Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Intel 530 (onboard)
Hi all,

Recently my trusty old z87x platform finally ground to a halt. It was my second hackintosh, ran for years without the slightest trouble. Like my other z87x install, set-up was a breeze, save a few minor tweaks needed. So, facing the need for a new workstation, I did not even consider getting a mac pro. Instead, I figured I would just piece together a new hack. My set-up is simple:

- GB z170x ud5 th
- i7 6700
- 16 gb ballistic ram
- Samsung evo 850 sed

All on the compatible and recommended lists, nothing seemingly exciting.

Pulled the new OS X from the app store, it is El Capitan 10.11.5
Downloaded the latest versions of unibeast and multbeast

So far so good.

No trouble creating my bootable usb using unibeast. However this is where things get tricky. My new system won't boot from the disk. Searching the forum and reading other posts, I found that it can help to have "usb ownership" ticked. But this doesn't solve the problem.

Next, I did the following:
- boot into USB
- select "usb owner", add commands -x and -v
- Try booting again, with success (in safe mode)
- Install OSX to the hd after formatting it again for good measure from the installer

Reboot from USB, select HD, but nothing, just hangs or restarts and returns a black screen. So I rebooted from the USB, entered -x -v and he usb owner, selected the HD and the OSX loads.

Now I tried multibeast and clover, but neither will work, returning an error message.

Looked around as there are a few similar builds, but have not found a solution. Any help welcome! I'm not a computer whizz, but am comfortable playing around and sorting some stuff out. Would like to work it out over the weekend as I need a workstation.

Thanks!

I have basically the same components as you. What graphics card are you using? Or are you using the built in Intel 530?

I followed this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...intel-hd-530-integrated-gfx-dual-boot.191292/

The only difference for me was that I have a Nvidia graphics card and my SSD is an M.2, so slightly different from Jerivalu, but his basic guide should help you get going.

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for that, I'll have another look! Not using any card, just running the intel 530. Figured I would keep any extras down to a minimum to have the best chance at getting the rig running. Will add graphics later. For now my priority is to have something up and running, hopefully before business on Monday. Otherwise I'll be on my macbook air. Not ideal, but it'll keep the lights on. Will keep you posted!

Thanks again.

Good luck! Everything went great for me except getting my graphics card working. The basic setup of installing with Unibeast and then doing the post-install with Multibeast went like clockwork.

Good luck! Everything went great for me except getting my graphics card working. The basic setup of installing with Unibeast and then doing the post-install with Multibeast went like clockwork.

Well, fingers crossed... I've not flashed the bios, don't know how to, but matched the settings provided and the boot from USB got to the installer after a bit of a wait. I've now installed to the HD and that went fine too. Ran multibeast and did the recommended build, which now also worked. So... I was almost jumping for joy. Until I tried to shut down, which seemed to take very long. Still it did so after a few minutes, but it also automatically rebooted right away. After which it went straight to the screen with the message requesting a reboot and proper boot device to be inserted. More tinkering I guess, no idea where to go from here. Suggestions welcome!

I'm thinking it might be mandatory to update your bios to F5 to support the Skylake CPU. Not sure about that, but I would definitely up to F5 if it were me. It's not hard. You just have to download the file from Gigabyte's site, put it on a USB flash drive, then boot into BIOS and run the update from there. Instructions are on Gigabyte's site.

Hmm, I'm not that well-versed in the nitty gritty tech side of things. I did get a system report while in OSX and it display the CPU, RAM, etc correctly. Not sure whether that means anything. Anyway, I'm now updating the bios to F5 in Q-Flash, so far so good. Will keep you posted on how things go.

It works! Sort of... Well, here's where I am now. I've updated the bios to F5, after which I still had boot issues. Than I decided to boot into my usb. Hit f12, four drives now showed up. None of which was mu USB. Instead, they were four partitions of my SSD (which has only one single partition). Upon trying, one of these seems to contain the clover bootloader. I selected it and hit boot. And... It worked. Upon reboot, however, more trouble. So I started from the clover partition on my SSD and in OSX manually set start-up disk to my ssd (which is the only volume available). From here I rebooted. This time, it works! Not sure what the start-up disk selection does, but I had a similar situation with my first build and that solved it.

Anyway, now seeing what works and what doesn't. So far, my pci network adapter was just plug and play and my hack is online!
What did not work is the App Store. It seems to be a problem related to the serial generated by multibeast. I downloaded cloverconfigurator and looked up the serial. Than, I got opportunistic, searched the classifieds (eBay is a good source...) for someone selling a similar system and posting their serial. Too about two minutes to find an actual serial. It's an i5 config, but apparently close enough. Updated the plist and rebooted. Than did a calculation in rt variables (upon confirming the serial was replaced by the one I got online) and pasted the rom and mlb values. Saved, rebooted and voila, app store works just fine now!

No Thunderbolt ports in system view, suppose that will have to wait till apple releases the first thunderbolt systems.

Anyway, I'm stoked to have gotten this far this quick and having a system that is up and running before business on Monday. Will be mounting disks and installing software over the weekend. More on progress as I get stuff working.

Particular thanks to TonyMacX86 and other Devs, Eddy for the pointer and Jerivalu for the post:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...intel-hd-530-integrated-gfx-dual-boot.191292/

Keep it up all and happy to help out if anyone needs help on App Store or similar!

Probably not a good idea to use someone else's serial number... Everything I've read on these boards indicates that's a terrible idea actually, specially if you want to get iMessage working. Follow P1lgrim's advice in this thread to get a safe serial number and get iMessage working:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/s...-ds3h-a-i3-4330-geforce-gt640-10-11-4.189452/

Hi Eddy, Thanks for the heads up. Had a quick look, don't really see how he generates the number(s). If I click the links I just get to new empty posts.

Just needed an update from the app store. I'm not interested in messenger, etc. I only use the rig as a workstation for processing large amounts of images. Have just checked the updates and logged back out. The computer won't even be online most of the time, just running standalone in my office.

Did in the meantime find another issue with the install. As long as I use a USB keyboard the computer will shut down, however, as soon as I plug in a bluetooth dongle to get my apple keyboard working, there's a problem The dongle works fine, however, the computer will no longer shut down. When it does, it reboots after about two seconds. I've tried the logical settings:
- power on on WLAN
- USB and mouse related wake-ups in OSX
- USB and mouse related wake-ups in BIOS

However, all to no effect.

Another issue is wake-up from sleep. If it has just gone to sleep it wakes, but if it has gone to (deep?) sleep, the computer wakes, but the screen stays black. Nothing I can do except a hard reset to get out of this.

Have looked for solutions for both, but not found anything that will work. Guess it will just be a work around sort of pc until skyline macs arrive and more hardware is supported. Happy to hear suggestions though, if anyone has any.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back