Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
asustek b85m-g
CPU
i7 4790
Graphics
intel hd graphics 4600
Hello,
I get the error that el capitan installation is incomplete when running the unibeast tool to create a unibeast usb stick
i tried a installation file from a working usb installer of el cap, of which i used the 6.2gb install file by dragging it to applications.
I also tried downloading el cap from apple website and running the installer, wich downloaded the full install file as well
With both i got the same error, but perhaps it has some difference cause?

Thankyou for the troubleshooting, and i went through all the steps on it, and i can't find anything what i might have done incorrect, wrong setting or environment incompatiblity.
i tried downloading 2 times (the download produced a good working installer, wich in turn downloaded the 6.2gb installer file.)
The installer i got from this link:

and from the working usb disk (wich is also a valid official copy) twice.
The usb stick in question is new, also tested if for errors and gave none.
I went to this page:
and it gives requested thread could not be found.
I am running 10.11.6 on the system that i try to make the stick with.

i checked the log and it says this:
07/02/21 15:46:41 - Starting UniBeast 6.2.0-20160218
07/02/21 15:47:07 - Install Application incomplete, exiting

07/02/21 15:52:27 - Install Application incomplete, exiting

07/02/21 15:53:01 - Install Application incomplete, exiting

07/02/21 16:37:00 - Starting UniBeast 6.2.0-20160218
07/02/21 16:39:26 - Install Application incomplete, exiting

Thankyou for the troubleshooting, and i went through all the steps on it, and i can't find anything what i might have done incorrect, wrong setting or environment incompatiblity.
i tried downloading 2 times (the download produced a good working installer, wich in turn downloaded the 6.2gb installer file.)
The installer i got from this link:

and from the working usb disk (wich is also a valid official copy) twice.
The usb stick in question is new, also tested if for errors and gave none.
I went to this page:
and it gives requested thread could not be found.
I am running 10.11.6 on the system that i try to make the stick with.

i checked the log and it says this:
07/02/21 15:46:41 - Starting UniBeast 6.2.0-20160218
07/02/21 15:47:07 - Install Application incomplete, exiting

07/02/21 15:52:27 - Install Application incomplete, exiting

07/02/21 15:53:01 - Install Application incomplete, exiting

07/02/21 16:37:00 - Starting UniBeast 6.2.0-20160218
07/02/21 16:39:26 - Install Application incomplete, exiting

Hi there,

You may know this already, but when you download an older version of macOS from Apple it comes packaged as a *.dmg file. You open this and run the *.pkg file within it. When you do this it extracts the "Install...*.pkg" file which is what you need. You put this file in the Applications folder and run UniBeast (not the pkg file in the dmg).

:)

Hi there,

You may know this already, but when you download an older version of macOS from Apple it comes packaged as a *.dmg file. You open this and run the *.pkg file within it. When you do this it extracts the "Install...*.pkg" file which is what you need. You put this file in the Applications folder and run UniBeast (not the pkg file in the dmg).

:)
Yes i know this, i put this in the starting post that i downloaded the dmg and ran the program, and selected download the full installer file and that it was 6.2gb
The system where i run the unibeast creator on is a a1278 mbp btw.
the target usb stick is a kingston data traveler 2.0 16gb and i formatted it with disk utility as GUID map, osx extended journaled
I tried now for the 3rd time, reformatting the stick, downloading the DMG, and letting the program download the installer pkg.
Also tried for the 3rd time copying the pkg from the working normal osx installation stick.
Also i tried a different brand usb stick, and a different usb port
still same error.
When i run the installer pkg itself it seems to be working fine.
i ran first aid in disk utility on the macbook ssd and on all the usb sticks and it found no errors.

Last edited:
I just thought of something, in the past there might have been a sierra installation pkg on this system which was never used and then deleted. Could this still be interfering somehow?

Below answers to all the troubleshooting list steps . To make sure im not missing any, and for you to see if i do have something incorrect here.
EDIT: to keep this post short i attached answers to the steps in a text

Attachments

• unibeasttroubleshooting.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Below answers to all the troubleshooting list steps . To make sure im not missing any, and for you to see if i do have something incorrect here.

here the answers to the troubleshooting list:

Before posting an issue or question with UniBeast please read the following:

1. UniBeast does NOT install anything on your hard drive, it CREATES a bootable USB stick.
aware of this

2. UniBeast only works on English language systems and is not supported using any other language.
the system is english

3. UniBeast is not supported when running within a VM. Use your native OS X installation instead.
it is not on a VM

4. UniBeast will only write to an external drive with a partition of 32 GB or less. Larger drives will need to be partitioned.
usb drive is 16gb

5. Disable any antivirus software as it can interfere with UniBeast operation.
no antivirus present

6. You must disable SIP when running UniBeast on a host running Catalina. Failure to do so will result in a failure to install Clover on the destination drive.
runs on el cap.

7. UniBeast does not support running from or copying to Case-sensitive file systems.
both host and usb are not case sensitive

8. Installation of Clover will always fail if booted in Safe Mode.
is not in safe mode

9. Failure to write errors are either a bad destination drive or host system USB issues. macOS Catalina requires a 16GB or larger USB drive. macOS Mojave requires a 8GB or larger USB drive.
destination drive is tested and checked, macbook checked, tried different usb drives, no sign of any usb issues.

