Contribute
Register

El Capitan on GA-Z170X-UD5 Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. My build is really similar. i7-6700K 4.0GHZ on a GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Board with 64 GB Corsair DDR4 2133MHZ Ram and a GTX 960 SuperSC board running OSX El Capitan and Windows.

I'm struggling with a few problems. Maybe you have a clue where to look.

- Sudden shutdowns. Always when doing CUDA heavy work. Might be driver or my Ram issue
- Only sees 24 GB (3x8GB) ram in OSX. I have 64 GB (4x16GB) installed, and it shows up fine in bios and my Windows boot.
- Network card has disappeared a few times. Also under heavy use copying large amounts a data. A reboot fixes it, until next time.

Also, do you know any references for the performance loss of 3,1 vs 17,1?

Kind regards Niklas

Last edited:
Also, do you know any references for the performance loss of 3,1 vs 17,1?

I am also building on this board. It's a beautiful board!

This is not a "complete" picture of the performance loss, but it's probably a part of it. At least, this is the only hard data I've found regarding Skylake optimizations. It also presumes that Apple has implemented Intel's Speed Shift technology in recent versions of OS X, which I have also been unable to confirm.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9751/examining-intel-skylake-speed-shift-more-responsive-processors

Yes. I am using my machine right now with a full 4K display and a 1080p display side by side. works great. (Apologies realized your question was directed at @tofuconfetti)
No problem! I appreciate your feedback! That is all I really needed to know! I am trying to do a triple monitor setup, and trying to find a suitable gfx card. I've struck out on two of them so far. Nvidia gtx 970 and amd 380x. Since this seems to be a working GPU (gtx 960) I think I will get that one instead. If you do happen to have a third monitor @carljharris3141 and you do connect it would you mind sharing if three monitors work if that ever does happen. Thanks again!

I am having issues with it saying getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model

I have tried following the directions in this thread, and using SMBIOS iMac17,1 as well as iMac14,2.

Any suggestions?

What is meant by this? I am unable to find this? Is it a boot flag?
You initially use this in the clover boot screen to get to the installer. When you see the boot screen, you have to tab across (and underneath the two main icons) to the "options" section. Then down to PCI devices in the menu presented to you. Under that category, check "fix USB" and possibly "inject USB" (that ended up not being necessary for me). That will get you started.

Once you have installed and are using Multibeast (I used v 8.2.3), you have to go under the Drivers category, then Select USB and on the right click the "Increase the max port limit" along with all the other things described in the original post. That is all I had to do and all of my ports work.

Okay perfect. I got that.

I then followed the rest of your directions that you outlined, but I am still having an issue where the display loses signal, and when I run it in verbose mode I get the following error (response):

Code:
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resouceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x5e
    -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported
AppleINtelPCHPMC::publishedIDPPF - return false

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back