Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, this is my first hackintosh so I might be unaware or unwilling to dig deep into specifics of the terminology. Basically I am unhappy with Windows 7 Pro on my X1 Carbon as I see this hardware/platform being capable of much more but unfortunately Windows 10 seems to be just a facelift of Windows 8 with some features inherited from W7.
So, that said, I decided to go with OS X on an external SSD while I am waiting for my new X1 Carbon with touchscreen and higher resolution to arrive so I can then just transfer the disk image.
The current patient is 20BTS2FJ00 and after reading the Yosemite X1 guide I felt a bit TL;DR and don't really feel that things are as complicated with El Capitan on Broadwell that one needs to patch a kernel.
So far I have accomplished the following:

1. Created the Unibeast USB on a 16GB stick on another machine with 10.11.
2. Got an external USB dock for X1 and attached SSD, network and external mouse/keyboard to that.
3. Installed El Capitan on external and got mouse and trackpad working(until you get Rehabmans PS2 kext it doesn't).
4. Got sound working also following instructions from Yosemite guide.
5. Currently trying to get rid of video lag and install clover so I can start the machine without Unibeast stick.
6. Clover did not install for some reason and I am now trying to follow all the instructions that touch this matter.

WiFi is external and I am planning to keep it so.

The current patient is 20BTS2FJ00 and after reading the Yosemite X1 guide I felt a bit TL;DR
Yeah, it's a bit much. I need to try a scratch install of El Cap to see how bad it is...

I have a tool to automate the DSDT/SSDT patching at least. Check out https://github.com/gfoury/X1C-G3-DSDT-Patch , which automates the patching described by jcsnider.

3. Installed El Capitan on external and got mouse and trackpad working(until you get Rehabmans PS2 kext it doesn't).

You probably want jcsnider's VoodooPS2 kext. It enables the trackpoint, and I think fixes the buttons. It's in the Yosemite guide post #1, in the Post-Clover zip file.

5. Currently trying to get rid of video lag and install clover so I can start the machine without Unibeast stick.

I don't know anything about Unibeast.

Try making a USB stick with just Clover (and kexts) on it. For a config.plist file, try either jcsnider config.plist or maybe https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD5300_5500_5600_6000.plist . That has a working ig-platform-id (and sets Inject:Intel to true.)

Hi,

I'm also looking for more info on this install.
Has anyone finally done a successful install?

Ultimately, i'd like to run my OSX off a USB3 stick. Is this a possibility on the Carbon X1?

Rehi Rehabman,

I just installed El Capitan 10.11.6 on X1 Carbon gen3 Touchscreen, I took me 3 days just to pass the boot-up screen as Config.plist from Yosemite Guide On X1 stalled at "Missing bluetooth transport controller". It could only get through the boot-up unless I chose in clover:
Graphic: Intel=yes, Ig-platform-id: 0x16260006;
Devices: IntelGRX: 0x16168086;
Kernel and Kext patches: RTC, Asus AICPUPM, Kernel LAPIC, KernelPM=yes .

I did not venture deep on modifying the BIOS DVMT but instead I used your config_HD5300_5500_6000.plist in the post-installation.
Specs:
X1 Carbon gen3
I7 5500U 2.39GHZ, 8G memory
Intel graphic 5500
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (2x2, 802.11ac/a/b/g/n) with Bluetooth® 4.0
Intel Ethernet
Audios: HD Audio, Realtek® ALC3232 codec
Micro-SIM card tray Sierra

