Contribute
Register

El capitan or Sierra for best stability on a cheap i3 6100 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello: First of all thanks for this great forum and community, im from Chile (latinamerica) and in need to assemble a basic system for a friend, the main use will be web-browsing, excel, watching full hd movies online and using autocad on windows in the same machine. I have done my research but i have some questions so if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. Here is the hardware im thinking on buying.

Intel skylake I3 6100
Asus H170M-plus/CSM or MSI Z170M MORTAR
8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS8G4D240FSA (planing on adding a second module in the future)
Crucial MX300 275GB

And here's the things i would like to ask...

So im on a tight budget and i would prefer not to buy a graphic card, for this it would be better in terms of stability to install Sierra or El Capitan?

Its possible to have two monitors with the integrated graphics? (one at 1080p and the other in 720p)

Can i use a cheaper 120GB SSD to save some money for a 1TB western digital caviar blue? if so the brand/model its important for stability?

I hope someone can take the time to help me out, thanks in advance, cheers

PS: sorry if there's any misspelling

I hope your friend isn't serious about Autocad on your proposed build. An I3 with 8GB of ram would not be a great experience with that software on your hardware. I would install El Capitan first and then update to Sierra later on at the .3 or later update.
You can run two monitors off of the HD530 graphics.

I hope your friend isn't serious about Autocad on your proposed build. An I3 with 8GB of ram would not be a great experience with that software on your hardware. I would install El Capitan first and then update to Sierra later on at the .3 or later update.

For Autocad its not the CPU that will be the problem. Autocad requires a decent graphics card my dad is using a CNC machine which he uses Autocad to do the drawings he's using a old Core 2 Quad machine which i built with a Nvidia 750Ti which works fine. Although i doubt that HD 530 will be enough for drawing inside Autocad.

Thanks for your reply, i know that is not a great system but here the components prices here are around 50% more so its the only thing we can afford, at least there's room to improve in the future on a better processor, ram, graphic, etc... a new 2012/2013 macbook running osx lion would cost around a thousand USD so this is a much better solution. My main concern in this moment is stability, i saw that you have 3 systems and two of them uses integrated graphics, have you found any graphic issues on those machines?

BTW i think im going for El Capitan as you said, cheers

For Autocad its not the CPU that will be the problem. Autocad requires a decent graphics card my dad is using a CNC machine which he uses Autocad to do the drawings he's using a old Core 2 Quad machine which i built with a Nvidia 750Ti which works fine. Although i doubt that HD 530 will be enough for drawing inside Autocad.

Thanks for your insight, the autocad thing is just an extra at this moment, by now he just wants to have a mac for basic home use and excel, later we can upgrade to a dedicated graphic card to have a decent autocad experience, i think its going to be an improvement once we have a graphic card since tha last machine he use had an old core duo and it was fine for him. What do you think about using other SSD than the recomended ones? its this going to be an issue in terms of stability? i know processor, MOBO and ram are crucial but im not so sure about storage, any thoughts on that? please let me know, cheers

Hey, what version of AutoCAD are you using?

LOL. I've used Autocad since version 2.6 on DOS 3.2, and in the mid 90s, on Pentium 100Mhz computers, 200Mhz, Pentium II, etc back then with a whopping 4MB of RAM... or 8MB of RAM if you got one of the top-end machines in the office.

I've kept a copy of an old AutoCad Release 14 and it runs just fine in a Windows Virtual Machine under OSX.

Parallels_Picture.png

Hey, what version of AutoCAD are you using?

LOL. I've used Autocad since version 2.6 on DOS 3.2, and in the mid 90s, on Pentium 100Mhz computers, 200Mhz, Pentium II, etc back then with a whopping 4MB of RAM... or 8MB of RAM if you got one of the top-end machines in the office.

I've kept a copy of an old AutoCad Release 14 and it runs just fine in a Windows Virtual Machine under OSX.

Parallels_Picture.png

I will have to ask to my friend,i don't know which version he uses.... I share your opinion, if people used to run autocad on older computers with little processing power why couldn't we use it with modern machines?, of course im not talking about 3d rendering but at least basic use and drawing. Using a Virtual machine its a great idea BTW, cheers

Thanks for your reply, i know that is not a great system but here the components prices here are around 50% more so its the only thing we can afford, at least there's room to improve in the future on a better processor, ram, graphic, etc... a new 2012/2013 macbook running osx lion would cost around a thousand USD so this is a much better solution. My main concern in this moment is stability, i saw that you have 3 systems and two of them uses integrated graphics, have you found any graphic issues on those machines?

BTW i think im going for El Capitan as you said, cheers
Yes, the igfx have always worked fine for me. I don't have a newer Skylake system though.
For what you want to do the I3 build should work well. Best of luck on the build.

Thanks for your insight, the autocad thing is just an extra at this moment, by now he just wants to have a mac for basic home use and excel, later we can upgrade to a dedicated graphic card to have a decent autocad experience, i think its going to be an improvement once we have a graphic card since tha last machine he use had an old core duo and it was fine for him. What do you think about using other SSD than the recomended ones? its this going to be an issue in terms of stability? i know processor, MOBO and ram are crucial but im not so sure about storage, any thoughts on that? please let me know, cheers

I can remember back in 2012 my father was using a old 8800GTS 320mb which ran AutoCad just fine. Are you going to be using AutoCad in OS X, macOS?

Yes, the igfx have always worked fine for me. I don't have a newer Skylake system though.
For what you want to do the I3 build should work well. Best of luck on the build.

Thanks for taking your time to reply, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back