10. It typically takes between 15-30 minutes to complete copying and creating the USB. The time is all based on system and USB type and speed.
did not arrive here

11. UniBeast will detect and only work with a valid purchased copy of macOS install application in /Applications.
application is valid from apple

12. UniBeast will erase the destination disk as part of the creation process. Make sure you have backed up any files on the destination before running.
aware of this

13. If you choose UEFI Boot Mode install, the USB stick MUST be formatted as GPT.
usb is formatted in GPT

14. If you choose Legacy Boot Mode install, the USB stick can be formatted as MBR or GPT. If it's MBR then Clover will be installed to the root of the destination drive. If it's GPT, Clover will be installed on the EFI partition.
usb drive is GPT (GUID)

15. UniBeast will log to ~/Library/Logs/UniBeast.log which is accessible via the Console application. Any failures or errors will be logged during the appropriate phase.
posted the log.

16. Clover installation logs are written to /var/log/install.log which is accessible via the Console application. Any Clover installation failure logs are written there.
did not arrive here

17. UniBeast is a signed installer. Make sure "System Preferences - > Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow applications downloaded from" is checked for "Mac App Store and identified developers" or "Anywhere"
anywhere is selected

18. If your "Install macOS xxx.app" is less then 5 GB, then it's the partial installer and will not work with UniBeast. See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cted-mac-os-x-installer-is-incomplete.249330/ for a solution.
installer is 6.22 GB

19. Most UniBeast failures are due to it not finding your valid purchased copy of "Install macOS (version).app" in /Applications, or the application is incomplete or corrupted.
application is valid and seems to run good by itself

Your copy of the install application can get corrupted if you copy it off to another folder and/or volume. It could also get corrupted if you have multiple copies of the application and then update it from the Mac App Store. When you update the application the Mac App Store download function is smart and can detect if the original is no longer in /Applications and update it in the new location or it will only update part of it in the new location and create the rest in /Applications, thus creating a spilt update.

To fix this issue you need to delete all copies of "Install macOS (version).app" from all mounted volumes and empty the Trash. Then download it again to ensure that you are downloading a clean complete copy from the Mac App Store.
tried this step as well

20. If none of these solve your problem then follow the instructions in http://www.tonymacx86.com/unibeast/85364-unibeast-failure-reporting.html
got a thread does not exist on this page

Okay. I think you need to realise that we can only go on what you tell us, but a 20-point list is not helpful. The list is only telling us that you have done everything correctly, every step of the way and that our problem-reporting link doesn't work.

Most visitors will give up reading and move elsewhere. They wouldn't know where to start.

Be clear about the problem. In post #1 you say: "i tried a installation file from a working usb installer of el cap". So if you have a working installer on USB, what is actually the problem?

In post #5 you say: "and letting the program download the installer pkg". This is confusing because the pkg you need is inside the dmg you downloaded - unless it is only the stub of 19MB but you say it's 6.2GB.

So, are you saying you are unable to create a UniBeast installer USB stick?

Have you tried the alternative "creatinstallmedia" method using Terminal?

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

If so, was there a problem with that method? You would need to copy your El Capitan EFI folder into place on the USB stick.

Thankyou for pointing that out, i put the answers to the list in a text to keep things short.

With that i have a working osx installer usb i mean for mac only, with osx file system to install it on osx macbook. It is not a unibeast osx stick for windows pc.
It has a osx install file on it ofcourse, which i also tried to use by copying it to the application folder of the macbook as a base for the unibeast creator.

The 19mb installer dmg, says that el cap is already installed on the system and if i want to download a full installation file instead of updating.
Then i click yes and then it downloads the full 6.22gb file. I thought giving this info was not relevant since its the normal working of the installer dmg, how it downloads the installation file.
If it helps i can provide screenshots.

The osx app store does not have el capitan anymore, that is why i get the el cap install file in the two ways i mentioned.

The unibeast usb stick is unable to create a stick
When i select el capitan it gives this message:
Install Application incomplete
It is a popup error window on which i can click ok.
Then the creator does not go on to the next step and nothing gets copied to the usb stick and no new partitions are being made on it.
it stays empty.

i ran the sudo code and its creating install media now, i will update this post with the results when its done

Last edited:
I think best a new post, for the notification purproses of it.
I tried the sudo installer and it created a working osx install usb for mac.
What can i do next?

Is what you said below here the next step of the alternative method?
I dont understand it fully the following that you said about efi partition. Wich EFI partition, from where to where, and how?
If so, was there a problem with that method? You would need to copy your El Capitan EFI folder into place on the USB stick.

Below a screenshot of the usb that the sudo command created.

osxusb.jpg

Last edited:
I think best a new post, for the notification purproses of it.
I tried the sudo installer and it created a working osx install usb for mac.
What can i do next?

Is what you said below here the next step of the alternative method?
I dont understand it fully the following that you said about efi partition. Wich EFI partition, from where to where, and how?

Below a screenshot of the usb that the sudo command created.

View attachment 523745
now you will need to install clover to the usb stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back