Contribute
Register

el capitan installation incomplete error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think best a new post, for the notification purproses of it.
I tried the sudo installer and it created a working osx install usb for mac.
What can i do next?

Is what you said below here the next step of the alternative method?
I dont understand it fully the following that you said about efi partition. Wich EFI partition, from where to where, and how?

Below a screenshot of the usb that the sudo command created.

View attachment 523745

Okay.

Use EFI Mounter v3.1 (from our Downloads section) to mount the hidden EFI partition of your USB stick. To make sure you are mounting the correct one, use Disk Utility to identify the USB stick. Looking at your screengrab, Finder is covering-up the part of Disk Utility you need to look at. It will probably be Disk2 or something similar, and the main drive might be Disk2s2. In EFI Mounter v3.1 you will then see Disk2s1 which in this example would be the hidden EFI we need on your USB. stick.

Once you have mounted that, you will have an external drive named EFI on your desktop. Copy the El Capitan EFI folder you know is working, into this. You should then be able to boot from the USB Installer stick.

thankyou!
I have the EFI mounted now, what is the el capitan EFI folder that i need to copy to the EFI partition? is it the whole contents of the install osx partition or one particular folder or is it the /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi ?
Also i am reading to install clover, but i am confused about that.
For now i am just stuck on what is the el capitan efi folder:) and i guess after that i can look at how to get clover on it?

Last edited:
I am getting a bit further! :D
i installed clover on the usb stick. it made a EFI folder in the el capitan partition.Utterdisbelief, is this what you meant with the el capitan efi ?
I copied this folder to the EFI partition.

It does boot now on my windows pc, and it gives a clover screen. but no OSX yet and i get to see an error before it boots.
I think it is because the config.plist is not set correct? Is this so and is there any plist file for el capitan for download here?
And is this also the cause why i dont see the OSX appear in the clover boot menu?

clover1.jpg

clover2.jpg

I am getting a bit further! :D
i installed clover on the usb stick. it made a EFI folder in the el capitan partition.Utterdisbelief, is this what you meant with the el capitan efi ?
I copied this folder to the EFI partition.

It does boot now on my windows pc, and it gives a clover screen. but no OSX yet and i get to see an error before it boots.
I think it is because the config.plist is not set correct? Is this so and is there any plist file for el capitan for download here?
And is this also the cause why i dont see the OSX appear in the clover boot menu?

View attachment 523789

View attachment 523791

Looking. at those two screens it's clear there are some editing faults in config.plist. If it helps to see things more visually, I recommend you use the Clover Configurator app to view things in a more logical layout.

Then check the errors the first screen is telling you about.

It is also important to understand which Clover version you are trying to use, because since 5123 there have been elements of OpenCore added for future compatibility. It isn't easy to mix the two versions.

When copying an EFI folder into place you copy the whole tree, not just a part of it. There are several components that need to be at the same version number.

i honestly dont know wich clover version is best for el capitan? i only need it for this osx, i will never upgrade it to newer.
I would like to use the version that is best and easiest with el capitan only, on a asustek b85m-g system with intel hd 4600 graphics.
i downloaded release 5137 from this link:

This is how the usb is looking like now. is it good like this?
clover3.jpg

clover4.jpg

Last edited:
i honestly dont know wich clover version is best for el capitan? i only need it for this osx, i will never upgrade it to newer.
I would like to use the version that is best and easiest with el capitan only, on a asustek b85m-g system with intel hd 4600 graphics.
i downloaded release 5137 from this link:

This is how the usb is looking like now. is it good like this?
View attachment 523792
View attachment 523793

If you do not wish to get involved with OpenCore then go for a version of Clover prior to 5123. My own El Capitan SSD uses r5102 and it is very reliable. We have a download here:

However you may wish to use a more modern version as there is live support for it.

Then read through our full installation guide:

... to check you have all your settings correct.

The images you have uploaded are confusing in some respects. I would wonder why there is also an EFI folder in the root directory of your main drive. Clover will put a EFI-Backup there, but not an EFI folder unless it has been installed in Legacy mode.

i just saw your post after posting mine: )
i had more errors with the clover, but i will make a new bootable stick with the 5102 now.
The clover installer put only a EFI folder in the os x el capitan partition, nothing in the EFI partition. I copied it there myself.
But i'll first try the older version and see if that works better for me.

i ran clover configurator,
and i disabled the fixheaders and i put a mac in the smbios, selected macpro3.1
But now im getting a different error when i boot.
And still no OSX in the menu

Maybe best if you upload your EFI folder for us to check.
Just XXX-out the serial-number and UUID in your config.plist for privacy.

I would not recommend system-definition macpro3,1 any more as it was long since deprecated by Apple. I use iMac14,2 for example. (No good for Big Sur though).

i want to let you guys know that the thread is not dead, i'm still working on it, and getting further:)
The 5102 clover recognized the el cap install files, and i got to the point of where el cap installer would run from the clover.
The installer then froze with a beachball before the environment showed up. Tried a few settings via clover configurator but to no result.
Because of all the versions and trying i decided to wipe the mac on which i make the usb, andsin wipe the usb too and start with all completely from scratch, with the version 5102.
Somewhere in the coming days i'll be able to finish this so i can upload the EFI config as a good clean starting point. i assume its the settings in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back