Contribute
Register

El Capitan stopped booting after FileVault turned 'ON' and restart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7 4770k
Graphics
Nvidia Geforce GTX760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
i had successfully installed OS X El capitan on my Hack yesterday. Was going through my System Preferences in the morning today, and turned the FileVault ON and the system asked for a reboot.

I haven't been able to log into my system since then. Upon a fresh start, both the main disk as well as recovery disk, load the OS halfway with the apple logo, then shows a glitch, the loading bar disappears and the logo turns into a STOP/TERMINATED Sign with a circle and a slash through it.

i have tried to reboot a 1000 times now but to no good. So, i gave up and tried to start a fresh/clean OS Install with my El capitan Install pen drive ( i made with unibeast) and even that seems to be not working. the loading get's completed but this time the system freezes on a completely white screen (once with the cursor and the other times without)- there is no progress beyond this and i am literally locked out of my Mackintosh.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! URGENT! My work is literally stuck in the middle-no other way to resume and i have deadlines to meet

i had successfully installed OS X El capitan on my Hack yesterday. Was going through my System Preferences in the morning today, and turned the FileVault ON and the system asked for a reboot.

I haven't been able to log into my system since then. Upon a fresh start, both the main disk as well as recovery disk, load the OS halfway with the apple logo, then shows a glitch, the loading bar disappears and the logo turns into a STOP/TERMINATED Sign with a circle and a slash through it.

i have tried to reboot a 1000 times now but to no good. So, i gave up and tried to start a fresh/clean OS Install with my El capitan Install pen drive ( i made with unibeast) and even that seems to be not working. the loading get's completed but this time the system freezes on a completely white screen (once with the cursor and the other times without)- there is no progress beyond this and i am literally locked out of my Mackintosh.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! URGENT! My work is literally stuck in the middle-no other way to resume and i have deadlines to meet

File Vault does not work on the boot drive with PC-Macs. You can FV a storage drive, but not the boot drive. Suggest you re-install.

Install with my El capitan Install pen drive ( i made with unibeast) and even that seems to be not working. the loading get's completed but this time the system freezes on a completely white screen (once with the cursor and the other times without)- there is no progress beyond this and i am literally locked out of my Mackintosh.

Often a freeze on a white screen indicates that FakeSMC is not loading.

Since UniBeast is pretty good about creating an install drive with FakeSMC, there are two possibilities:
  1. You messed with the EFI partition on the USB install drive. In this case, recreate it with UniBeast.
  2. You're booting from the hard drive, even though you have attached the USB install drive to the computer. You still get a Clover menu but the hard drive EFI partition doesn't have FakeSMC because MultiBeast installed it to /L/E instead. Therefore, when you boot, use your BIOS hotkey to select a boot device, and select UEFI:YourUSBDrive from the menu. Then you should get a Clover menu where you can select Boot Mac OS X from [USB] and it should work.

Often a freeze on a white screen indicates that FakeSMC is not loading.

Since UniBeast is pretty good about creating an install drive with FakeSMC, there are two possibilities:
  1. You messed with the EFI partition on the USB install drive. In this case, recreate it with UniBeast.
  2. You're booting from the hard drive, even though you have attached the USB install drive to the computer. You still get a Clover menu but the hard drive EFI partition doesn't have FakeSMC because MultiBeast installed it to /L/E instead. Therefore, when you boot, use your BIOS hotkey to select a boot device, and select UEFI:YourUSBDrive from the menu. Then you should get a Clover menu where you can select Boot Mac OS X from [USB] and it should work.

Thank you soo very much man- truly grateful to both 'ammulder' as well as 'Going Bald' I was eventually able to do a clean install again. Finally, everything is working all perfect now!

I made the same mistake on my NUC. Anyway to fix this without losing all of the valuable info on my computer?

File Vault does not work on the boot drive with PC-Macs. You can FV a storage drive, but not the boot drive. Suggest you re-install.

I have corporate policy being pushed to me that forces File Vault to be enabled. I believe this is via the Casper suite and the ManagedClient.app. Is there any way to make FileVault work with a Hackintosh? Or am I just stuck living off the corporate network, which really defeats the purpose of my build?

I have corporate policy being pushed to me that forces File Vault to be enabled. I believe this is via the Casper suite and the ManagedClient.app. Is there any way to make FileVault work with a Hackintosh? Or am I just stuck living off the corporate network, which really defeats the purpose of my build?
Do like I do: Have the coorporate drive that is encrypted and your personal drive and use one of these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2PNOOM/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 - to swap them out as needed.
They come in lots of different configurations so whatever your need there is probably one to fit it.

I shelved this idea a while ago and am just coming back to it. How does a hot swappable drive help me? When I get on the corporate VPN I am immediately prompted to enable File Vault on my boot drive. After I click OK, it tried to reboot and all I can do is a full re-install at that point. I am not sure when I would swap drives?

Any idea if booting off of a flash drive would solve my issues?

What is the missing magic that exists in Apple Macs vs. Hacks that prevents boot drives from working with File Vault?

Thanks again, I always get useful information here, even if it is not always the answer I wanted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back