Contribute
Register

El capitan USB issues - possible fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Owner of Asus Z97i-plus here currently running 10.11.1. Since update to 10.11 ive tried several fixes from this thread, unfortunately i still cannot get USB3.
Give or take all ports seem to work, but no USB3-capable devices are ever detected. So both USB2 or USB3 ports are working fine with USB2 devices, but when i plug in USB3 device in any port system doesnt detect it at all, not even in USB2 mode.
How should i troubleshoot that?
At the moment all USB related options are turned off in Clover except EHC01/2 patch (but tried several Injection/ownership combinations too) and XHCI is set to smart auto in bios.

The OP's procedures worked for me on a GA-Z97-D3H :) I originally had USB2 devices showing up under USB3 in 'system report' and none of the rear panel USB3 ports worked. Only 1 port from each of the 2 x USB2 and 2x USB3 headers worked to case front panel.

My brain ached a bit trying to understand what was going, I really need a 'FOR DUMMIES' guide, as my 2 previous HToshes were more straightforward and 'DSDT free'. I still don't fully understand what is going on, but tinkered my way through.

'You will be patching your DSDT via clover,
Save your config.plist and reboot your hack.'

'First open clover configurator and mount your EFI partition, open your config.plist'

Opening Clover configurator and mounting EFI needs to be done manually using the 3 buttons at bottom, 'mount EFI' then 'open' at bottom, then browse for config.plist through folders via the finder window

'RehabMan's version of MaciASL - https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-...atic/downloads '

There are 3 versions on there now, I used the 2015 one.

it doesn't compile as there is a bracket missing, Rehab man has posted the correct code deeper in this thread.

"copy the below into the MaciASL window"
Code:
DefinitionBlock ("SSDT-XOSI.aml", "SSDT", 1, "hack", "hack", 0x00003000)
{...............

I took "below" literally and copied in 'code;' you start copying at - DefinitionBlock

You need to determine which ports are actually active on your system
Hi Matt. For clarity, which ports are you sing on your Z97-D3H? all 4 back panel USB3.0 ports? the 2 back panel USB2.0 ports? the 2 internal front USB3.0 headers? all 6 internal front USB2.0 headers?

I have all (but one front USB3.0 header) USB ports connected (only 3 ports being actively used though), but only the one front USB3.0 works and everything else is USB2.0. I have confirmed that I have hit the 15 USB limit and being that you have the same motherboard as myself, I am hoping your USB3.0 port injectors will save need of purchasing a USB3.0 PCI card (which I suspect wouldn't work being that El Capitan 15 limit has already been hit).

By the way, if removing connected USB headers after installation (to reduce the connected USB ports), is there a way to have El Capitan re-check the USB ports and see that I have less than 15 USB connected? or is that going to require a re-installation?

Hi Matt. For clarity, which ports are you sing on your Z97-D3H? all 4 back panel USB3.0 ports? the 2 back panel USB2.0 ports? the 2 internal front USB3.0 headers? all 6 internal front USB2.0 headers?

I have all (but one front USB3.0 header) USBs connected (only 3 ports being actively used though), but only the one front USB3.0 works (everything else is USB2.0). I have confirmed that I have hit the 15 USB limit and being that you have the same motherboard as myself, I am hoping your USB3.0 port injectors will save need of purchasing a USB3.0 PCI card (which I suspect wouldn't work being that El Capitan 15 limit has already been hit).

By the way, if removing connected USB headers after installation (to reduce the connected USB ports), is there a way to have El Capitan re-check the USB ports? or is that going to require a re-installation?

All of of my ports work as they should. I'll upload my injector when I get in from work later.

Matt

All of of my ports work as they should
Thanks for replying Matt. By that I assume you have all internal USB headers connected then? If so, I am going to need an additional USB3.0 front connector as I only have one USB3.0 header connected of the two available.

Thanks for replying Matt. By that I assume you have all internal USB headers connected then? If so, I am going to need an additional USB3.0 front connector as I only have one USB3.0 header connected of the two available.

My injector is attached to the first post.

Not all the headers have something attached but they work when they have something attached to them.

Matt

I believe the GenericUsbXHCI.kext may be working again in El Capitan Version 10.11.2 from what I have been reading. I also read there working on some fixes and compiling a newer version. I also read port restriction will no longer matter once the new version is complete, some modification with increasing the number of the IOProbeScore from 1000 to 2000 and by doing this, the Generic kext will load instead of AppleUsbXHCI.kext, and since the AppleUsbXHCI.kext will not load the port restriction kext, AppleUSBXHCIPCI will not load as well . This is the greatest news yet to say the least!!

I have seen reports the Via chips are working again but not sure about ASMedia1024? I will be trying later this afternoon.

I can't post any links just do a google search you will find the thread on this.

I also read there working on some fixes and compiling a newer version.

That explains why my previous unibeast 10.11.1 installtion required post-installation fixes to get ethernet working, but today's unibeast 10.11.2 installation had it working out of the box. USB is still the same out of the box mess though.

My injector is attached to the first post.

I messed up. Lost all USB support, so couldn't log in when I restarted ... I forgot to setup remote access too, so have had to re-install all over again (because I had no way to revert to the EFI backup I had). Damn me for not being happy with one USB3.0 port.

Recommend to anyone trying to get USB working on an otherwise-working hackintosh: setup remote access before doing anything.

Additionally, make use of Time Machine to recover like I did using the following guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...st-solutions-el-capitan-install-problems.html

Not sure I want to mess with the USB kexts again for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back