Here is the result:
What works:
Graphic: Works at full resolution with 4 options in display: 1536MB but on boot-up the second stage the screen blackout until completely into desktop then I have to wait for 1-2mins to press any button to bring up display? I know desktop fully loaded because prior to seeing something, I could hear sound on various key press.
Audios: jcsnider's VoodooHDA_X1Carbon kext did not work so I reverted back to older version voodooHDA kext with deletion of native AppleHDA.kext to get sound. HDMI audio (appears after your using your graphic config.plst) and analogs ok.
Battery: works after patching DSDT from your repo
Backlight: only works from display panel but not from FN + F5 or F6 keys
Ethernet: IntelMAUSEthernet.kext
Bluetooth, camera touch screen all work after installing Multibeast drivers.. Hooray
Keyboard: VoodooPS2Controller (version from jcsnider's) FN does not work but only Ctrl+ F2 or F3 to up/down volume works.
What not works:
- Wireless LAN as expected from research.
- Sierra Micro Simcard (have not time to search for kext on this)

Further more, stepwise patching DSDT from the jscnider's Yosemite guide caused kernel panic even with the posted posting config.plst.

My question:

Any idea why blacking out display on the second half stage of booting into loaded desktop?

Any help greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Any idea why blacking out display on the second half stage of booting into loaded desktop?

Did you implement backlight control? But a blackout is somewhat normal during the boot process (don't expect a hack to be perfect).

Did you implement backlight control? But a blackout is somewhat normal during the boot process (don't expect a hack to be perfect).
Thanks Rehabman, I was thinking there might be someone with similar experience and figured out the fix. Update for my case, I did not realize how fast it boot into desktop since start of Apple Icon boot progress (As I was expecting booting time similar to Lenovo Z560. LOL!!) So i sat there wait for the display to show desktop. All I have to do is press Power button long enough then the screen shows fully loaded desktop. I discover that the Power button is other way to implement to turn screen on/off instead of combination FN and F2 in my Lenovo G560. To me it is unexpected Security Stealth Mode Boot, just in case my son tempers with my laptop. I removed ACPIBacklight kext then FN and other buttons work. I removed ACPIBacklight kext then backlight works using both buttons or display panel. Now I have fully functional X1 Carbon Gen3 (minus the inbuilt wireless lan and simcard).

Thanks Rehabman, I was thinking there might be someone with similar experience and figured out the fix. Update for my case, I did not realize how fast it boot into desktop since start of Apple Icon boot progress (As I was expecting booting time similar to Lenovo Z560. LOL!!) So i sat there wait for the display to show desktop. All I have to do is press Power button long enough then the screen shows fully loaded desktop. I discover that the Power button is other way to implement to turn screen on/off instead of combination FN and F2 in my Lenovo G560. To me it is unexpected Security Stealth Mode Boot, just in case my son tempers with my laptop. I removed ACPIBacklight kext then FN and other buttons work. I removed ACPIBacklight kext then backlight works using both buttons or display panel. Now I have fully functional X1 Carbon Gen3 (minus the inbuilt wireless lan and simcard).

You will need IntelBacklight.kext and "Brightness Fix" for full backlight range...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/

You will need IntelBacklight.kext and "Brightness Fix" for full backlight range...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/
Rehi Rehabman,

Thanks for the suggestions, I gave it a try but intelbacklight kext gave KP. I have managed to install OS Sierra with abit of manipulations:
What works:

Graphic: full same as El Capitan by using your config.plst for Intel 5500, just extra patch for Sierra plus adding MatchOS 10.11.6 and 10.12 specific to each patch so I don't get KP and using single config.plst for both OS
Sounds: VoodooHDA.kext works just fine (also remove AppleHDA)
Keyboards: I used latest VoodooPS2Controller from your repo and slice, both work the same but FN keys not recognized
Cam, Bluetooth and Touchscreen: work after using your latest UBSInjectAll kext, thanks heaps as I scratched my head when kexts included in Multibeast kept giving me KP.
Backlight: only work from Display panel.
Whats not work:
as usual native wireless lan and Sierra simcard tray.

So now I have triple boot: El Capitan, Sierra and Windows 10 live in harmony, thanks to you Rehabman. Your repo is one stop shop for my hiccups.

Now my son and nephew want me to upgrade to Sierra once they see the cool feature Pic-in-Pic video playback

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back