Graphics
Intel 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After running 10.8 for a few years, its now a bit out of date, so I hunkered down over memorial day and worked to get a more up to date system running on this old but nice box. Since I owe a debt of gratitude for the various guides, here is the result of a lot of hard work

First, I tried to install 10.12 Sierra. Unibeast crashed on the EX 490, so I gave up. Then went the other way. Yosemite was buggy. Then I tried El capitan and surprisingly it was relatively straightforward. What helped was a breakout cable to debug what was happening, since the EX490 is a headless unit out of the box. This does not require any Bios changes at least on my system.

2 methods
method 1: Safest - use breakout box to track what is happening, use unibeast to install
method 2: Blind - install el capitan on your other mac to a hard drive

Install instructions
1. Download El Capitan install
2. Download multibeast for el capitan
3. Download Clover Configurator.
For method 1:
Download unibeast for El capitan

Method 1:
Create unibeast for el capitan on USB key > 8GB. Use legacy boot option. Copy multibeast and clover configurator onto same USB key
Plug USB key into EX490 and hit F11 on your keyboard (You can use USB keyboard and USB mouse on EX490)
Chose to boot from USB key
Install El capitan, it will auto reboot.
Boot again from USB key by hitting F11 on your keyboard. It will boot to clover, chose your new hard drive to boot from.
It will finish install.
Now, make any changes in the boot drive name now, screen sharing, file sharing, etc. Network will not work yet.
Run multibeast. Choose these options: 1) Legacy boot 2) *(see notes) Network: Realtek 2.2.1 3) Misc: Null CPU (important, otherwise will crash repeatedly). Install on your boot drive. Reboot.
It should reboot automatically to your drive with ethernet working.
Now go into App Store and update your system and applications. Reboot.
It should reboot into your hard drive.
Run Clover Configurator. Mount hidden EFI partition using EFI mount on the LHS. quit
Go into EFI partition, then navigate to EFi/Clover, then double click on config.plist. It shoudl launch Clover Configurator
on the LHS, click on ACPI then select fix shutdown, then save and quit. Ignore error message.Check your boot disk is named in boot menu.
Eject USb key.
Now install OS X Server, should you want. The only trick here is that only v5.2 works. So if you buy and download v5.3.1, you need to delete the file "Server" found in Applications, then go backl into App Store under purchases and redownload using you hackintosh. It will then download v5.2 and warn you it is an older version.
Go into control panel, users and login options, choose login automatically if you want it to log in.
Done!

Note that while your USB key is in, you will be rebooting to the clover on your USB. Dont worry.Also, after update, the shutdown takes a while during the update software install. Be patient. At least 5 min+.

Method 2: (havent tried but should work)
Skip unibeast, transfer the el capitan install to a bootable usb key (google is your friend).
Boot your mac into el capitan
Install into your new hard drive for the EX490 either using sata or USB. FOr most USB adapter is easiest.
when it finished, it should reboot into your new hard drive and finish the install.
Now, make any changes in the boot drive name now, screen sharing, file sharing, etc.
Go into App store, update the system, reboot into EX490 hard drive
Run multibeast. Choose these options: 1) ) Legacy boot 2) *(see notes) Network: Realtek 2.2.1 3) Misc: Null CPU (important, otherwise will crash repeatedly). Install on your new ex490 boot drive. Reboot.
Run Clover Configurator. Mount hidden EFI partition using EFI mount on the LHS. quit
Go into EFI partition, then navigate to EFi/Clover, then double click on config.plist. It shoudl launch Clover Configurator
on the LHS, click on ACPI then select fix shutdown, then save and quit. Ignore error message.
Now install OS X Server, should you want. The only trick here is that only v5.2 works. So if you buy and download v5.3.1, you need to delete the file "Server" found in Applications, then go backl into App Store under purchases and redownload using you hackintosh. It will then download v5.2 and warn you it is an older version.
Just to be sure, Run Clover Configurator. Mount hidden EFI partition using EFI mount on the LHS. quit
On LHS, go to boot, make sure that the name of the boot disk matches the name of your drive.
Go into control panel, users and login options, choose login automatically if you want it to log in.
Shut down, move to EX490 and it should boot up!

Whew! El capitan works with OS X server on EX490 and EX495. I am running a E5200 and E8500 CPU, so I do not know if you have a upgraded CPU will work. It is snappy even with 2 GB memory.

*Notes:
1) Networking is buggy using the Mieze Realtek 2.2.1 driver. It seems to work fine, unless you want to use afp as a time machine backup (with server) or as a itunes server. It slows to a crawl, and I could not identify why. A solution was to revert
to the Realtek 2.0.6 driver and remove the Mieze 2.2.1 driver. To do that you need to run from terminal
rm - rf location of the 2.2.1 driver, which should be in ~/Library/Extensions/. Then you need install the 2.0.6 driver, Then rebuild the kext cache and reboot. Fixed the problems.

Last edited:
I was running Yosemite but I would keep on freezing randomly. Tried to follow this guide. The Install went ok but when I try to boot from the disk to finish the install it crashes. Can anyone help please?

Included is a screen shot of the crash:

Attachments

• IMG_20180617_153456.jpg
    IMG_20180617_153456.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 181
Managed to get this working at last, and also seems much more stable. There is a step missing. After running unibeast you need to amend the configure.plist with clover configuration.

Ending up clicking on fix shutdown and generate CPUs States also disabling ddst.aml just be renaming it to something that did not exist. This allowed me to install and boot without any issues.

Not forgetting to disable the 3 cpu bios settings listed in my other post.

I have finally got something that seem to work without crashing. Thanks for the info on this forum.

Can you expand step by step how you did it? I would like to update to Mojave, as El Capitan is a bit out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back