Contribute
Register

El Capitan Install SUCCESS with Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Graphics
EVGA 02G-P4-2645-KR NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

El Capitan installed and is working nearly perfectly, (when the is awaken from sleep audio no longer works - I'll fix that at a later date). Here is the short and sweet of what I did to get the install working, this is the result of a lot of searching, reading, learning a titbit of info and searching and reading more. As you go through this you will need to search tonymacx86 for more detailed instructions:

My system is a basic 2012 Custo-Mac build with the following:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
MoBo - GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Mem - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU - EVGA GeForce GT 640 DirectX 12 (feature level 11_0) 02G-P4-2645-KR 2GB 128-Bit DDR3
Root drv - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA
Data drv - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0
Blue Ray - LG Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R

Items added later:
Mem - 8GB PNY DDR3 single stick
USB - USB 3.0 dual port PCI card
Data Drv - Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drive
Backup Drv - Samsung 750GB drive

DownLoad the following and have them on a USB stick.

1. Clover Configurator - tonymacx86.com downloads
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=276
2. Audio driver: audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0g.command
http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/138882-toleda-has-made-patching-audio-clover-easy-v2.html
3. Atheros Driver: AtherosL1cEthernet.kext
http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...z77-ds3h-rev-1-1-ethernet-fix-alxethernet.zip
4. EFI Mounter-v2.app - v3 did not work for me.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=220
5 Gigabyte site for BIOS download: BIOS download will need to be extracted first.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4147&dl=1&RWD=0#bios
6. Keka - for extracting the BIOS in a Windows self extracting archive.
http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

After attempting to install El Capitan several times and getting weird errors, that have been enumerated else where on this site, I found a post that recommended I strip the system down to the bare custo-mac essentials and leave only the root Drive. Once done, I followed Tony's UniBeast install. For the build I selected UEFI Mode only. Closer, but stil no joy. Another search revealed that the BIOS should be updated. Forgot about the BIOS and I was pretty far behind - f5. I used the Keka app to extract the EX file from Gigabyte. Next, update the BIOS to version f9. Boot into BIOS and make the following changes:

1. Load Optimized Defaults
2. In Peripherals: SATA Mode Selection set to ACHA
3. That's it.

System config at this point:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
MoBo - GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Mem - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Root drv - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA
Blue Ray - LG Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R

Attempted the UniBeast installed. This time all went as expected up to the MultiBeast install. It is not necessary, I have since learned, to install the GPU, audio or network drivers with MultiBeast, only thing I selected was UEFI Boot Mode. Once the MultiBeast install is complete reboot. The system should boot up into El Capitan.

Two lingering issues, Audio and network:

Use the EFI Mounter-v2.app to mount the EFI partition on your boot drive. Next run the audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0g.command to install the correct audio driver - search tonymacx86 for more detailed instructions. Reboot.

Use the EFI mMounter-v2.app to mount the EFI partition on your boot drive. Next copy the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kext/10.11 and (this may not be necessary) to /Library/Extensions. Reboot.

Your audio and networking should be functional now.

Finally, run Clover Configurator - search tonymacx86 for more detailed instructions on populating the config.plist. Save your changes. (Call me annual, but I have had problems by not), unmount the EFI partition. Reboot.

Once your system is up and stable, add each extra component back one at a time, with a reboot between. Lastly, add your nvidia GPU back.

I had NO wonky issues when I install this way.

I really love my Hackintosh, but there was a dark moment or two when I was trying to imagine life with Windows 10.

I hope this helps someone.

Great post but nowhere in it or your profile do you detail which revision of the GA-Z77-DS3H
you have. May seem trivial but there are differences between the 1.0 and 1.1 boards.
Thanks again!

btw, I have a 1.0 with firmware 11a; upgraded from F9 back in June.

