which is iMac 17,1. What's confusing to me is that I do remember having the LG 27UD68-P monitor connected to this same setup and got the Larger Text options. That was also connected to the same HDMI port. I issued your command but see no change.

Last edited:
I did a restart with no difference. When I set it up for 3840 X 2160 it shows 30 Hertz as the highest refresh rate choice I have which is correct for the specs of the PB287Q (just looked it up). Only the display port shows it's capable of 60Hz at that resolution.
Update: That explains it. Just looked at the LG's specs it support 60Hz on the HDMI at 3840 X 2160 whereas the Asus doesn't, that's only on the display port. Mystery solved. I will assume that when I get an external video card with display port I will get those Text Size options back? Thanks for your help! :)

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 1.23.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Just consulted the manual. It looks like you're right, I just need to get a Thunderbolt to Display Port adapter. As I'm sure is obvious, some of this stuff is new to me. Thanks, again for bringing it to my attention. :)

Last edited:
As suspected here is the display choices now via the USB 3.1-C to Displayport Adapter implemented.

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 11.00.09 AM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back