Contribute
Register

El Capitan on SSD won't boot (reboot loop), but Yosemite on HDD (same system) works fine...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 7850 TF
I've had Yosemite working successfully on an old 160GB HDD in my machine for months.

It's a Gigabyte Z77X-D3H motherboard with an Intel i5-3570K CPU and after one or two issues getting Yosemite installed it's been running pretty much flawlessly.

I decided I'd like to run the Hackintosh build on a larger drive, and when I found a cheap deal on a SanDisk 480GB SSD a few weeks ago I thought this would be a good time to try, so I installed the drive, made an El Capitan USB boot disk and installed it to the new SSD fine. After reboot, though, I can't seem to get this new drive to boot anything.

• If I choose 'UEFI: SanDisk' (my SSD) it simply reboots in a loop (until it somehow launches the recovery partition of my Windows 10 install on another drive....?!)
  • The same thing happens if I choose a boot option that appears called 'Mac OS X' - is that maybe a Mac recovery partition?

I've also tried booting the SSD El Capitan installation from within my USB boot drive's menu, but there when I select 'El Capitan' and hit enter it just freezes. Even if I select 'verbose mode' it still doesn't display anything and just freezes. I've tried all sorts of things from searching these forums (like trying to create an EFI partition, or manually installing 'Chimera' to the El Cap SSD from within my Yosemite build etc) but I'm just crawling in the dark trying random buttons at this point....

Is there something about the SSD I'm using that isn't compatible? Should I perhaps just try 'cloning' the working Yosemite installation from the HDD to this new SSD and then updating it to El Capitan at a later date??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back