Thanks for your guide, scogzy! With a few tweaks to it for my 1.0 board, I am now up and running. I began with this configuration:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H v1.0 (BIOS version: F9)
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
RAM: 32GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM (F3-1600C9Q-32GXM)
HDD: 640GB Western Digital SATA3
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
USB: Gigabyte breakout adapter connected to the onboard USB 2.0 header
Display: Two Asus PA246Q displays (one on DVI, the other on HDMI)

Then I proceeded with:

1) I used Unibeast 6.1.1 to load OS X 10.11.1 onto a 16GB Sandisk USB 2.0 flash drive. I also copied over:

Clover Configurator v4.25.0
http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/

AtherosL1cEthernet.kext (not sure if this is the same as above)
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/374-atherosl1cethernetkext/

MultiBeast 8.0.1
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=298

Latest NVIDIA web driver

2) Using scogzy's instructions, I reflashed the BIOS from a different FAT32-formatted flash drive to erase all entries in the boot option menu. Somehow these entries persist long after their corresponding boot volumes are removed from the system. I was already running F9 but the flash utility did not have a problem overwriting with F9.

3) Like scogzy's BIOS instructions, I loaded the optimized defaults and selected AHCI for the SATA mode. I verified that virtualization support was disabled. Then I set the current date and time. That last step is important, because otherwise the El Capitan installer will throw the error: "OS X could not be installed on your computer. No packages were eligible for install" and will refuse to proceed. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...r-computer-no-packages-were-eligible-ins.html

4) I rebooted with the El Capitan USB flash drive plugged in to one of the motherboard's USB 2.0 ports.

5) Before booting the installer, I added "nv_disable=1" to the Clover options because of my NVIDIA card.

6) The HDD I intended to install El Capitan on had previously been formatted as GUID, but I noticed that reformatting it with Disk Utility in the installer’s environment did not overwrite the old bootloader on the HDD. To ensure that this portion of the drive was erased, I formatted the drive as MBR and then as GUID.

7) I installed El Capitan following the installer’s instructions, rebooted, added "nv_disable=1" to the Clover options again, then booted from the HDD.

8) After configuring OS X as required by the installer, I launched MultiBeast and exactly like scogzy, I only selected UEFI Boot Mode, installed, and rebooted from the HDD (again entering "nv_disable=1" in the Clover options).

9) Upon logging in, I launched Clover Configurator. I mounted the HDD's EFI partition from within Clover Configurator and selected EFI -> EFI -> CLOVER -> config.plist as the config file.

10) I copied the AtherosL1cEthernet.kext from my Sandisk flash drive into EFI/CLOVER/kext/10.11 through the Finder

11) I selected System Parameters -> Inject Kext -> Yes in Clover Configurator

12) I saved the config.plist in Clover Configurator, making absolutely sure it was the one in EFI -> EFI -> CLOVER -> config.plist

13) I rebooted (again entering "nv_disable=1" in the Clover options), installed the NVIDIA web driver, and rebooted again without the nv_disable option.

14) Re-enable virtualization support in the BIOS if using a virtual machine through something like Parallels Desktop.

Other notes:

Unlike scogzy's instructions, I did not install a driver for the onboard audio. While I was able to get it to function during one of my failed El Capitan installs, the audio from my hardware was very distorted. I highly recommend sacrificing a USB port for a cheap Syba USB audio module, which has worked on every OS X system I've used without a driver.

Sleep functions as I expect it to. That is, the system quickly goes to and recovers from sleep without USB devices suddenly disconnecting. I tried various combinations of USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices in both the onboard USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports as well as the USB 2.0 ports connected to the internal header without issue in terms of expected data transfer rates and functionality after waking from sleep.

El Capitan installed and is working nearly perfectly, (when the is awaken from sleep audio no longer works - I'll fix that at a later date).

Change your system definition to iMac13,2
Although system definition (SMBIOS) MacPro3,1 works just fine on a Z77-DS3H, it will break audio after long sleep when using Toleda's CloverALC patch.

