Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Rampage III Extreme
CPU
Xeon X5660
Graphics
GTX 670
Hi,

I have succesfully installed OSX 10.11.6 with Clover legacy boot from BIOS and running smoothly now. I do have a problem, where, when putting the machine to sleep, the system tries to do just that, but apparently fails and freezes due to Intel 82567V-2 network controller and AppleIntelE1000e.kext.

Monitor goes black, but fans keep spinning. Other moving parts make a sound like they're trying to sleep. Then the system goes unresponsive with the screen black, and a forced reboot is needed to bring it back to operation.

I am sure about the source of the problem.. or then not. It occurs, when the NIC is enabled in BIOS. Power management seems to work fine, and FakeSMC monitor reports values to the software as expected, as can be seen from Hardware monitor app. If I disable it, sleep function works perfectly.

Another solution is to detach the DVD drive from SATA connector, which fixes the sleep freeze thingie, but makes the wakeup quite slow. It takes a bit under half a minute for the system to become usable, although I can enter my password and the desktop starts to load if I'm fast enough before the system goes slow.

To make it clear, if I detach the DVD drive, sleep works even with NIC enabled. If I disable the NIC, sleep works even with the DVD drive connected. With NIC enabled and DVD drive connected, the system freezes during entering sleep.

relevant specs:
mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme, X58, ICH10R
CPU: Intel X5660

Can you suggest some troubleshooting tips, or got anything else to share on the issue?

...edited a bit, for more descriptive description.

Last edited:
@margusta, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

A small update: strangely, now that I detached my DVD drive from the SATA port, the system goes to sleep and wakes up as expected, although the wakeup process is quite slow. This beats my technical understanding. Why would disabling NIC solve the issue, as would detaching the DVD drive, separately from each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back