Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming G1 Rev 1.0
CPU
i7 6770K
Graphics
GTX 1080ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Just downloaded and tested the brilliant new driver for NVME m.2 x 4 PCIe from MacVidCards.com Checkit it out!

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver1.html

Here's their FAQ

FAQ:

Q: Is this a signed driver?
A: Yes.

Q: What version of OS X does this driver support?
A: 10.11

Q: Where should I install this driver?
A: /Library/Extensions – Note that the owner and group for the entire kext MUST be set to root:wheel

Q: How do I set owner and group?
A: sudo chown –R 0:0 NVMeGeneric.kext

Q: What devices have you tested this with?
A: Intel P3700 series, Samsung SM1715 and SM951 series

Q: Can I boot from an NVMe drive?
A: No, not until someone writes a standards compliant EFI driver for the Macintosh.

Q: Doesn’t Apple supply NVMe drivers and EFI boot ROMs for their new machines?
A: Apple chose to make their NVMe devices and drivers non-compliant with the NVMe standard. Why they use the NVMe name for a non-compliant device and driver is a mystery.

Q: Can I use this to support an NVMe device in an external ThunderBolt enclosure like the Akitio?
A: Yes.

Q: Does this driver support hot-plug for ThunderBolt configurations?
A: yes, however it does not support hot “un-plug”. If you unplug a ThunderBolt connected NVMe device crashes may occur. Caveat Emptor!

Q: Will NVMe devices speed up my system?
A: Maybe. It depends on your configuration and usage.

Q: What affects performance?
A: Device characteristics, hardware configuration, operating system design, and driver architecture. In particular OS X does not support MSI-X and forces CPU0 to handle all interrupts – although the workloop can distribute some of the load. Also, OS X caches heavily and does not provide a true DIRECT_IO equivalent; the combination of these factors makes many OS X benchmarks very bad at characterizing device performance – particularly so with small I/O and very fast devices.

Q: Is this safe to use?
A: Define safe… NVMe devices are just PCIe cards, and are fully electrically compatible with any system with PCIe slots. Could there be bugs in the software that cause data loss or crashes? Absolutely – but I have not encountered them.

Q: Why does my system report still say: “This computer doesn't contain any NVMExpress devices”?
A: Because system report uses Apple’s non-compliant NVMe kext infrastructure. Look under the PCI devices and you will see your NVMe device and it will indicate that the driver has been installed.

Q: What is nvme-cli?
A: This is a command line utility to issue NVMe management commands – if you don’t know what that means you can safely ignore this utility. This utility lets you define multiple namespaces on your NVMe device, as well as letting you query log pages and SMART data.

Q: Who/what is MinnowStor? What do they make and why did they create this?
A: MinnowStor is a startup that has not come out of “Stealth mode”.

Q: Will an NVMe device cause my Classic Mac Pro to overheat our wear out sooner?
A: I will break my own rule about answering only coherent, intelligent questions. It is amazing that “armchair engineers” think the cMP has poor thermal engineering – it is an extremely well designed unit. There is the assertion that the cooling is poor due to high idle temperatures on the northbridge – this is totally by design! Apple likes quiet machines… so they keep the fans low and allow chips to reach temperatures that, while safe, are markedly higher than cheap PC designs [note: this trend continues with the new iMacs and MacPros]. If this bothers you use SMC and kick the fans up a notch – with the fan speed increased my northbridge idles at 47C – much lower than the so-called “well engineered PCs”. You can overheat your northbridge – if you have broken heatsink clips, failed thermal paste, or have a huge build up of dust inside your machine.

Q: What about all the conflicting information and opinions on the internet?
A: Consider the source. There are no editors or fact checkers on the internet.

Attachments

• nvme-with-a-samsung-951-m.jpg
    nvme-with-a-samsung-951-m.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 608
  • nvme-951-speedtest.jpg
    nvme-951-speedtest.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 554
Thanks for posting. Used the driver to Install OS X 10.11.1 as above on the Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD. Installed the driver to Clover/Kexts/10.11. In About This Mac the drive is showing under Storage devices as PCI SSD external. This drive is the 128GB version which has limited write speeds but the reading performance is great. The larger drives are much more consistent but as a boot drive it is fast.

Test System: Asus Z170 Deluxe.

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 19.20.57.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-15 at 18.53.56.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 19.23.38.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-15 at 19.41.42.png

Its a signed kext so its safe for S/L/E thats where I stuck mine.

Yeah I have the 512Gb version and it definitely is faster than your reports for the 128gb version.

I know it boots but Im using mine as a scratch disk for BMD DaVinci Resolve 12 and 4K grading. Ive just rendered a 4K video and written out to the NVME in a 3rd of the time it normally takes me. :)

Good news! I have 950 Pro ! just tested on gigabyte x99 ud4 ! all OK!

But speed in Disk Speed Test about 700 / 700 because of M 2 on x99 ud4. Waiting for PCI X4 adapter

Driftwoodtv,

Just sent you a PM about your build.

Driftwoodtv,

Just sent you a PM about your build.

Hi Herb. Yeah. Cant PM at the moment. never did get to 70 odd posts on here. The Z170 Gaming G1 is a beauty for both platforms I work on. Bit expensive, but I intend on adding to it over the next few months. Was keen to get Skylake going with a stack of drives mounted in my S1 case, and the bountiful SATAs this board offers, plus thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 and four lane PCI. NVME is brilliant as a BMD DaVinci scratch disk. Getting around 3 times the speed over standard SSDs.

It looks like a great board.

I'm on the fence... It's between an X99 6 core rig or a Skylake setup like yours. The 6 core scores better but Skylake is newer

Seems like there are boards in both varieties with similar specs. So what tilted you in the Skylake direction?

My hack died and I need to order a new system today.

Nick,

I forgot to ask if iMessage and the App Store are working.

Good to hear this - there was some doubt in MACVidcards FAQ about it being used as a boot drive (though he implied it may work on a Hack). wild willow, you say you can boot from it? Any issues to be wary of?

Good to hear this - there was some doubt in MACVidcards FAQ about it being used as a boot drive (though he implied it may work on a Hack). wild willow, you say you can boot from it? Any issues to be wary of?

The doubts about booting are true on real macs due to the EFI. I've got the drive booting fine with OS X on the Z170 Deluxe. Some issues with restarts and shutdown with a USB drive connected but overall its working, could just be my configuration at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back