Next, update the BIOS to version f9. Boot into BIOS and make the following changes:

1. Load Optimized Defaults
2. In Peripherals: SATA Mode Selection set to ACHA
3. That's it.
here's one more;

3. set Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage to Disabled (this prevents Z77-DS3H from losing USB devices after long sleep)

Note, if you update your BIOS to F11a then you get additional options in your UEFI BIOS that support Windows 8 and later which means you will need to apply the additional BIOS settings;

4. Set VT-d to Disabled if your CPU supports it
5. Set Secure Boot Mode to Disabled
6. Set OS Type to Other OS

Unlike scogzy's instructions, I did not install a driver for the onboard audio. While I was able to get it to function during one of my failed El Capitan installs, the audio from my hardware was very distorted. I highly recommend sacrificing a USB port for a cheap Syba USB audio module, which has worked on every OS X system I've used without a driver.

I am distortion free with onboard Realtek audio

Have you compared your rear port audio with your headphone audio?

I used to have a cheap case which gave me static and distortion from the front port headphone socket only (probably due to poor shielding on the headphone port and wiring loom to the motherboard) and after i upgraded my case the issue disappeared.

Hey all. Have the same board and having an annoying time getting into the installer. Using revision 1.1 of the board and the latest bios at F9. The point of the directions that are questionable to me is whether to format the install USB as MBR or GUID. I have tried the GUID method numerous times, used UNIBEAST, and get the same result when booting from the USB, "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device."

Doesn't matter which usb port the usb is in. I have tried this numerous times with Unibeast and even tried this just with straight createmediainstall command and clover installed separately.

We have a very problem free board for the most part, not exactly sure why all of a sudden there's this issue booting into USB. All I can think of is that it's the GUID of the usb not being seen.

I've got this same MB, and I have successfully installed El Capitan, except for one thing: I cannot boot it up without the USB drive. I have installed Clover, and I have tried to the best of my ability to follow the directions above to configure, but it still refuses to boot with the USB drive. (When I try, it brings up the screen where I choose Windows or Mac, choosing Mac leads to a black screen with a white Apple and a status bar. The Status bar slowly fills up, and never goes any further.)

I am presuming that my problem is getting Clover's config.plist set right. I would try to copy the plist from my USB drive, but it does not show up in the finder. (Sometimes the USB is hidden entirely, sometimes I can only see the Install El Capitan file, along with what appears to be an empty EFI folder.)

Any suggestions? Also, would it help if someone with this same MB setup could share their config.plist?

Thanks!

I've got this same MB, and I have successfully installed El Capitan, except for one thing: I cannot boot it up without the USB drive. I have installed Clover, and I have tried to the best of my ability to follow the directions above to configure, but it still refuses to boot with the USB drive. (When I try, it brings up the screen where I choose Windows or Mac, choosing Mac leads to a black screen with a white Apple and a status bar. The Status bar slowly fills up, and never goes any further.)

I am presuming that my problem is getting Clover's config.plist set right. I would try to copy the plist from my USB drive, but it does not show up in the finder. (Sometimes the USB is hidden entirely, sometimes I can only see the Install El Capitan file, along with what appears to be an empty EFI folder.)

Any suggestions? Also, would it help if someone with this same MB setup could share their config.plist?

Thanks!

Install Clover to the ESP. Be sure that HFSPlus.efi is in Drivers64UEFI. Attach Clover folder from EFI. Remove themes folder and attach as a zip.

Install Clover to the ESP. Be sure that HFSPlus.efi is in Drivers64UEFI. Attach Clover folder from EFI. Remove themes folder and attach as a zip.

I did the "Install Clover to the ESP", could not find the option for the HFSPlus.efi in the Drivers64UEFI section.

Are you asking me to attach a copy of my EFI folder to this thread?

Here it is, if this is what you are looking for. :)

Attachments

• CLOVER copy.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 396
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back