Contribute
Register

El Capitan on Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patched or unlocked BIOS. Or try the efivars method in Linux.
Tried to unlock BIOS in Ubuntu linux (16.04). But system doesn't allow me to modify this file. H
as to give up. ;-(

sudo add-apt-repository "http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) universe"

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ghex

sudo ghex /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/SetupMode-8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c

I'm successfully running macOS Sierra.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread where they have a kext file working for El Capitan it seems, but not Sierra.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...n-os-x-el-capitan-1011-for-unsupported-cards/

Let me know if it works for you all.

Cheers.
Glad to know Sierra works for you. Would you mind to share your installation steps in another thread? And what parts is working? what is not working? Specifically, are I2C devices like the ELAN5515 touchscreen working in sierra?

I tried hard to make either the screen touch or the trackpad works. But I could not enable any I2C device in this laptop. Also the trackpad (precision touch pad) is only worked as usb mouse, no tap, scrolling, two fingers support

I noticed that thread too. But I couldn't make the wireless card working.

Last edited:
Glad to know Sierra works for you. Would you mind to share your installation steps in another thread? And what parts is working? what is not working? Specifically, are I2C devices like the ELAN5515 touchscreen working in sierra?

I tried hard to make either the screen touch or the trackpad works. But I could not enable any I2C device in this laptop. Also the trackpad (precision touch pad) is only worked as usb mouse, no tap, scrolling, two fingers support

I noticed that thread too. But I couldn't make the wireless card working.
I apologize I didn't update you sooner.

I followed the instructions in this thread, however just utilized macOS Sierra instead of El Capital(El Capitan was pulled from the App Store, so I had little choice).

Wifi/BT & Touch Screen did not work after everything, but everything else seemed fine.

I've purchased a Late 2014 Mac Mini 8GB for $300, so I stopped exploring further.

Thanks. Any work around for this problem?
I understand this is an old post but I thought I would try to help for anyone else having problems unlocking the BIOS on the Acer Switch Alpha 12.

To unlock the BIOS is simple. Start the tablet while tapping F2 repeatedly to get into UEFI setup. Then you have to make a Administrator Password for the UEFI setup. Once that is done it will automatically unlock all the settings. Without setting a Administrator Password you won't have access to change any settings.

I understand this is an old post but I thought I would try to help for anyone else having problems unlocking the BIOS on the Acer Switch Alpha 12.

To unlock the BIOS is simple. Start the tablet while tapping F2 repeatedly to get into UEFI setup. Then you have to make a Administrator Password for the UEFI setup. Once that is done it will automatically unlock all the settings. Without setting a Administrator Password you won't have access to change any settings.
I apologize I didn't update you sooner.

I followed the instructions in this thread, however just utilized macOS Sierra instead of El Capital(El Capitan was pulled from the App Store, so I had little choice).

Wifi/BT & Touch Screen did not work after everything, but everything else seemed fine.

I've purchased a Late 2014 Mac Mini 8GB for $300, so I stopped exploring further.

I have the Lenovo Yoga 910 which I believe uses the same trackpad as you: it's the I2C 8086:9d61
Were you able to get it working? Could you offer any guidance here? Thanks!

I followed the installation steps posted here to install Sierra onto my Acer Switch Alpha 12 with the i7-6500u and am currently on Mac OS 10.12.5. Everything seams to be working except 1-SD Card reader, 2-Trackpad as a Trackpad (Works as 2 button mouse), 3-Sleep/Wake (Major graphical glitch after wake until an eventual screen lockup minutes to hours later), 4-Onboard Wifi, 5-Screen Brightness adjustment (worked before 10.12.5 update). iMessage/Facetime (Nul Ethernet patch doesn't seam to be working after updating to 10.12.5)

My question is has anyone tried a switching the SMBIOS from a MacBook Air to the newer Skylake "MacBook Pro,1"? I tried it today and without any patching had the screen sleep and wake working out of the gate. The only problem was my keyboard and trackpad completely stopped working (had to connect external keyboard and mouse to revert back to old settings. Does anyone know if the other SMBIOS is better or makes a difference? And does anyone know how to get Keyboard and mouse to work on the new SMBIOS?

I followed the installation steps posted here to install Sierra onto my Acer Switch Alpha 12 with the i7-6500u and am currently on Mac OS 10.12.5. Everything seams to be working except 1-SD Card reader, 2-Trackpad as a Trackpad (Works as 2 button mouse), 3-Sleep/Wake (Major graphical glitch after wake until an eventual screen lockup minutes to hours later), 4-Onboard Wifi, 5-Screen Brightness adjustment (worked before 10.12.5 update). iMessage/Facetime (Nul Ethernet patch doesn't seam to be working after updating to 10.12.5)

My question is has anyone tried a switching the SMBIOS from a MacBook Air to the newer Skylake "MacBook Pro,1"? I tried it today and without any patching had the screen sleep and wake working out of the gate. The only problem was my keyboard and trackpad completely stopped working (had to connect external keyboard and mouse to revert back to old settings. Does anyone know if the other SMBIOS is better or makes a difference? And does anyone know how to get Keyboard and mouse to work on the new SMBIOS?

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back